Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apparently Blew the Oral Interview

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Apparently Blew the Oral Interview

    Hi all:

    What a long weekend. So, I aced the written exam and maxxed the physical, but apparently blew the oral interview. I'm a little demoralized. I was pretty dang nervous at the interview, but I felt I gave "strong" -- and more importantly, honest -- answers to their questions. But I scored a "below average"!

    The thing I can't figure out is... why? Speaking to some friends of mine, I felt my answers were stronger... I would've thought I scored at least an "average" -- nervous, yes, but smart. Never-the-less, I scored below average. This sunk my final score from the top 10% to a little better than the top 20%. Any clues where I went wrong? Is being nervous really taken that seriously? Has anyone ever blown their oral interview and survived/flourished? Thoughts or advice on how to proceed? Or should I give up the dream?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Hamza View Post
    Hi all:

    What a long weekend. So, I aced the written exam and maxxed the physical, but apparently blew the oral interview. I'm a little demoralized. I was pretty dang nervous at the interview, but I felt I gave "strong" -- and more importantly, honest -- answers to their questions. But I scored a "below average"!

    The thing I can't figure out is... why? Speaking to some friends of mine, I felt my answers were stronger... I would've thought I scored at least an "average" -- nervous, yes, but smart. Never-the-less, I scored below average. This sunk my final score from the top 10% to a little better than the top 20%. Any clues where I went wrong? Is being nervous really taken that seriously? Has anyone ever blown their oral interview and survived/flourished? Thoughts or advice on how to proceed? Or should I give up the dream?

    I failed tons of orals, I have even choked on internal promotional orals but I am a cop and eventually acheived all the promotions I have thus far tested for. Keep at it.
    Originally posted by FJDave
    GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

    District B13
    "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm


    Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

    "I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

    Pope Gregory V II

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Garbage Man View Post
      I failed tons of orals, I have even choked on internal promotional orals but I am a cop and eventually acheived all the promotions I have thus far tested for. Keep at it.
      Thanks, that gives me hope!

      Comment


      • #4
        This happens.

        I have always figured that I am really good at oral boards because usually when I take them I score well. I just got the reults back from my latest one and I completely bombed it. It was really heartbreaking because this is my number one department, but I'll move on. I have another oral later today.

        I even posted a thread about. http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=96104

        Comment


        • #5
          I wouldn't sweat it. Not all orals are the same and some can be unusually complicated.

          I used to work for an agency where the oral board scoring system was very structured to ensure all candidates were treated equally. For each question asked, we had certain acceptable response elements we were looking for. You got a point for each acceptable response element you gave, up to the maximum allowable points for that question. You could give an eloquent, well thought out five minute response to a question, but if you failed to include the key elements we were looking for, you got zero points for that question. The problem was trying to figure out what elements we scored on.

          Similarly, there were certain actions we felt were very unacceptable in response to some of the scenario questions. If you gave an unacceptable action as part of your answer, you automatically failed that question, even if you got all the other elements right. Again, the problem was trying to figure out what specific actions we would fail you on.

          It could be that your oral board was highly structured like ours and while you gave strong answers, you missed the elements they were scoring on, or gave what they felt was an unacceptable response to a question.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

          Comment


          • #6
            I took an Oral for Tustin PD with three other co workers, One of us was hired the rest of us had our oral answers inserted into our rectums forcefully.

            I remember it like a root canal. The scenario (we only had the one they ended the interview after this question and ordered us to leave) was we are on duty and catch an off duty officer doing the nasty with an on duty officers wife in a car. The on duty was our back up. We cancel him then send the ilicit couple on their way. They then aks "thats it?' And The three of us who are not working there, all said "Yep thats about it."

            Thats when the female LT goes nuts telling us how the on duty guy has now gone home and found the two together and killed them A la a La Mesa PD deal. She is screaming at this point "Hello! any bells going off in your head? Think maybe you should have told a supervisor?" I sheepishly reply "I never said I wouldnt, given time to think about it I might have told a supervisor."

            She then asks "Dont you think we have the right to know whats is gong on in an officers life at all times!" I replied "No not really"

            Interview over.

            The guy who got hired volunteered "I'd call a supervisor" Immediatly..so thats what they were looling for
            Originally posted by FJDave
            GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

            District B13
            "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm


            Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

            "I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

            Pope Gregory V II

            Comment


            • #7
              Could the way you answer the questions also be as big of a factors as to your actual answers?

              Comment


              • #8
                I've been to several oral boards for both LE and non LE jobs lately. With each one you do you get better at it. When you leave, critique your own performance, be honest with yourself about your strong and weak points and commit yourself to doing better next time. You will become more confident, have better answers and appear less nervous with each additional experience. Keep trying, best of luck.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Illinois Edmond View Post
                  Could the way you answer the questions also be as big of a factors as to your actual answers?
                  We could only score based on content of the answers. If the applicant seemed unsure, we had to let him flounder, If we asked leading questions that would point him to a correct answer (Would you consider doing such and such?) it would be considered giving him the answer and could void the entire testing process.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Very interesting. Ya'll are right when you say this is an opportunity to crumple or stand -- and I'm no crumpler. I'll try and learn from the experience what I can.

                    And, while it's highly doubtful, I may yet get the call, but as for applying to other agencies that may be more difficult. Unfortunately, the agency where I applied to is not only my #1 pick but my only choice, as I'm being relocated to that agency's particular city by my current employer. And If I don't get the call, I'll be going to get my business degree in the same location. We'll see what happens!

                    Comment

                    MR300x250 Tablet

                    Collapse

                    What's Going On

                    Collapse

                    There are currently 9336 users online. 526 members and 8810 guests.

                    Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                    Welcome Ad

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X