300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a BI obtain medical records?

Hey everyone, great forum here...it really helps with a lot of questions...

Anyway, my questions is in regaurds to just how extensive a BI can go. I scored really well for a few very prestigeous agencies in NY that I know have intense backround investigations. I'm certain I will get called pretty soon due to my score. However, in my past (a few years ago), I needed to be hospitalized and needed further care afterwards. I'm certain if they did find out about this it would be an immediate DQ. I'm pretty certain that all medical records are held in strict confidence. However, do you file release forms when meeting with a BI to give permission to obtain medical records?
    My record is totally clean arrest wise. Also, would seat belt violations or (LOTS) of parking tickets from college (all paid) be grounds for DQ?

Thanks a LOT!
    Last edited by FutureNCPD; 07-20-2008, 03:31 PM. Reason: smiley in wrong place

Originally posted by FutureNCPD View Post
    I needed to be hospitalized and needed further care afterwards. I'm certain if they did find out about this it would be an immediate DQ. I'm pretty certain that all medical records are held in strict confidence.
    This statement doesn't sit well with me. Are you planing on not disclosing this condition that would possibly result in a automatic DQ? I'm just trying to understand what exactly you're asking here.
    "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

The short answer is maybe. If the agency is concerned about your psychological history they will want you to sign releases to obtain the needed information. If the agency does not feel your psychological past is relevant then they will not ask you to sign the releases. If they ask and you refuse you just gave up your chance at the job.
      But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

You have to give up some of your medical privacy during the screening process. If you think a prior condition could DQ you, be honest about it, and explain why you think it's no longer a problem. You apparently think the public is not unwise to trust you with the authority of a Police Officer.

Comment

Well to be perfectly honest, when I was about 17 (I am now 24) I suffered a mild injury and was perscribed vicodin to help with the pain. I became addicted to the pills and after a few months, maybe a year peroid, felt that it was best if I went to a detox and then a 30 day rehabilitation program afterwards. I did so and quite frankly, have never looked back. I am currently very healthy both mentaly and physically. I am currently finishing my last semester to recieve my BA in Accounting and Information Systems, but I feel my true calling is to be a police officer. I haven't done any illegal drugs in many years. I feel this may come up because I think the BI will see that I had to withdraw from school and will want me to explain the gap. Should I be concerned? What would be my best course of action regaurding this matter? Would honesty about this subject matter be an immediate DQ?

Also, I have been reading through many threads, but am curious from an actual officer or BI what the next step will be for me. They are currently .25pts above my score as far as the people they have called. From asking around I have deduced that I will be called within the next 6 months (max.)
          Any further guidance is greatly appreciated.

Comment

The fact that you cant decide whether or not to disclose this tells me that you arent police officer material.

Also, the BI will probably ask you for all screen names you use on the internet, and any websites you post on. So make sure to give the BI your o.com screen name, so they can read this thread for themselves. You think they wont find out, HA! Trust me, they will. Oh yeahh another thing, that polygraph test................

Comment

With most of the agencies that I applied with you had to sign a release of information for any and all medical records.

Also, like stated above, the fact that you are thinking about not disclosing a potentially disqualifying situation leads me to believe that you don't need to be in this profession.

Comment

FutureNCPD:

I think it's great that you managed to stop being strung out on narcotics.

Let's take another look at your line of inquiry.

If your having formerly been on narcotics would DQ you, don't you think that not being honest about it would DQ you even quicker? If you're someone who would try to lie his way through the BI, do you think anyone on this forum would try to help you do that?

That doesn't look like sound judgement to me.

Also, you referred to vicodin (hydrocodone with acetaminophen) and to "illegal" drugs. Does that mean you obtained the pills illegally? Did you find a way to have a physician sign the prescriptions, or did you go to some dope dealer? Are you allowed to tell?

I agree with the other posters who expressed doubt about your being a good candidate for a police job. I'm sure that's not something you want to look at, but I think it's probably good for you too see it. It's right for others to be honest to you, just as it's right for you to be honest to others. I'm sure your BI won't like hearing about the former addict thing, but I'm sure he'd rather hear about it than later find you to have hidden it.

I think you should just go be honest, and if you get DQd, at least you were man enough to be honest and take responsibility about your past actions.

Best wishes to you for your permanent continuation of staying off of all things harmful.

Regards,

Monty
                Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 07-21-2008, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Yeah does she put cheese in it or that sugary candy-apple-red sauce on top? I don't understand the appeal of that. I like a plainer meatloaf.

Comment

Preach it on brother Monty!

Comment

Let me put it this way...every department is different on what type/amount of prior drug use is allowed. It will be scrutinized, but isn't necessarily an automatic DQ. Getting caught lying, however, is.

But as others have said, if it's even a dilemma in your mind on whether or not to tell the truth, consider another career. You will face far more difficult dilemmas in this job and if this one is throwing you a curve, it's time to step back and rethink.

Comment

If your honest about it then you might be hired.

If you lie they will find out and then you will never be hired by anybody, ever.
                        Originally posted by FJDave
                        GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
                        "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

Originally posted by FutureNCPD View Post
                          Well to be perfectly honest, when I was about 17 (I am now 24) I suffered a mild injury and was perscribed vicodin to help with the pain. I became addicted to the pills and after a few months, maybe a year peroid, felt that it was best if I went to a detox and then a 30 day rehabilitation program afterwards. I did so and quite frankly, have never looked back. I am currently very healthy both mentaly and physically. I am currently finishing my last semester to recieve my BA in Accounting and Information Systems, but I feel my true calling is to be a police officer. I haven't done any illegal drugs in many years. I feel this may come up because I think the BI will see that I had to withdraw from school and will want me to explain the gap. Should I be concerned? What would be my best course of action regaurding this matter? Would honesty about this subject matter be an immediate DQ?

Also, I have been reading through many threads, but am curious from an actual officer or BI what the next step will be for me. They are currently .25pts above my score as far as the people they have called. From asking around I have deduced that I will be called within the next 6 months (max.)
                          Any further guidance is greatly appreciated.
                          I share the concerns of my colleagues regarding your integrity. The mere fact that you'd consider concealing a potential DQ situation concerns me. More importantly,it will also concern any agency to which you apply. While we're not looking for saints to enter the LE profession, we are looking for men and women of integrity. While your medical records are confidential, you'll be required to sign a release/waiver authorizing the doctor/hospital to release your record to a BI. In examining your explanation of the drug use,it's possible an agency would allow you to remain in the process. Several factors would enter into the decision. You might have a shot, if the drug(s) you had the problem with, was the one prescribed for you. The final word on that decision will be made by the dept you apply to. If you're serious about pursuing a career in law enforcement, full disclosure of your past situation will be required. Failure to do so, or any attempt at concealing/altering the situation will almost certainly be a DQ.

Comment

*Almost an Officer*

One of the LE agencies I applied to made me sign release forms authorizing the major hospitals in my area to release any records they held on me. I had been to one of those hospitals before before (wont' discuss details here) so therefore they found out about the "visit". I was also asked about said situation on the polygraph as well. As every one else has stated already, you need to be upfront about every thing, especially material facts about your qualifications and personal history.

Comment

Originally posted by usmcrob
                              Preach it on brother Monty!
                              OK, Marine. Here's a little preachment:

1-1/2 maybe 2 lb. 80%-90% lean ground beef
                              2 eggs
                              about 1 bag bread crumbs (I like the Pepperidge Farm)
                              1 spanish onion
                              1 green pepper (optional -- cubano or poblano or banana pepper)
                              a little salt and black pepper, maybe some sage or other mild seasonings

no tomato stuff at this stage, maybe after it's served

knead it all together, adjusting the bread crumbs amount to get a not-too-moist not-too-dry texture

bake in loaf pan at 350 for about an hour

Mmm. Civilian MREs. Ketchup or A1 is allowed after it's served. You can even throw on some cheese at this stage if you want, but I don't.

Much better than my favorite Italian chef's civilian MREs (beefaroni etc.)

Regards,

Monty
                              Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 07-22-2008, 11:02 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5029 users online. 283 members and 4746 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X