300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditional Offers

Okay, I am asking this question because I am anxious. I am in the hiring process with AZ DPS. I have completed everything successfully. I scored very high on my oral boards and written.I am as healthy as an ox and I am not crazy! LOL. I recieved a conditional offer before I took my poly, which I passed. I am now having my background done which,with DPS is the last step they take. I have never been arrested, I have had two traffic tickets, the last of which was 6 years ago. Never touched a drug in my life. I own my own home, both of my cars are paid for and my credit is in the high 700's. I have an Associates Degree in Business and am working on my Bachelors. I have a steady work history and am at my current job for almost three years. I speak a second language as well. (Portuguese) Not too needed here but is close enough to Spanish that I can communicate quite well in Spanish. Anyway, I have solid references, two of which are LEOs and one is in the academy. Is there anything else they look for? Does everything look good to those of you that have done backgrounds? What do conditional offers mean? They said that if I pass my background and medical and psyc and poly then they would hire me. I know I passed all of those. I guess I am just anxious is all. You all have been through this fun waiting game. I will be going from a job I hate to a job I love and that makes the wait all that much harder. Thanks for everyone's input.
    -Protect human life and property by enforcing
    state laws, deterring criminal activity, assuring the safety of the motoring public on Arizona’s
    highways and providing vital scientific, technical and operational support to other criminal
    justice agencies.

You're right, the wait sucks. But... on the bright side, you seem well on your way to a career with Arizona DPS. PhilipCal might be able to offer you some more advice as to what they look at during your background. I believe DPS was his department.

As far as what I know... everything you listed makes it sound like you'll do just fine during the investigation. Don't sweat it, and be patient.
    sigpic

Comment

Hey thanks. It helps me relax a little when LEO's say that everything looks good. Sometimes it almost seems too good to be true. I love this field, I am passionate about it and there are few things that I have wanted this badly. My wife was the only other and she isn't a thing! When I was 16 and 17 I was a little wild, nothing major but I grew up in a small town so we made fun happen, if you know what I mean. Everything was disclosed though during the poly and in my application. Nothing I was ever caught or cited for. (driving while slightly intoxicated when I was 17.) Anyway, thanks again.
      state laws, deterring criminal activity, assuring the safety of the motoring public on Arizona’s
      highways and providing vital scientific, technical and operational support to other criminal
      justice agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by kamman View Post
        What do conditional offers mean? They said that if I pass my background and medical and psyc and poly then they would hire me. I know I passed all of those.
        It is a bona fide offer of employment that is conditioned on your passing the background and medical and psyc and poly. If you passed all of those, then you are in. Now you just have to wait for an appointment date and start getting in shape for the academy.

Congrats!
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Ok, Thank you. My BI is finishing up my background now. I just wondered if there was anything else they looked for besides what was mentioned. (work history, legal issues, credit, debt). I feel like I should be there, I am in but it is limbo still. When do I start? How much longer will I be at my current job? I just can't wait to have difinitive answers. Hopefully within a year I can give my .02 as an LEO!
          justice agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by kamman View Post
            Ok, Thank you. My BI is finishing up my background now. I just wondered if there was anything else they looked for besides what was mentioned. (work history, legal issues, credit, debt). I feel like I should be there, I am in but it is limbo still. When do I start? How much longer will I be at my current job? I just can't wait to have difinitive answers. Hopefully within a year I can give my .02 as an LEO!
            Every state (and agency) may do their backgrounds a little differently. But to get a general feel for what they look at, check out: http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/bim/bi.pdf

When you will start is anyone's guess. It will depend on a number of factors such as:

1. What position your hold on the hiring list in relation to the number of vacancies to be filled. If they are hiring 30 for the next class and you are number 20, you will probably go with the next class. But if you are number 45, you will probably go with the class after that.

2. When academy classes are scheduled may play a role. Many agencies won't hire you until the academy starts. Others may hire you earlier for an in-house orientation. Each agency is different.

3. Fiscal constraints and/or games may dictate hiring dates. Many agencies operate on a July 1 to June 30 fiscal year. Your agency may not have spending authority to fill your position until sometime after July 1, the start of the new fiscal year. In addition, many departments play a game called "salary savings" where they deliberately do not fill a vacancy for a short period and then divert your unspent salary and benefit money for equipment. We are getting towards the end of the fiscal year when equipment budgets may be running low. It is possible your agency may play salary savings with your position until the start of the new fiscal year.

OTOH, if your background, medical, psych and poly are complete and all the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed on your paperwork, you could get the call in a week or two, It's anyone's guess.

Comment

Thanks for that information. I know that DPS is running an academy right now every other month. The next one is in July. Everything is done but my background at this point. She started that last week. I don't know how long they usually take. I am hoping that she will get everything done and I will get a call in time to start in July. That would be sweet. I am right there, so close, yet seems so far away LOL. Thanks L-1
              justice agencies.

Comment

Have you completed the physical and the psych?

Comment

Everything is done including photo ID and fingerprinting. I looked at the link you sent. Thanks. It seems AZDPS does everything a little backwards. They don't mess with the background until EVERYTHING else is done. I don't know, but there is a reason why. So yes, everything is done including physical, poly and psych. I did Psych, then physical and then I went in to do my poly and they gave me a conditional offer, I complete my poly that same hour and passed. That was the last step before they started my background. That was what my original question was. Because I have a conditional offer and based on what my background looks like, do I have the job? Am I just waiting for the official word and shouldn't worry about my background because it is clean or are there other things they are looking for besides the above listed. (work history, credit, debt, criminal history etc.)
                  justice agencies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5496 users online. 392 members and 5104 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X