300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Background Packet

I took my oral board and drug test at the beginning of April, got my oral test results about two and a half weeks after that (passed) and I am told they are in the background check process. However, I never received a background packet and I'm coming up on two months since the tests. I called about two weeks ago and asked about the process, and the reply was, "Don't contact us, we'll contact you." (I didn't mention that I didn't get a packet) I'm a little concerned now after reading a lot of other threads here as it seems that most candidates here got their background packets right after the oral board, but its going on 2 months and I haven't heard anything from them. Despite what they told me, should I call them and ask about the packet?
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

My best guess is that your overall tests scores are not high enough for you to be reachable at this time. As I'm sure you are aware, most agencies develop a hiring list based on test scores. Highest score is #1, second highest score is #2, etc. Candidates are usually hired based on the order of their score. Let's assume your scores put you at number 10 on the eligible (hiring) list. Let's also assume they only have four vacancies at the moment. This means there are nine people ahead of you with higher test scores to fill those four positions. They may be in the background phase, but actually doing your background right now is pointless, because they first have to do backgrounds on, and hire others who are higher on the list before they can work their way down to you.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      My best guess is that your overall tests scores are not high enough for you to be reachable at this time. As I'm sure you are aware, most agencies develop a hiring list based on test scores. Highest score is #1, second highest score is #2, etc. Candidates are usually hired based on the order of their score. Let's assume your scores put you at number 10 on the eligible (hiring) list. Let's also assume they only have four vacancies at the moment. This means there are nine people ahead of you with higher test scores to fill those four positions. They may be in the background phase, but actually doing your background right now is pointless, because they first have to do backgrounds on, and hire others who are higher on the list before they can work their way down to you.
      I'm number 27, and there are over 100 vacancies actually.
      "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
      -Chris Rock

Comment

Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
        I'm number 27, and there are over 100 vacancies actually.
        And how many background investigators do they have? If you are number 27, I suspect it's going to be a while before they work their way that far down the list.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

be patient.

you have not received "that" letter advising you are out of the running.. hang in there. they'll get to you soon enough.

good luck.

I took my oral board and drug test at the beginning of April, got my oral test results about two and a half weeks after that (passed) and I am told they are in the background check process. However, I never received a background packet and I'm coming up on two months since the tests. I called about two weeks ago and asked about the process, and the reply was, "Don't contact us, we'll contact you." (I didn't mention that I didn't get a packet) I'm a little concerned now after reading a lot of other threads here as it seems that most candidates here got their background packets right after the oral board, but its going on 2 months and I haven't heard anything from them. Despite what they told me, should I call them and ask about the packet?
          ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
          -- John Wayne

Comment

Okay, well, as much as it sucks to wait, at least I know they probably didn't forget about me.
            -Chris Rock

Comment

Okay, well, as much as it sucks to wait, at least I know they probably didn't forget about me.
              Welcome to, perhaps the most frustrating part of the hiring process: Waiting. A word or two concerning Background Investigators. They come in two basic catagories. Those who do Background investigations full time, and those who do them as collateral duty. In either case, they're usually very busy individuals. The Officer who does Backgrounds full time, will typically have several applicant files to work. The Officer who does Backgrounds as a collateral duty, will also have more than one file to work. These are in addition to his/her normal duties. In the event of emergencies or pressing situations, the Background Investigation will go to the back burner until the emergency, or pressing situation is dealt with. It's totally natural for you to focuss on the status of your application, and I can readily understand that. It may be some time before the Investigator can begin working on your file. The good news is that at #27 on the list, with 100 vacancies, it sounds like you're in the running. Hopefully, the department is planning to fill all 100 of those vacancies in the near future. I know it's hard, but try to be patient. You should be hearing something before too long. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks, Phillip. I have a good feeling about those 100 vacancies; they were apparently looking for 80 up until recently when they opened up even more (this is hearsay, though, so we'll see).

I just graduated from college today after three long, hard years at one of most work intensive schools in the country, I have the written test for another department on Tuesday...actually the wait might be good for me.
                -Chris Rock

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5236 users online. 332 members and 4904 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X