Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Question

Hi all,

I have a quick question about an issue that came up recently.

I was at a friend's house who did not have wireless internet. He did have wired internet, but it wasn't working. So, he decided to use the wireless internet of somebody nearby without their permission. I also used it, but not very much. I mostly just watched him. Would this cause any sort of BI issue (for me, not him)?

Thanks,
    E.
    "It peed on me! That's resisting arrest." (Kelso, "That 70's Show")

You might as well give up any ideas of becoming a police officer.

Just kidding.
    "Nuts" ---Lieutenant General Harry Kinnard

Comment

If you took no part in any attempt of hacking into the wireless network, and simply used an unsecured wireless network that was broadcasting, you did nothing wrong! You can't own airwaves, and if someone is going to let their wireless internet open for all to use, it's fair game!
      "When I close my eyes.....I'll see you on the other side....!!!"

Hate to put it this way skippy, buy every night I suit up and climb in the cruiser I'm at war. I'm always outnumbered, potentially out gunned and always behind enemy lines.

Comment

Okay thanks. I didn't really think it would affect me much, but I just thought I would ask.

Gulf Po Po, when I read your post the "just kidding" part was off screen. For a second, I was thinking "What the...? I seriously hope this guy is kidding."

Thanks for the responses Gulf and Omega. Stay safe!

E.

Comment

There was a discussion of this on here quite a while back and opinions varied.

Myself, I'm not sure I agree with Omega on this. Personally, I think using a wireless network without permission is theft of services. The service is paid for by another and is limited in capacity (bandwidth), so tapping into that network could easily effect access by the authorized user. Just because it isn't secured doesn't make it public access (if I leave my truck unlocked, that doesn't mean anybody can drive it).
          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

You need to check your state's laws. Even though it is broadcast in the clear, it is illegal to connect in California without permission of the person paying the bill. PC 502(c)(7).
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

As Bing-Oh said, I do believe that it was theft of services. That is why I did not use the internet. He is the one who did all of this, except for a few VERY minor things that I did, such as just tell him to leave something buffering (a song on an artists web site). I am not trying to say that I am completely innocent. I know that it was wrong, and I had a feeling about it the whole time. In fact, there were some things I had wanted to show him but I didn't because of the issue being discussed.

Bing-Oh and L-1, you brought up some points. For the sake of this forum, let's say that it was illegal. Would this in any way affect me getting a job in later life as a LEO? (I do realize that I will have to explain it, but will it DQ me?) I think that next time it happens (if it happens), I am just going to tell my friend that I don't want to have anything to do with it.

Thanks,
              E.

Comment

Originally posted by etuvell View Post
                For the sake of this forum, let's say that it [I]was[I] illegal. Would this in any way affect me getting a job in later life as a LEO.

Based on the limited circumstances you describe, I don't see it as being a problem.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

its like watching tv with bunny ears instead of with cable.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distric...ice_Department

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                    You need to check your state's laws. Even though it is broadcast in the clear, it is illegal to connect in California without permission of the person paying the bill. PC 502(c)(7).
                    While I personally believe it is wrong to connect to a wireless network that you don't own (unless express permission has been granted), there is a very good argument that since your computer has to ask the wireless AP/router for an IP address, you've asked for and, if allowed to connect, received permission to join that network. Either way, I keep mine locked down as tight as the technology allows right now.
                    “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

Legal here as long as you don't hack to get it.
                      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

As long as you aren't hacking into the person's information, it's not illegal (or so i'm told). People have the option to lock their wireless router, but if it's not locked there shouldn't be a problem with using it. And there is no way something that little would DQ you!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4435 users online. 222 members and 4213 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X