300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• current job

Should I quit from my current job before going in for an interview with a police department? Or will they be fine if I'm already employed and then quit from my current job when I finally get hired as a cop?

Because on all the applications I have to fill out, it always asks you to name your previous employers, and it asks when I started working and stopped working, and reason for leaving. So if I list my current employer, what do I put for "stopped working" and "reason for leaving" because I didn't stop working, I'm stilll working.

Someone told me it's unprofessional to apply for a job when you are currently already employed, because it tells the new job you are applying for that when a new job comes along you will quit for the better job.

What should I do?

On one hand, I need a job right now to pay the bills until I get a job as an officer eventually. On the other hand, if no police agencies will hire someone that is already employed, and I really, really want a job as an officer, I guess I will have to quit my job for now and live on welfare?

Originally posted by gadphto89 View Post
    Should I quit from my current job before going in for an interview with a police department? Or will they be fine if I'm already employed and then quit from my current job when I finally get hired as a cop?

Because on all the applications I have to fill out, it always asks you to name your previous employers, and it asks when I started working and stopped working, and reason for leaving. So if I list my current employer, what do I put for "stopped working" and "reason for leaving" because I didn't stop working, I'm stilll working.

Someone told me it's unprofessional to apply for a job when you are currently already employed, because it tells the new job you are applying for that when a new job comes along you will quit for the better job.

What should I do?

On one hand, I need a job right now to pay the bills until I get a job as an officer eventually. On the other hand, if no police agencies will hire someone that is already employed, and I really, really want a job as an officer, I guess I will have to quit my job for now and live on welfare?
    If you need money to pay your bills then why in the world would you quit your job? People make career moves all the time and transition with one job to the next. When I was hired my last day was on a saturday and 36 hours later I started my first day in the academy.

Comment

You have no guarantee you'll get the police job. It would be foolish to quit your present job, and not get the police appointment on top of that.

Comment

Well so when the paperwork asks for my employment history, what should I put? Because all applications that want your work history listed, will ask when you left the employment and the reason you left.

But if I'm still employed there, do I just not list that place, or what do I do?

Comment

Originally posted by gadphto89 View Post
          Well so when the paperwork asks for my employment history, what should I put? Because all applications that want your work history listed, will ask when you left the employment and the reason you left.

But if I'm still employed there, do I just not list that place, or what do I do?
          When they ask for the ending employment date for your current position, you enter the word "Present." When they ask why you left your current position, you write the words "Currently Employed".
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Most departments understand that you will still be working while in the hiring process which can take several months. We don't expect you or want you to be on welfare. Many agencies will give you a minimum of two weeks notice before your position starts so you can quit your current job.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7611 users online. 439 members and 7172 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X