300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being DQ'ed and no reason given

I have read a number of posts in here as well as in the state specific forums that a number of canidates get letters saying that they have been DQ'ed from the hiring process and there ZERO reason given as to why. How is the canidate expected to fix the problem if he doesnt know what it is? And if it is something that he cant fix at least a note saying "Do yourself a favor and stop applying to agencies, that one thing in band camp really got you".

I understand that becoming an LEO is a highly competative field, but as a potential canidate, why is so bad to know why you were DQ'ed from the process. For the life of me I dont understand why the agencies wont tell you WHY they DQ'ed you.

I have not been DQ'ed from any of the agencies I have applyed to but its frustrating to hear about other guys here that want this job so bad thier teeth hurt and they are given no valid reason as to why they were cut from the hiring process.

Can anyone give me a little insight into this please.
    sigpic

probably liability reasons why they don't tell you. you can probably contact someone in recruiting or backgrounds and see if they can give you an answer. i was DQed from San Diego PD a while back. I contacted a background sgt. who was straight up with me and told me why.

i think most applicants would know why they were DQed, esp if it's something serious, like bad credit, bad employment, drug use, criminal history, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronze View Post
      I have read a number of posts in here as well as in the state specific forums that a number of canidates get letters saying that they have been DQ'ed from the hiring process and there ZERO reason given as to why. How is the canidate expected to fix the problem if he doesnt know what it is? And if it is something that he cant fix at least a note saying "Do yourself a favor and stop applying to agencies, that one thing in band camp really got you".

I understand that becoming an LEO is a highly competative field, but as a potential canidate, why is so bad to know why you were DQ'ed from the process. For the life of me I dont understand why the agencies wont tell you WHY they DQ'ed you.

I have not been DQ'ed from any of the agencies I have applyed to but its frustrating to hear about other guys here that want this job so bad thier teeth hurt and they are given no valid reason as to why they were cut from the hiring process.

Can anyone give me a little insight into this please.
      The only reply I can really give you is this. Prior to applying, examine the posted qualifications for the department which interests you. Measure yourself objectively against those standards, which almost always will list instances which would disqualify an applicant. If you feel you meet the basic requirements, and there are no instances in your past which would DQ you, then,begin the application process. Departments quite often provide no reason for a DQ or non-select. I can understand your feelings on that subject, but don't look for it to change anytime soon. I realize this reply probably falls pretty short of answering your question. It's about as close as I can come though. Best of luck in your future applications.

Comment

If you fail a portion of the testing process (written, oral, physical agility, medical, psych) most agencies are fairly clear about what part you failed, but getting much more than that is usually difficult.

If you failed the written or oral, they won't talk about the questions you missed because it could jeopardize test security (remember, these same questions will probably be used in future tests.) If you failed the medical they will usually tell you what the problem was in general terms (orthopedic, hearing, heart, etc.) but won't go into detail beyond that because most HR people are not qualified to discuss medicine and they can't afford to pay doctors their hourly fees to have these types of talks with applicants. Ditto with the psych.

Backgrounds are also touchy because the Department usually does not want to say or do anything that reveals the identity of persons who provided confidential information.

In California, if a department DQs someone and refuses to provide a reason, the applicant needs to file an appeal, not with the department they have applied with, but with the civil service body of the city, county, or state that the department is a part of. In most (but not all) instances, the department has to provide a reasonable basis for the DQ at the appeal hearing if they wish to sustain it.

Additionally, California has a case decision that gives failed applicants access to their background packages (although it may take threats from an attorney or actual court action to actually see the file). You can find this cases at: http://online.ceb.com/CalCases/CA3/127CA3d435.htm
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6432 users online. 247 members and 6185 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X