300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another background Q but a doozy

I'm embarrassed to say it took me ten years to figure out that what I wanted to be was an officer of the law. I kept thinking: I want to do something different, I want to serve my community, I want to protect those who can not protect themselves --it's a pity it didn't occur to me.

Consequently, I went to a school I hated for a degree I had no interest in at a cost of many thousands $. -Not the point of the story, just background details.

Shortly after breaking up with my girlfriend 5 years ago (stupid move 'cause I later married her and she continues to rub in that she knew I would come back) I went on a streak of general sadness and stupidity that lasted maybe a year. In that time I solicited or allowed myself to be solicited by three different women for sex on seperate occasions.

In my state (Texas), one count of prostitution is a Class B Misdemeanor. If one has previously been convicted one or two times of an offense under the same indecency title of the Penal Code , it is a Class A misdemeanor.

The department's qualifications minimums state: Must not admit to, been convicted of, or placed on deferred adjudication for any felony or Class A misdemeanor. AND Must not have been convicted of, or placed on deferred adjudication for a Class B misdemeanor within the last 10 years, or admit to the commission of a Class B misdemeanor within the last 5 years.

So...do I qualify? No convictions, but admission to three commissions -this could be one A Misdemeanor or three B Misdemeanors -either way it's ugly. A large part of me doesn't want to go down the path if certain failure is in the future. The background investigation is going to require my finding family members and ensuring I provide adequate contact information for the BI officer. I don't have contact with any of my siblings and a couple have been incarcerated so I don't want to talk to them or open up contact or invite their nosiness if I don't have to.

There you have it. Do I have a chance?

I don't think anyone here can give you a meaningful answer, because this is one of those gray areas where its really going to depend on the values of whoever passes judgment over backgrounds for the agency you are applying with. You may get someone with a strong sense of morality who will mark you as an automatic DQ. OTOH, you could get a person who views something like this from five years ago as simply falling into the category of "boys will be boys."

The easiest solution is to call the background unit of the agency you are interested in and ask them. It's not a state secret. If it is a DQ, it will save both you and them the time and expense of going through the testing process for nothing. If it is not a DQ, your biggest worry will be over and you can proceed with testing.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Wow. All you can do is suck it up and hope department gives you an "A" for honesty and a "D-" for making decisions. I can't speak to your state of any agency you are looking at.

If you were in Colorado...I would advise you to start with a smaller department. Prove you are a good officer and then go on to what/where it is you ultimately want to go.

Jobs are abundant, but that doesn't mean the high paying departments with lots of competition are looking to hire potential wild-cards.

Prove you have what it takes to be a good cop. Shake off you bad mistakes and take life one step at a time, since your past makes it d*mn near impossible to jump in with both feet.

Just my 2 cents.
      Last edited by Seamonkey6; 03-06-2008, 01:33 AM.
      "Freedom's Never Free"

"Go ahead. Skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens."

Comment

Once again, I fully agree with L-1's reply. Most, and note I say most, Background Investigators have been down the road themselves. I can sit here and speculate all day, but at the end of it, that will be all I've done. I recommend you speak to a Recruiter, or Background Investigator for the reasons L-1 referenced. As he noted, it's not a "state secret".

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The irony is it's hard to get a hold of anyone at this department to ask. It's interesting Seamonkey suggested a smaller department. Dallas PD is hiring 125 this year and from what I can see competition is stronger and standards much tighter for the other smaller cities in the area than Dallas (the pay is higher and less perceived danger I suppose) Now that I think about it it may have been more like 7 years ago..2001 seems right.

The part that really bothers me is that some of the things I've seen yeah the experiences, the neighborhoods, the broken families (my wife was a social worker) makes me repulsed at what I did ('cause they are more victim than I am) and I want to change that event. Obviously I can't...

Comment

Obviously you have a sin to confess on your background, but unless I'm reading this wrong it doesn't sound like you committed an A misdemeanor, because in order for it to be an A misdemeanor you have to have been previously convicted. ie: if had been arrested for it the last time you would have been charged with a B misdemeanor regardless as to whether or not you did it in the past already.

I'm not personally familiar with the laws in your neck of the woods, but I'm basing this on what you posted.

Additionally, both states I've worked in had separate offenses for prostitution and soliciting prostitution (ie: the John didn't break the same law as the hooker). Are you looking at a law against prostitution or soliciting?

Comment

They're under the same section of public indecency. I know I know I should contact a background investigator but this department's hours are almost idenical to my work hours (I only get thirty minutes for lunch so I'm eatin during that time)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4350 users online. 274 members and 4076 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X