Bad luck strikes on week of PE test and Psych for Oakland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad luck strikes on week of PE test and Psych for Oakland

Crap. Well I was in for a hard enough time as I am a big guy (5'11", 235 lbs) trying to pass the test. I'm probably 25 lbs heavier that I was at the end of HS (late '04).

I have been hitting the gym trying to lose weight, gain endurance, and build my upper body.

On Monday, I was playfully chasing my girlfriend around the house and *BAM*, my back tightens up to where I have pain breathing.

Needless to say, I think my weight really hurting me. My flexibility is not as good as it was. I'm 22 and thats a rediculous age to be feeling back pain. I have my girlfriend rub my back, step on it, and have been trying to stretch it out at the gym, but it's still a bit sore.

My PA obstacle course for Oakland PD (cones, 5ft wall, 4 ft ditch, 165lb dummy drag, and torsion bars) is Sat at 8AM, followed by my psych test, so it's looks like I'll have to do it on mild pain meds

What can I do to increase my health? I was an athletic person, and still am for my size. But I need to be around 200-210 in my opinion. My current gym circuit is 1.5 miles on eliptical (working towars the standard 1.5 in 14.45 time), soon to be on the tread mill. Then I use a combo of free weight and machine to work my biceps, shoulders and pecs. Lastly, I have been using michines and benches that flew and stretch my back.

The physical part of the academy is my worry. I am pretty smart (gov scholarship 3 years in HS, 61 on P.O.S.T.), have a solid background. I'm hoping I can be around 220 at the start of the Academy in May (if I even get in) and my will and determination will push me thru and allow me to keep up with the class.

I have passed what i think was a more difficult test before (Antioch PD, 1/2 mile in 3:30, 165 lb dummy, sprint 75 yards and jump 6 foot wall) so i believe I can do it.

Anyone have any advice for me?
    Oakland PD Process:
    App sent with POST score: 11/07
    Oral Board Interview: 1/16 PASSED
    PA Test and Psych: 2/23 PASSED
    IQ Test and Photo: 2/26 PASSED
    Polygraph:3/11 PASSES
    Letter on 3/13: DROPPED!
    Cal Bears season ticket holder!

Core

My advice would be stop lifting weights (at least for a bit) and start focusing on core workouts. Also, if you want to increase your flexibility and agility I highly recommend YOGA.

Yeah, I know what some might say but YOGA is an amazing workout.

Also, if your PAT this Sat is pass/fail then do your best to pass without killing yourself. Remember that you are no good to any dept if you injure yourself in the PAT trying to be a stud.

Good luck and hope that back gets better soon.

Comment

also try running outdoors, since running on machines it completely different than outdoors. of course unless the academy you goto does PT on machines.

Comment

I suggest you see a Chiropractor, many have affordable cash options if your insurance doesn't cover it.
        Watch out for the gleaming metal alloys cars!

Comment

saturday is gonna be tough.

i can tell you that i recently hit 40.
          i was 225lbs at 5'8", and really sluggish. my knees were acting up, and i needed a new lease on life.

i started to eat properly. more meals, smaller portions. i snack on veggies and eat tons of fruit. knocked out soda, and juices completely.

got one of these... (not this brand, but similar.)

i dropped 40 lbs, and i am currently trying to find a happy medium between complete fitness and diet, and reality. i think i may be close.

good luck
          ===============================
          Fire burns, and when it rains you get wet.
          Stuff happens.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I believe I have a good shot at passing, so like you suggested, I'll do what I can to just pass, get my back looked at my a chiropractor and then start my traning to be ready for academy if it comes calling.

I know some of my jobs in the past maybe have lead to the discomfort (stacking hay by hand for a feed comp, delivering appliances for Lowes). Also, a change is in the works as far as my diet goes.
            Oakland PD Process:

Comment

Oakland PAT

Response edited
              Last edited by OPD510; 03-20-2014, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I didn't get a chance to do the practice run. I really wanted to but couldn't get the day off work.

I took some pain reliever, stretched well.

Made it thru the course at 2:08. They certainly didn't rell us we had to wear a 12lb belt the whole time. As expected, I missed the wall the first time, then decided to actually USE my feet, and made it fine. Technique, i suppose. Went to the offices to do the Psych and PHQ.

Now I go back this afternoon to do my Wonderlic test, photos and sign my forms for the background.

I've been working out regularly, and I feel great!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Can't wait to see what is next.
                Oakland PD Process:

Comment

Response edited
                  Last edited by OPD510; 03-20-2014, 10:42 PM.

Comment

never mind.............
                    Last edited by beergoggles; 02-29-2008, 02:34 PM. Reason: .

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7032 users online. 272 members and 6760 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                    X