300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application

I am starting to think about all the information and documents I have to prepare for my applications. My question is, does it help having volunteer work documented, organized and signed by the organizers. Also, would it be a plus to add letters of recommendation, one of which being from a retired police chief.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to reading your responses.

In most agencies, the job application merely allows an agency to determine whether you possess the minimum qualifications necessary for admission to the testing process (age, education, citizenship, residency, drivers license, etc.) Providing all that other junk is meaningless at this point. Just fill in the blanks and answer the questions. You don't need to attach anything unless the agency you are applying with specifically states it needs to be submitted with the application. Documents usually aren't needed until you get to the background investigation stage.

As a side note, the selection process in most agencies is based on how high you score on the written and oral exams and not on work experience or letters of recommendation.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by ss13 View Post
      I am starting to think about all the information and documents I have to prepare for my applications. My question is, does it help having volunteer work documented, organized and signed by the organizers. Also, would it be a plus to add letters of recommendation, one of which being from a retired police chief.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to reading your responses.
      In Wisconsin's DJ-LE-330 application (which is what I'm assuming you'll be turning it), section 6, question B gives you the opportunity to include that. I've noticed that some departments specifically state you should include questions A-C, and if they don't, I still include them since they're technically part of the application. When answering this, they don't want you to include any additional pages (it's in the instructions), so explain all of the volunteer work you've done... in one page.

Don't give them extra paper or letters of recommendation until the background stage.
      sigpic

Comment

Thank you for your replies. I have been browsing through the site for about a week now and it’s amazing how much helpful information you guys give. Some of these posts have given me useful information which I would have never known if it wasn’t for this site.

Thanks guys/gals.

Comment

i have a question about documents as well.... i was told you need past tax returns with w-2's. now i called IRS and they asked do i need just a rendition of the past 5 years or the actual copies. I was confused because i thought they will send out the actual copies but they said they don't and if i needed the actual copies i would fill out a 4506-t forum and it will cost me $57 for each copy!!!!. can someone please help me and inform me on what i need to do i would very much appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by KJean26 View Post
            i have a question about documents as well.... i was told you need past tax returns with w-2's. now i called IRS and they asked do i need just a rendition of the past 5 years or the actual copies. I was confused because i thought they will send out the actual copies but they said they don't and if i needed the actual copies i would fill out a 4506-t forum and it will cost me $57 for each copy!!!!. can someone please help me and inform me on what i need to do i would very much appreciate it.
            In all likelihood, taxpayers copies of W-2's and other pertinent documents should be sufficient.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9865 users online. 501 members and 9364 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X