No announcement yet.

Seeing a shrink

300x250 Mobile

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeing a shrink

I've been experiencing alot of unhappiness in my current job which I'm carrying into my personal life. Despite working out regularly, and other stress relief methods, I feel just as frustrated as ever. A friend of mine suggested seeing a shrink for some thoughts on stress relief and trying to figure out what is making me so dissatisfied ect... I'm hesitant to see a shrink however, because I'm afraid of how that would look to an L/E agency that I apply to in the future. I'm currently in the BI phase for one department and they require a release of all medical records including shrinks. I see two ways it could play out: 1. This guys a nut, he can't handle stress-- D/Q; -or- 2. This guy is smart, he recognized stress and dealt with it, rather than bottle it up inside and explode; Then of course I'm terrified that a shrink might document that I'm a skitso or manic-depressive, in which case, bye-bye law enforcement... (lol)

??Any thoughts

Well I could see some cause for concern but if you want my best advice, I would say put the career change on hold and deal with what's more important, which is you. You are obvously thinking about it, so do it if that's what's going to get your mind right.

On the other hand, there are lots of cops who are reluctant to speak to people about their problems so the fact that you recognized you had a problem and went out to get help will no doubt give them confidence you aren't going to turn to more self destructive ways to deal with it.

I would go with your instincts. The last thing you want is to have your past haunt you in the future because of something you didn't deal with. I would be upfront with your BI about it before they root through the records and tell it how it is. You are having issues with your current job, and are going to talk to the shrink to try and get a grip with how to effectively manage the stress it's causing. Doesn't sound to me like anything to be worried about. If they want to DQ you for that, they are kidding themselves. It's better to have people willing to reach out for help than become a statistic in this profession for suicide or alcoholism.

I understand you need for answers. Potential mental health issues will always raise an eyebrow during a Backgound Investigation. You're doing considerable "What if"? Very understandable.I can only speak for myself,but there's no way I can determine the state of your health.Any visit to a mental health provider will be judged on it's facts, circumstances, and diagnosis.Any diagnosis that would adversely effect your ability to be a Peace Officer would DQ you. Okay, that's pretty general, but it's about the best I can do. What I see presently for you, is the need to address the problem of your health. I would suggest that for your own well being, that you do this. Not passing judgement on you, just sharing some thoughts. Hope things work out for you.

What's Going On

There are currently 8006 users online. 264 members and 7742 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad