Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three-and-a-half-hour oral interview????

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three-and-a-half-hour oral interview????

After over 30.5 years as a police officer/sergeant, for a big-city on the west coast, I find myself with three applications submitted, two written tests completed, and a pre-oral interview (with two FTO's) in the bag. I now live on the Front Range of Colorado.

I got a call after my written/pre-oral inviting me for the 3.5 hours oral.

The human resources guy described it as a problem-solving scenario, followed by a de-brief, then a written report on the simulated event, with finally an oral interview.

Anyone been through this, and/or have any insight on the process?
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

No doubt you've handled enough UOs and after action reports that this should be a breeze. Considering that you come from a part of the country and an agency that tends to be more meticulous in its attention to detail, you will probably wow them with your thoroughness.

Have fun with it.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      Considering that you come from a part of the country and an agency that tends to be more meticulous in its attention to detail, you will probably wow them with your thoroughness.
      Hmmmmm, have you ever heard of that expression, smoke and mirrors?

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Keith, I definitely agree with L-1 on this one. Shouldn't be a problem for you. You've had 30+ years to prepare . Best of luck.

Comment

Are you applying for a chief's position? I hate to think that the department puts all its applicants through that. Imagine what a 23 year old with no police experience would say.
          -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

Oooops, my bad.

I walked in and did a 15 minute role-play, then wrote a report about what had taken place.

Then I cooled my heels for two hours until it was my time for my oral. That started with a five minute presentation on a community problem-solving scenario, then the 40 minute oral, with six(?) people asking questions.

So it was a long session, with a two hour break in-between.

Comment

Conditional offer received

We were out this evening, having just left St. Nick's (the Christmas store) and on our way to Mexican food when the cell phone rang. The City of Parker, Colorado has given me a conditional offer of employment as a police officer. I begin backgrounds on Monday or Tuesday. I guess out of 20 applicants, I'm to fill one of the three openings - mid Jan., or early Feb. Wow, a wave of rookie jitters is hitting me.

I gotta say, the City of Parker has been really nice about their process. Both days of written and oral testing, I wolfed down McDonald's on the way only to find fresh fruit, bottled water, donuts, and pastries laid out for us while we waited our turns. These folks seem very nice. It's a big change from where I come from.

My heart just ached for some of my fellow test-takers (most all, half my age, or less). I hope I get a chance to meet with some of them again and share what I saw them doing/saying that might have not have been helpful to them.

Comment

Congrats, Kieth!
                1*

Comment

Congratulations!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7915 users online. 419 members and 7496 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X