300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easier Police Entry

Hi all. Just wondering how different it is here in New Zealand than the rest of the world with getting into the Police. Here there is one police department which is run directly by the government and staff are paid by the government. Population here is 4.2million and we have 10,500 police officers.

There is a pretty high demand for recruiting new officers, so each applicant is not really competing against each other. Meaning you just need to get through the application process and pass the tests. If you can then it seems your guaranteed to get into the academy.

So the quality of officers should still be as good as other countries, you can have no criminal record, must be at a great medical standard, have the right personality, pass academic and physical tests etc.

How does this compare to your country/state/city?

in my county, we are government employees paid directly by the government. the difference is there are usually more applicants than there are open positions. this allows the agency to hire the top applicant out of the applicant pool.

Comment

In Southern California, about one or two applicants out of one hundred get hired. For example: A starting applicant pool of one hundred does the physical agility test and about 70 pass. 70 persons does the preliminary investigative questionairre and about 50 pass. The background investigation continues the process and about 25 pass. The polygraph/voice stress analysis is done and about 15 pass. The Chief's or appointing authority interview is done and about 5 is selected for the academy. The psyc exam is done and about 3 are selected. The final process is the medical and and one or two passes.
      Last edited by sparkydavid; 12-02-2007, 11:26 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Sparky, that's how it is here in MD, too.
        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
        that we are all that stands between
        the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sparkydavid View Post
          In Southern California, about one or two applicants out of one hundred get hired. For example: A starting applicant pool of one hundred does the physical agility test and about 70 pass. 70 persons does the preliminary investigative questionairre and about 50 pass. The background investigation continues the process and about 25 pass. The polygraph/voice stress analysis is done and about 15 pass. The Chief's or appointing authority interview is done and about 5 is selected for the academy. The psyc exam is done and about 3 are selected. The final process is the medical and and one or two passes.
          I bet if you make those remaining one or two pass the written and oral, none will be left.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Just thought i would second this question and and some of my own thoughts.

Right now im planning on applying to the New Zealand police after i finish with my degree, for the reason that they are hiring almost everybody. I figure i can get work experience, and then when ready to move to the U.S. and apply for a job in L.E. hopefully in the midwest. Thankfully I am a U.S. citizen, so this option is available to me. and i hope the experience helps my application

I have 2 friends who are in the police. One of them has been on patrol for 1.5 years and is the most experienced constable after his sergeant.

I believe that the police have finally started meeting their recruitment quotas, after heavy marketing. But i expect they will be short on officers in about a year, after all these new constables have quit, after realizing they made a hasty decision and were attracted to the job for the wrong reasons (Better Work Stories).

Just some aspects i have noticed between U.S. and NZ L.E.. In NZ the job is a lot safer due to a lack of guns and drugs, however - police in new zealand get much less respect.

Comment

"I bet if you make those remaining one or two pass the written and oral, none will be left."

LOL forgot about the oral and written. Yea sometimes I have seen none make it or a batch of six candidates who make it to the Chief are just not selected. Kinda frustrating I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by nibroc View Post
                Just thought i would second this question and and some of my own thoughts.

Right now im planning on applying to the New Zealand police after i finish with my degree, for the reason that they are hiring almost everybody. I figure i can get work experience, and then when ready to move to the U.S. and apply for a job in L.E. hopefully in the midwest. Thankfully I am a U.S. citizen, so this option is available to me. and i hope the experience helps my application

I have 2 friends who are in the police. One of them has been on patrol for 1.5 years and is the most experienced constable after his sergeant.

I believe that the police have finally started meeting their recruitment quotas, after heavy marketing. But i expect they will be short on officers in about a year, after all these new constables have quit, after realizing they made a hasty decision and were attracted to the job for the wrong reasons (Better Work Stories).

Just some aspects i have noticed between U.S. and NZ L.E.. In NZ the job is a lot safer due to a lack of guns and drugs, however - police in new zealand get much less respect.
                It's strange that NZ Police get such bad rep. There has been a few things lately that the media puts all over the place about corruption etc. But the fact is NZ Police are amongst the least of police corruption in the world.

They aren't exactly hiring almost everybody. They hire everybody who is smart enough, fit enough and has the right personality for the job. The thing that makes it easier is that there is no "competition" for the position.

I guess there would be a good handful of people who have joined for the wrong reasons or made a quick decision because of all the marketing. Theres a lot of sacrifices that people may not have come to terms with when applying. But its also a very rewarding career.

But it definitely is a much safer place to be a police officer than other parts of the world.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5655 users online. 225 members and 5430 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X