Concealed Carry Question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concealed Carry Question.

I am going through the application process with the Indiana State Police. Is there any reason that I should not get a Concealed Carry Permit. Could this potentially hurt my chances? I live in Indianapolis and would like to have that extra bit of protection. Any thoughts? Thanks!

In my academy class there are a handful of guys with CCWs, including myself. It's sort of touchy because the academy staff is very strict about handling firearms when off the clock. I was surprised at how many recruits have very limited firearms experience.

I don't have any of my guns on me or even in my vehicle on class days. It doesn't really bother me since I have armed RTO's running around me, so ain't nothing gonna happen. However, I still carry on non-class days. The RTO's gave the CCW guys permission to carry outside of class, and truthfully I'm so beat-up after class that I need the gun because I'm too beat-up to escape or defend myself if anything goes down, LOL.
    "Too many times, too many times payin' the price, just for the thrill" - Tesla

Comment

I personally don't see a CCW Permit hindering you in your ISP application. Of course, the difinitive answer would have to come from them.

Comment

Does anyone think that if one were to get a permit to carry or, buy a handgun that it may reflect negatively in anyway with your BI? I have an interest in getting a 9mm or 40 cal but don't want to seem too eager to have a gun in my possession.

Comment

I don't think that it would be much of an issue. I have never been asked a question regarding the lawful carrying of a firearm, only if you have ever ILLEGALLY carried a weapon.

That being said, there are some places that will probably question it. My personal thoughts: If you feel the need to go through the process for a CCW and feel that it is that needed, you wouldn't be second guessing yourself about doing it for what a police department would say.

Comment

Originally posted by audio View Post
            Does anyone think that if one were to get a permit to carry or, buy a handgun that it may reflect negatively in anyway with your BI? I have an interest in getting a 9mm or 40 cal but don't want to seem too eager to have a gun in my possession.
            I should qualify my prior statement by saying that I'm a good ol' Arizona boy, so nobody thinks twice if you have a dozen guns and bowses in the house. When I'm going out in the desert, it's common for me to toss a .308 rifle in the truck (In addition to having a concealed pistol). It's a different lifestyle here, and there's enough coyotes and drug runners in the dez with rifles that I don't ever want to be facing 'em with just a defensive handgun. Though I've never come face-2-face, I have stumbled across a few "drop sites" and even one murdered body.

In a more liberal state like MD, if citizen owned guns are rare then maybe you have a point. Perhaps a background investigator would have thoughts about you being "eager" to have a gun? In my case, I was never asked by my BI about gun ownership.

I do have one strong request, assuming that you are not currently a "gun owner". IF you decide to get a handgun, then please get some sort of instruction pertaining to it's safe usage and the laws regarding self defense. FYI, a CCW course would minimally serve to inform you of these things. Furthermore, I'd suggest starting out with a rifle first... and then graduating to a handgun. Compared to a handgun, rifles are generally much easier to shoot accurately, typically more powerful, and novice shooters just tend not to wave 'em around quite as carelessly as a handguns. It's incredibly rude (not to mention EXTREMELY dangerous) to sweep your muzzle across strangers at the shooting range... 99% of the time it's a novice shooter with a brand new handgun.
            "Too many times, too many times payin' the price, just for the thrill" - Tesla

Comment

Originally posted by audio View Post
              A CCW can be a red flag. Given the right background it is no problem, but when coupled with other factors it could hurt you. Examples of what kind of questions you might get from having a CCW: Why do you carry? Have you ever been involved in a use of force situation involving that firearm? DO you drive a 98 Crown Vic purchased at a police auction? See where I'm going with this?
              "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

OT:

Hey Audio ,surprised you picked BaCoPD. I can tell you HdG needs more officers! I am orig. from Baldwin, MD (BaCo)
                The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                that we are all that stands between
                the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyCutter View Post
                  do have one strong request, assuming that you are not currently a "gun owner". IF you decide to get a handgun, then please get some sort of instruction pertaining to it's safe usage and the laws regarding self defense. FYI, a CCW course would minimally serve to inform you of these things. Furthermore, I'd suggest starting out with a rifle first... and then graduating to a handgun. Compared to a handgun, rifles are generally much easier to shoot accurately, typically more powerful, and novice shooters just tend not to wave 'em around quite as carelessly as a handguns. It's incredibly rude (not to mention EXTREMELY dangerous) to sweep your muzzle across strangers at the shooting range... 99% of the time it's a novice shooter with a brand new handgun.

This is a very true statment. Although I am pretty experienced with a variety of firearms hand guns included. I grew up in rural area and have been shooting guns my whole life. It wasn't until I moved to indianapolis that I considered carrying.

Comment

Originally posted by miked6 View Post
                    A CCW can be a red flag. Given the right background it is no problem, but when coupled with other factors it could hurt you. Examples of what kind of questions you might get from having a CCW: Why do you carry? Have you ever been involved in a use of force situation involving that firearm? DO you drive a 98 Crown Vic purchased at a police auction? See where I'm going with this?
                    These were some of the areas I was thinking of. I guess it's kind of a mind set around here that if you want to own a gun, you're probably up to no good.

Comment

Exactly. My academy you werent allowed to shoot any firearms until qualifiying at the range, so you didnt develop or improve bad habits
                      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                      that we are all that stands between
                      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7018 users online. 271 members and 6747 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                      X