Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After the oral board interview...

Hey everyone!

I wanted to ask you a question. I heard that its really good to write a thank you card to H.R. of the police department that you had an oral board & ride a-long with. Actually, my friend said that it was a deciding point between her friend and another candidate when they were deadlocked, because her friend took the time to express his/her thanks. Any ideas on what would be a good thing to mention in the card?

Thanks for your help!

~Kris
    "Concentrate on what cannot lie.....the evidence."

I wouldn't do it.

As an applicant, you are just another cog in the machine. How quickly you get hired is going to depend on your score in the testing process. In turn, this will be based in the number of correct answers you gave on the written and the oral exams. In my agency, giving preference to people who write thank you notes is considered improper and discriminatory because it adds a new dimension to the hiring and scoring process that all applicants have not been made aware of.

If anyone does remember you because of your thank you note, it will probably be to regard you as someone who tried to circumvent the system and score some extra points as a brown nose. No one likes a brown nose, especially in law enforcement.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Hmmm good point. I'll keep that in consideration.

I will at least write a thank you note to the gal who squeezed me in for a ride-a-long that same day so I could look even more of an appealing candidate for the oral board because everyone had been calling to get one and she was completely booked. Also, that I learned a lot from the Officer I wrote out with.
      "Concentrate on what cannot lie.....the evidence."

Comment

Good to see you're going after this with a great mindset. I agree with the above poster about the thank you card to the oral board. But for the ride-along I dont see a problem.

Comment

I do see how something like this could be viewed as an annoyance to the HR department, as most police departments have their own hiring procedures based on scoring and so forth, as the person mentioned above.

I am not sure about a 'thank you-card,' but in some professional careers a typed letter after an interview is welcomed. So in your decision I would strongly consider a letter rather than a card, if you decide to go that route.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3918 users online. 221 members and 3697 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X