NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I disqualifying myself even if i disclose this?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I disqualifying myself even if i disclose this?

Hi everyone,
    I first applied to become a police officer back in 2018. When I applied, my Uncle who was a member of that agency told me to withhold the fact that I had smoked weed a couple times in high school. I ended up admitting this to the psychologist during my oral psych.

My application was then put on hold because they were requesting I get my therapist to release notes from the 11 sessions that I saw her. I was 14 at the time and my cousin had just died in a car accident. My therapist was no longer at the practice and the office she worked at did not want to release the notes because it violates HIPPA.

So I didn’t hear from the police agency until last year and they still wanted the notes from my therapist. I tried to contact her several times but never got anything from her. The agency also told me if I still wanted to be considered I would have to do the process again. When it came time for the psych interview I told the psychologist what happened and I was disqualified.

I am now applying to another agency farther away from where I live. It’s been a few years since I had originally withheld information on an application, I know I have to be honest and disclose this but will they disqualify me for it?​
    Last edited by zacdoug97; 01-25-2023, 03:32 PM.

Originally posted by zacdoug97 View Post

Hi everyone,I first applied to become a police officer back in 2018. When I applied my Uncle who was a member of that agency told me to withhold the fact that I had smoked weed a couple times in high school. I ended up admitting to the psychologist during my psych of this. Then things were put on hold because they were requesting I release note from a therapist that i saw when i was 14 and my therapist didn’t want to. So i didn’t hear from them until last year and they invited me to redo the process again. When it came time for the psych interview I told the psychologist what happened and I was disqualified. I am now applying to another agency farther away from where i love, and I am wondering if I tell them about my withholding of info in my first application, will I be disqualified? This happened back in 2018 so it’s been a few years since. I know i have to be honest and disclose this but will they disqualify me for it?​
    Saved.

Comment

Hi everyone,I first applied to become a police officer back in 2018. When I applied my Uncle who was a member of that agency told me to withhold the fact that I had smoked weed a couple times in high school. I ended up admitting to the psychologist during my psych of this. Then things were put on hold because they were requesting I release note from a therapist that i saw when i was 14 and my therapist didn’t want to. So i didn’t hear from them until last year and they invited me to redo the process again. When it came time for the psych interview I told the psychologist what happened and I was disqualified. I am now applying to another agency farther away from where i love, and I am wondering if I tell them about my withholding of info in my first application, will I be disqualified? This happened back in 2018 so it’s been a few years since. I know i have to be honest and disclose this but will they disqualify me for it?​
      Paragraphs, dude...paragraphs...

...and capitalization...

...and spelling...

...and punctuation...

If you attended public schools, I'd like to file theft charges for my tax dollars that paid for your education.

Comment

• NolaT
        NolaT commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s Painful to read,

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

Paragraphs, dude...paragraphs...

...and capitalization...

...and spelling...

...and punctuation...

If you attended public schools, I'd like to file theft charges for my tax dollars that paid for your education.
      Sorry about that. Lol. This is just something that I have been thinking about and didn’t think to reread it because I was anxious for an answer.

Comment

• Aidokea
        Aidokea commented
        Editing a comment
        Then edit your post and fix it. You are asking a bunch of current and honorably retired law enforcement professionals to take time out of our lives to help you. At least put in the effort to communicate your request in an intelligible manner.

Sorry again. I have fixed it now.

Comment

• Aidokea
        Aidokea commented
        Editing a comment
        I appreciate the effort. You still need to proof read it again and fix some stuff, but it's much better than it was.

Did you fill out something at some point during the application process saying that you never smoked weed, and then later you told the shrink you did smoke weed?

Comment

Did you fill out something at some point during the application process saying that you never smoked weed, and then later you told the shrink you did smoke weed?
        Yes that’s exactly what happened.. really stupid on my part but I trusted my Uncle’s advice.

Comment

Yes that’s exactly what happened.. really stupid on my part but I trusted my Uncle’s advice.
          Your uncle may have been testing your strength of character. And you lied.

Lying is the kiss of death.

When applicants don't get selected, they can apply again.

When applicants are DISQUALIFIED, that means they can't be cops. You can fill out all the applications you want, but once they find out you previously lied during the process of applying for a law enforcement position, you'll be dropped from the process.

Comment

Can’t understand why your police officer uncle would advise you to omit smoking weed a couple times when that isn’t a big deal; especially when there is a national police officer shortage crisis. And being you omitted this information in your packet, why would you admit this to the psychologist during the psych? You’re stuck with what you put in your background packet.

Whichever department you apply to and process with will
            likely ask where else you processed to get the background packet you filled out with them and they will inquire the disqualification. Omitting information is not a good way to get disqualified, but some time has passed by. What makes you a quality candidate now? What have you been doing since?

Comment

Your uncle may have been testing your strength of character. And you lied.

Lying is the kiss of death.

When applicants don't get selected, they can apply again.

When applicants are DISQUALIFIED, that means they can't be cops. You can fill out all the applications you want, but once they find out you previously lied during the process of applying for a law enforcement position, you'll be dropped from the process.
              I don’t know if this makes a difference but the agency I lied to was NYPD and I was psychologically disqualified. I was told that even if you get psychologically disqualified from NYPD you can still get a job elsewhere. That being said though I did lie, but that’s final? Even if years have passed I have no chance?

Comment

• Aidokea
                Aidokea commented
                Editing a comment
                Disqualification is permanent.

Originally posted by Lawdog138 View Post
              Can’t understand why your police officer uncle would advise you to omit smoking weed a couple times when that isn’t a big deal; especially when there is a national police officer shortage crisis. And being you omitted this information in your packet, why would you admit this to the psychologist during the psych? You’re stuck with what you put in your background packet.

Whichever department you apply to and process with will
              likely ask where else you processed to get the background packet you filled out with them and they will inquire the disqualification. Omitting information is not a good way to get disqualified, but some time has passed by. What makes you a quality candidate now? What have you been doing since?
              I have kept my background pretty clean since then aside from getting into a small car accident and getting a fix it ticket for a busted headlight. Also on other Law Enforcement applications I have disclosed everything they ask for, and failed for various reasons like not passing the physical and failing a polygraph examinations because I was “moving too much” during the exam. But I have been getting in shape and running every day.

I told my psychologist during the interview because I was nervous and it just occurred to me maybe I should’ve just been honest and took the leap, probably should’ve just kept my mouth shut.
              Last edited by zacdoug97; 01-25-2023, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• Aidokea
                Aidokea commented
                Editing a comment
                No. You didn't get disqualified for not lying enough. The problem was your initial lie.

L-1 posted this on another thread, but I think he meant to post it here:

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
              There is something in American law called the Brady Decision. In short, it say the prosecutor and the police must voluntarily disclose to accused suspects, all evidence they can use to defend themselves against a criminal charge. If an officer has a history of being untruthful, that must be disclosed so it can be used to discredit his testimony on the stand. Such officers are often referred to as "Brady Officers" because they have no credibility as witnesses and their testimony is worthless on the stand. Most prosecutors will not accept cases involving Brady Officers. This is why most officers caught lying about official matters are routinely fired.

Were you to be hired under these circumstances, you would immediately become a Brady Officer and your history of dishonesty would have to be disclosed to defense counsel on every case you were called to testify in. Needless to say, you have a better chance of hitting the lottery than of becoming a police officer.

Time to consider another career path. Perhaps politics?

Comment

I have kept my background pretty clean since then aside from getting into a small car accident and getting a fix it ticket for a busted headlight. Also on other Law Enforcement applications I have disclosed everything they ask for, and failed for various reasons like not passing the physical and failing a polygraph examinations because I was “moving too much” during the exam. But I have been getting in shape and running every day.

I told my psychologist during the interview because I was nervous and it just occurred to me maybe I should’ve just been honest and took the leap, probably should’ve just kept my mouth shut.
                So you’re out of shape, can’t sit still, can’t pass a psychological, and got busted omitting info. I don’t know kid, the cop thing likely isn’t for you. Learn a trade. Probably pays better anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawdog138 View Post

So you’re out of shape, can’t sit still, can’t pass a psychological, and got busted omitting info. I don’t know kid, the cop thing likely isn’t for you. Learn a trade. Probably pays better anyway.
                  You’re probably right, I have a degree in Criminal Justice maybe I’ll go back to school and get into Cyber Security.

Comment

Hi everyone,
                    I first applied to become a police officer back in 2018. When I applied, my Uncle who was a member of that agency told me to withhold the fact that I had smoked weed a couple times in high school. I ended up admitting this to the psychologist during my oral psych.

My application was then put on hold because they were requesting I get my therapist to release notes from the 11 sessions that I saw her. I was 14 at the time and my cousin had just died in a car accident. My therapist was no longer at the practice and the office she worked at did not want to release the notes because it violates HIPPA.

So I didn’t hear from the police agency until last year and they still wanted the notes from my therapist. I tried to contact her several times but never got anything from her. The agency also told me if I still wanted to be considered I would have to do the process again. When it came time for the psych interview I told the psychologist what happened and I was disqualified.

I am now applying to another agency farther away from where I live. It’s been a few years since I had originally withheld information on an application, I know I have to be honest and disclose this but will they disqualify me for it?​
                    Withholding information from the police while trying to become one of them is the single most disqualifying thing that you can do. When you say 'I ended up admitting this to the psychologist' I really hope you mean you went in there and told him outright and he didn't have to get you to admit you initially lied. Never ever withhold anything from them especially not now when the last thing they want to do is disqualify you unless they absolutely have to.

If you were disqualified by one, the next agency can see that too and usually can find out why depending on the circumstances. There's a good chance that its going to a long list of hiring processes where you get disqualified. If I were in your shoes, I would complete two or three more hiring processes to their full extent and if I was disqualified from those then I would hang it up, and at least wait another 5 years or so. But even then that might not be enough.

Honestly this career field is overrated. I know how you feel when you read that, because I've felt belittled after reading it too. But this job is very much not what you probably think it is.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3409 users online. 197 members and 3212 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X