300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring Chances?

Hello everyone, time for yet another person asking about their chances so I will cut to the chase. I was recently disqualified from LAPD due to reasons involving maturity and discipline and interpersonal skills. This doesn’t come as a shock to me, I wanted to see how far I could get (which was only the PHS review). First I’ll list my relevant experience. I am a recently honorably discharged USAF security forces airman, I was in for 4 years. Currently going back to school this spring semester and I think i’m going to give it another 4 years before I apply again.

Now for my list of any negatives that could preclude me from law enforcement.

-August 2015 at 17 years old I was investigated for sexually assaulting my girlfriend at the time which was completely false and unfounded. I was never arrested and charges were never filed.
    - I tried marijuana 8-10 times during my high school senior year and early college freshman year, I also underage drank approximately 6-8 times.
    -I was given a fix it ticket for my headlight in 2017 and a speeding ticket in early 2018.
    - September 2018 I was deemed 50% at fault for hitting a pedestrian who came out of nowhere not using a crosswalk.
    -The one that might preclude me the most is in 2020 I was arrested by base police (my coworkers essentially) for negligently carrying my firearm loaded in my car. It is legal off base but not on base and I forgot to unload my firearm. My commander ultimately took no NJP action against me and no UCMJ articles were brought against me.
    - Early 2022 I was issued a speeding ticket for 11 over and invalid registration, both were dismissed. And in June an insurance claim was brought against me for supposedly hitting a woman’s parked car and taking a chip of paint off her car about half the size of a pinky nail. My insurance determined me at fault but i’m still currently fighting it. I know I obviously stand no chance right now, but I am hoping waiting about 4 more years with a spotless record and a solid work history will help.

I know individually these all don’t seem like massive issues, however the totality of the circumstances leaves me very concerned about my chances, I joined the military to prepare myself for a law enforcement career and I am hoping this is still possible. Any and all advice and feedback would be appreciated, thank you.

Originally posted by jaya173 View Post
    Hello everyone, time for yet another person asking about their chances so I will cut to the chase. I was recently disqualified from LAPD due to reasons involving maturity and discipline and interpersonal skills. This doesn’t come as a shock to me, I wanted to see how far I could get (which was only the PHS review). First I’ll list my relevant experience. I am a recently honorably discharged USAF security forces airman, I was in for 4 years. Currently going back to school this spring semester and I think i’m going to give it another 4 years before I apply again.

-August 2015 at 17 years old I was investigated for sexually assaulting my girlfriend at the time which was completely false and unfounded. I was never arrested and charges were never filed.
    - I tried marijuana 8-10 times during my high school senior year and early college freshman year, I also underage drank approximately 6-8 times.
    -I was given a fix it ticket for my headlight in 2017 and a speeding ticket in early 2018.
    - September 2018 I was deemed 50% at fault for hitting a pedestrian who came out of nowhere not using a crosswalk.
    -The one that might preclude me the most is in 2020 I was arrested by base police (my coworkers essentially) for negligently carrying my firearm loaded in my car. It is legal off base but not on base and I forgot to unload my firearm. My commander ultimately took no NJP action against me and no UCMJ articles were brought against me.
    - Early 2022 I was issued a speeding ticket for 11 over and invalid registration, both were dismissed. And in June an insurance claim was brought against me for supposedly hitting a woman’s parked car and taking a chip of paint off her car about half the size of a pinky nail. My insurance determined me at fault but i’m still currently fighting it. I know I obviously stand no chance right now, but I am hoping waiting about 4 more years with a spotless record and a solid work history will help.

I know individually these all don’t seem like massive issues, however the totality of the circumstances leaves me very concerned about my chances, I joined the military to prepare myself for a law enforcement career and I am hoping this is still possible. Any and all advice and feedback would be appreciated, thank you.
    Saved.

Comment

• Toplaw100
      Toplaw100 commented
      Editing a comment
      Why do you always do this?

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      Experience.

Edited. After re-reading your original post, I think I was a little too hard on you.

I find your claims difficult to believe. I suspect that you are attempting to minimize things.

I suspect that a number of steps of the vetting process will present a challenge to you, including the poly, psych, background, and the oral board interview.
    Last edited by Aidokea; 01-08-2023, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• jaya173
      jaya173 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your response. I fully claimed responsibility on my PHS for all the things I mentioned, I didn’t add anything else besides what happened and let them make their determination. I suppose on here I wanted to add a little more context and now looking back yes it does seem like minimizing. My apologies. I definitely do have issues right now, do you have any advice for moving forward? I have been absolutely truthful.

It sounds like you’ve got a lot going on that individually may be overlooked, but as you’ve already mentioned, they all add up; totality of circumstances.

To find out if you’re hireable, apply to large understaffed Depts, that way you’re not competing against others, but only Your background.
    Last edited by NolaT; 01-08-2023, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• jaya173
      jaya173 commented
      Editing a comment
      Greatly appreciate your advice, if you were hiring me do you think waiting until 2027 with a spotless record and good work/school history would make me hirable?

Honestly, you’ve got a lot of negatives in your background, but Nationwide, most all Depts are shorthanded, you just never know until you apply.

One of the largest, most popular, but very understaffed, Depts in my area just graduated a class of 8, EIGHT, new officers, that’s an insanely small number, making the per officer training cost very high! When I graduated in ‘88, I was pretty young, we started with a class of 80, and graduated 40!

As far as pushing through recruits for minor past transgressions, now is a pretty good time to be carrying any baggage; small transgressions only. A BA / BS will not make up for any major background baggage.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Comment

Rereading, this may be the “nail in the coffin” for you.

August 2015 at 17 years old I was investigated for sexually assaulting my girlfriend at the time which was completely false and unfounded. I was never arrested and charges were never filed.

This sounds pretty bad, domestic violence, and OR sexual assault are both charges that are deal breakers. What’s the story with this investigation,…??

Comment

• jaya173
        jaya173 commented
        Editing a comment
        i’ve never seen the police report but this is what i know, she made that claim to her therapist, her therapist told her parents, and her parents called the police. I was only investigated for the crime I was never arrested or charged with anything. I know for a fact I never did anything with her that could have been non consensual.

• NolaT
        NolaT commented
        Editing a comment
        Get a copy of the report, certainly the BI will,…..

Just remember this: CA no longer has agencies you can hide at or give absolution. POST can decertify you at the drop of a hat.

Comment

Originally posted by NolaT View Post
        Rereading, this may be the “nail in the coffin” for you.

August 2015 at 17 years old I was investigated for sexually assaulting my girlfriend at the time which was completely false and unfounded. I was never arrested and charges were never filed.

This sounds pretty bad, domestic violence, and OR sexual assault are both charges that are deal breakers. What’s the story with this investigation,…??
        Agreed. This is a potential hard DQ for any agency, even one desperate for applicants. OP may be telling the truth and it was a totally unfounded claim...or we may be getting just part of the story. The details of the complaint and subsequent investigation will make all the difference.
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• jaya173
          jaya173 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks very much for the help. I’ll head into the police station today and request a copy.

• Bing_Oh
          Bing_Oh commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't assume that you'll get one. It's a sexual assault case involving a juvenile victim...depending on your state's laws, it may not be a public record.

• jaya173
          jaya173 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes apparently since they are juvenile records I don’t have access to them.. I understand the privacy of juveniles but this is mildly frustrating since the report is about me. I have since spoken to my girlfriend at the time on a couple occasions, we’ve grown up since then and i’ve forgiven her. this wasn’t recent but she did tell me about what happened and she told me the detective who spoke to her treated her like she didn’t believe her. I’m not sure if that means anything.

You were PMO and you were arrested on base for negligently carrying your firearm loaded in your car. They couldn’t slap you on the wrist, called you a dummy and move on?

Comment

• jaya173
          jaya173 commented
          Editing a comment
          Well they technically did, even the second patrol that pulled up to the stop was like why did you arrest him? he was 100 yards from leaving the gate. It is what it is though. The slap on the wrist was my commander throwing it out and saying hey man just don’t do it again. I don’t believe it ever even made it into my personnel file, but my fingerprints did get submitted to the fbi in that incident so there’s a record of it forever unfortunately.

• jaya173
          jaya173 commented
          Editing a comment
          Some guys are just blue falcons, but at the end of the day it was my screw up and now it’s my cross to bear. Hoping that I can convince maybe LASD to take me in 4 or 5 years with a spotless record. That’ll put 7 years behind the gun arrest and 12 years behind my SA allegation.

Are you willing to move to another part of the country? I agree w/ NolaT on applying to understaffed agencies.

Comment

• jaya173
          jaya173 commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve given some thought to AZ, but i’m going to try my hand at LAPD again and LASD along with SDSD in about 4 years. Really hoping time heals this wound.

• NolaT
          NolaT commented
          Editing a comment
          I’d imagine that LAPD and the SO are both understaffed.

Keep in mind that even though they may be understaffed, they have hiring guidelines, but at least you know if you’re hireable,……

Originally posted by jaya173 View Post

I went through replies and read this a couple times to make sure I got everything. If I fell short, I apologize in advance. Why didn't this come off as a shock to you? Was your goal not to be mature, professional and treat everyone with dignity and respect?

So if charges were never filed that tells me that there was not probable cause or discretion was utilized (less likely). If it was a big deal or high profile, the ADA could've asked for a grand jury and went that route but they didn't. So I don't imagine that would be an issue with your hiring process but I could certainly be wrong. I'm fairly ignorant to anything but my own state's laws and we've always been pretty black and white.

Obey the law. I get that 11 over is a bit crap. I know I've reduced a bunch of folks to that when they were going much faster and if that's what happened, be honest about that and own it. 'Yea I was speeding, I messed up.' Everybody makes mistakes here and there and when you do, own it. If you can't do that you don't need to be a cop. Honesty is key here.

I don't think the base arrest will be a big deal. Especially if they didn't pursue any charges/UCMJ stuff with it, but again I don't know. I hate to say it but your best bet would be to be mature, respectful and personable and try again. If I was your position, my next department I would go in there in a nice suit that I rented and blow them away with my professionalism and maturity to make them scratch their heads when they found out what I was disqualified for at the last department. When in doubt, just keep your mouth closed unless its absolutely necessary for you to speak.

Comment

• Captain Adams
          Captain Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh! Got it. That's why you said you understood- I completely understand now. Time unfortunately may be the best medicine. That and exploring other potential options. There are a multitude of departments out there that look for a pulse, no felonies, no domestic violence convictions and a valid driver's license. At least if you do something that may not be your end goal for a little while, it will get you some experience and get you working towards the end goal of your dream department.

I have no suggestions for your area. But I'd put out as many as I could. Unfortunately getting denied is going to happen, but don't let it discourage you from applying.

• jaya173
          jaya173 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks a lot! I’ve wanted this for years, so waiting another 4 really doesn’t bother me if that’s what it’s going to take. I’ve heard LA sheriffs are pretty desperate so i’ll see what can be done there in the future. All I needed to know was that I still stand a good chance.

• NolaT
          NolaT commented
          Editing a comment
          Apply now, you’ll find out soon enough,……..

• jaya173
          jaya173 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nola are you sure it isn’t a complete waste of time as of right now? I think a speeding ticket and an accident in dispute less than a year ago alone would make any agency take a pass, let alone stacking everything else from my past on top.

You have a lot of weird yellow flags which added all up may be a red flag for some departments. I don't think you're unhireable, but there just needs to be more time put in between what happened and getting a job offer.

You also have 3 moving violations and 2 collisions in the past five years. Either you're a bad driver or very unlucky.
        ​​
        ​​​​
        ​​

Comment

• NolaT
          NolaT commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed, either way the Dept is looking hard at that.

LAPD is for sure understaffed, but the numbers haven't changed from what I'm told.

Out of 100 that apply, only 5 will get hired and of those 5, only 4 will make it through the academy.

Comment

Agreed, understaffed won’t cover a badly blemished background, but it will allow you to only compete against YOURSELF, vs others with Spotless backgrounds.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4112 users online. 219 members and 3893 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X