300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice about applying

Hey guys I just want to get some advice/ opinions on whether or not I'd be suitable or even able to be hired by any department.
    I'm turning 31 in January, haven't graduated high-school, but I did achieve my GED last year because when I quit school I was working construction and being dumb didn't really think about education and so I got my CDL at 21 and have been driving trucks since then, I've always wanted to be a police officer. I've been diagnosed with anxitey about 4 years ago and was on medication but am currently not taking anything due to it helping me out alot. I've had quite a few different jobs up until the last 5 years, which I've been at my current job for. I have terrible credit around the 500 mark, never been to jail or in trouble just a few speeding tickets. Do you guys think id even have a chance?
    Last edited by Briansl92; 12-02-2022, 05:05 PM.

Originally posted by Briansl92 View Post
    Hey guys I just want to get some advice/ opinions on whether or not I'd be suitable or even able to be hired by any department.
    I'm turning 31 in January, haven't graduated high-school, but I did achieve my GED last year because when I quit school I was working construction and being dumb didn't really think about education and so I got my CDL at 21 and have been driving trucks since then, I've always wanted to be a police officer. I've been diagnosed with anxitey about 4 years ago and was on medication but am currently not taking anything due to it helping me out alot. I've had quite a few different jobs up until the last 5 years, which I've been at my current job for. I have terrible credit around the 500 mark, never been to jail or in trouble just a few speeding tickets. Do you guys think id even have a chance?
    You should use paragraphs- it makes it easier for us to read.

The GED is no problem.

Why were you on anxiety meds- what's the rest of the story? What kind of meds? Has your doctor told you to stop taking them, or did you decide to stop taking them on your own?

Your credit sounds like the biggest challenge. Fix that, before you start applying.

Comment

Originally posted by Briansl92 View Post
      GED shouldn't be an issue, unless the department you're applying to specifically says you need to have a diploma. Your anxiety issues will definitely be addressed in medical and psychological evaluations, only you know if you will pass. This is a stressful/anxious job. You can't pop a xanex while waiting for your cover unit to arrive.

If you've been bouncing around from job to job, they're gonna want to know why on top of you quitting HS. Can't commit to a job? Suck at working? Everyone hates you? Bored at work? If you're credit blows too, it's because you're not financially responsible or you have cash flow/debt issues, be prepared to explain it. A 500 credit score is for someone at age 20, not 30.

You have an uphill battle. Not impossible, but focus on self-improvement. FWIW, a lot of Class A truckers I know make more than my lieutenant.
      Last edited by clof2001; 12-02-2022, 11:18 PM.

Comment

You certainly have made things more difficult for yourself. I pay a lot of attention to job history, and I don't like job hopping without some compelling reasons. Job hopping in which you gain experience, position and pay is one thing; hopping around from one $10 an hour job to the next is something else.

Comment

Sure. Apply, take a few tests, see what happens. What's a deal breaker at one place, might not mean crap at another. If you keep striking out, you'll at least have an idea why. Good Luck.

Comment

Without looking closely, your background sounds like you can’t / won’t hold a steady job and aren’t adult enough to manage money.

On the anxiety issue, were you self medicating or seeing a doctor?

Stay with your current job, no matter how much you hate it, clean up your credit and apply to Large Depts where you’re only competing against yourself and your issues, not more qualified applicants.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3094 users online. 164 members and 2930 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X