Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

Saved.

Your profile says "Pest Control Technician".
    Yeah, it does, that doesn’t mean I’ve ever done it lol I had to put something in the box.

Comment

Originally posted by getthecrit View Post

Yeah, it does, that doesn’t mean I’ve ever done it lol I had to put something in the box.
      Saved.

So you're unemployed...and a liar.

Comment

Saved.

Unemployed? Absolutely not. But I don’t know anybody on this forum, and have no reason to give any more personal information than required. I never lied to anyone, nobody aside from a box on a computer has asked me what my current profession is.

Comment

I take it the mod responsible for locking threads is off tonight.

Comment

Saved.

Ya know what, I apologize. I came to this thread originally seeking information to a question that’s been on my mind. I took it to a new extreme because I didn’t like what someone had to say. So I genuinely and sincerely apologize. If you’ve done this for over 30 years, who am I to tell you that you don’t know what you’re talking about? While I disagree with the statement that I’m not cut out for the job, I respect the opinion from an experienced LEO. I’m sorry for taking it 12 steps higher than necessary.

Comment

Just because you’ve worked in a jail does not mean you understand policies and procedures of all jails. My “story” makes perfect sense. Every inmate is legally allowed to live in general population, based on their charges. Sex offenders and Child molesters are still afforded the opportunity to live in general population at this jail, but they do have to sign a paper stating they understand the risks with the charges they have. The reason they’re allowed to live in general population is because in the sex offender pod, they are not afforded the opportunity to purchase commissary. So if they want to sign a paper saying they feel safe and can defend themselves, just so they can buy some honey buns, it’s no longer on the authorities hands.
              …which still doesn’t explain how you got blamed if all they had was video with no audio.

pod. I told the jail when they investigated me that I did tell the other inmate his charges, because it was my fault. They asked me “did you ask them to beat that inmate?” And I told them “absolutely not.” But to save themself from a lawsuit (this is the majors own words) “well I think it’s cut and dry. You’re fired. The guy is most likely gonna sue, and when they come to ask us about it, I’m going to let them know that we fired you and washed our hands of it.”
              Ok, that makes more sense. You admit you slipped up, but they thought you told the other inmates to lay on a beating.

It still is shaky, since you claim there was no evidence of that…. and most inmates wouldn’t hesitate to throw a jailer or deputy under the bus…. but not completely unbelievable.

Last edited by tanksoldier; 04-07-2022, 09:07 PM.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Good Morning,

I have recently talked to a recruiter and begun the process of becoming a state trooper. My only issue lies with I was terminated from a regional jail recently (not DoC) because an inmate got maliciously assaulted. He was a sex offender, and it slipped up in a conversation I was having with another inmate. I figured nothing of it, cause usually when this happens the other inmates will “put him on the door” and force him to move to the sex offender pod. These inmates did not do that, they beat him. The video footage of me talking to the inmate makes it seem as though I told them to beat the guy up, because there was no audio, and they fired me for it. I don’t care if they think that’s what I did, I know what truly happened. I don’t have a confidentiality issue, I had a secret clearance in the marine corps, not that it matters. I’m more or so looking for an experienced state trooper to tell me what you would do if you came across me as a candidate. My recruiter told me to just disclose everything to the BI when I get to that point.
                Just because you’ve worked in a jail does not mean you understand policies and procedures of all jails. My “story” makes perfect sense. Every inmate is legally allowed to live in general population, based on their charges. Sex offenders and Child molesters are still afforded the opportunity to live in general population at this jail, but they do have to sign a paper stating they understand the risks with the charges they have. The reason they’re allowed to live in general population is because in the sex offender pod, they are not afforded the opportunity to purchase commissary. So if they want to sign a paper saying they feel safe and can defend themselves, just so they can buy some honey buns, it’s no longer on the authorities hands.
                They also know it came from me because after the inmate was done talking to me, I left the pod to make my round in another pod. After I left, he gathered everyone up and went into his cell (on a door break, which happens at the top of every hour in Gen pop) and they beat him. He was new to the pod. I told the jail when they investigated me that I did tell the other inmate his charges, because it was my fault. They asked me “did you ask them to beat that inmate?” And I told them “absolutely not.” But to save themself from a lawsuit (this is the majors own words) “well I think it’s cut and dry. You’re fired. The guy is most likely gonna sue, and when they come to ask us about it, I’m going to let them know that we fired you and washed our hands of it.”

Your higher ups and supervisors encourage you to build rapport with inmates to mitigate the chances of you or other officers assaulted. No use in being a stone cold dick head and end up getting stabbed. But that doesn’t mean be their best friends and be at their every beck and call either. But I can honestly say there were multiple inmates that would put someone out of a pod for disrespecting me and several other specific officers, because we treated them like human beings. Most of them are in there for drug charges, nothing violent in any way. The inmate I was speaking with specifically was also the one that basically controlled the whole pod. Every inmate in there wouldn’t dare question him. So if I ever needed everyone to lock down because of an emergency, or belligerence, he would make sure it happened.

Before you decide to tell me about how irrelevant my comments are to your situation ---- I have over 45 yrs of experience in Law Enforcement and Corrections and have worked as a supervisor in BOTH professions.

I am only going to make a few comments on this thread because I see it is already a train wreck that can't be fixed anyway.

I will start with saying that you admit to disclosing confidential information to inmates about another inmate. That information disclosure resulted in the prisoner being assaulted. PERIOD. That is a firing offense in ANY Jail/Prison//Detention Facility I have ever been around. It also violates the one of the major tenets of Corrections.

Your Marine Corps "security clearance" means nothing in Civilian Law Enforcement. You have already proven that you have a confidentiality problem while engaged in a Law Enforcement related job. Sorry but that is just the way it is now.

It will be a big hurdle to overcome during a LE hiring process

There is a big difference between treating inmates with respect and divulging confidential information. I understand that in jails nationwide there are THOUSANDS of sex offenders living in General Population living units without major problems. That is because information confidentiality is secure. When it is not---well bad things can happen

I’ve come to the conclusion that this whole “ask a cop” thing is a joke lol it should be labeled as “come as a question and be ridiculed and receive unnecessary and irrelevant comments that have absolutely nothing to do with said question” but, that’s probably to long of a title.
                This attitude will come out in the hiring, training, and FTO processes of LE hiring. THIS is what is getting you all the backlash on this forum

100% disagree. That is NOT criticism. That is condescension. I’m a combat veteran, so flat out saying something like “saved your life” and “you’re not cut out for this line of work” is flat out disrespect. Criticism would have been telling me what they would have done differently. Why I was wrong for doing “such and such”. I have thick skin, but I don’t tolerate or back down from disrespect. When you find a cop that DOES, you let me know. (And no, this isn’t the same as dealing with a possible suspect on the street. This is a disagreement between two individuals on the same side.)
                Well you won't' last long in LE with that attitude

HERE is a training aide that is used in many Corrections Departments nationwide..................And YES it is "fiction" but is indicative of how convicts work.

https://forum.officer.com/forum/offi...ng-of-a-duck-1
                Last edited by Iowa #1603; 04-08-2022, 07:33 AM.
                My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Once again…proving WHY things should be saved for the BIs.

Comment

I told the jail when they investigated me that I did tell the other inmate his charges, because it was my fault. They asked me “did you ask them to beat that inmate?” And I told them “absolutely not.” But to save themself from a lawsuit (this is the majors own words) “well I think it’s cut and dry. You’re fired. The guy is most likely gonna sue, and when they come to ask us about it, I’m going to let them know that we fired you and washed our hands of it.
                    I find it hard to believe the highlighted conversation ever took place. No competent supervisor OR investigator would ever state that in the open. EVEN if that is what the reason was.

As far as the investigator telling you that the inmate dropped a dime on you telling them to assault the sex offender. Yea, so what. Common investigative tactic (taught in schools AND upheld by the US Supreme Court) is to lie to the suspect trying to get more information from them than what the investigator already knows. They either get more information or they don't ......no harm no foul.

I did a lot of IA investigations in a maximum security prison. NOTHING you are accused of is unusual. The outcome of your situation giving YOU the best light and veracity in your story........is common. Get rid of the problem rather than have more.

Comment

They do it when they can receive things in return such as a shower after lockdown, staying out later to finish watching a football game, an extra roll of toilet paper when we have it. It’s honestly nothing deeper. I’ve worked DoC before with no issues, but it was an entirely different ball game. Much more strict, very different procedures.
                      So you’re a duck. Got it.
                      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• Aidokea
                        Aidokea commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bingo.....

The inmate I was speaking with specifically was also the one that basically controlled the whole pod. So if I ever needed everyone to lock down because of an emergency, or belligerence, he would make sure it happened.
                      Whiskey

Tango

Foxtrot

Comment

Ya know what, I quack. I came to this thread originally quacking information to a question that’s been on my quack. I took it to a new quack because I didn’t like what someone had to say. So I genuinely and sincerely quack. If you’ve done this for over 30 years, who am I to quack? While I disagree with the statement that I’m quack, I quack the opinion from an experienced LEO. I’m sorry for taking it 12 steps higher than quack.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianT View Post
                          I take it the mod responsible for locking threads is off tonight.
                          Haven't seen a thread locked in quite a while.
                          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Your higher ups and supervisors encourage you to build rapport with inmates to mitigate the chances of you or other officers assaulted. No use in being a stone cold dick head and end up getting stabbed. But that doesn’t mean be their best friends and be at their every beck and call either. But I can honestly say there were multiple inmates that would put someone out of a pod for disrespecting me and several other specific officers, because we treated them like human beings. Most of them are in there for drug charges, nothing violent in any way. The inmate I was speaking with specifically was also the one that basically controlled the whole pod. Every inmate in there wouldn’t dare question him. So if I ever needed everyone to lock down because of an emergency, or belligerence, he would make sure it happened.
                            I worked in the jails for a few years. If I needed everyone to lock down and they didn't, myself and a group of other deputies went into the unit and WE made sure it happened.

I get the mutual respect thing but I never tried to build a rapport with an inmate. The only conversations I had with crooks was them asking me for more toothpaste or an extra chow and me telling them no. Everyone gets what they legally are entitled to, nothing more nothing less. I never cared who the mod boss was. That's their problem. I don't live in their world. If an inmate wanted to fight me, so be it, let's fight. But I didn't spend any time buttering them up to keep the peace.

The fact that you discussed another inmate's charges and he got checked is 100% on you. Glad you were honest about it at least, but where I worked you'd be fired too. You're lucky he wasn't killed, otherwise you would be selling your house to pay for your legal fees instead of coming on officer.com asking about job prospects.

I'm sorry you feel disrespected about the answers you got on this forum but taking pot shots at the people giving you advice is in poor taste. Thank you for your military service but at this point no one cares. You asked a question and didn't like the response.

To answer your original post, you're going to have a hard time getting hired into a law enforcement job after being fired from a law enforcement job.
                            Last edited by clof2001; 04-10-2022, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clof2001 View Post

I get the mutual respect thing but I never tried to build a rapport with an inmate. The only conversations I had with crooks was them asking me for more toothpaste or an extra chow and me telling them no. Everyone gets what they legally are entitled to, nothing more nothing less. I never cared who the mod boss was. That's their problem. I don't live in their world. If an inmate wanted to fight me, so be it, let's fight. But I didn't spend any time buttering them up to keep the peace.

Back in the 1980-2000's one of the prisons in my system "encouraged" the staff to interact with inmates and build rapport with them. They encouraged the officers to play cards and other board type games also. This facility was our intake & evaluation center as well as having a forensic psychiatric unit. At the time the medical director(read psychiatrist ) was the facility superintendent . It now has a warden as the boss.

We had officers transfer to that facility often as it was only 30 miles away. MOST of them quickly came back to our MAX unit.

Personally I had no problem interacting with the convicts. Due to my length of service over 2 different time periods, there were some lifers I knew for nearly 40 yrs. I often would make rounds in the living unit and shoot the BS with them in the rec area, have a cup of coffee with others in the chow hall and even eat at an inmate table if there were no other staff eating when I was.

Later as a Supervisor, those interactions sometimes paid off when doing an investigation or just listening for intelligence. BUT I wasn't a rookie even when I was working as a line officer
                              Last edited by Iowa #1603; 04-10-2022, 03:48 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3506 users online. 240 members and 3266 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X