300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another polygraph post

I was in the process for a department in the DFW area that seemed to be going well until I took the polygraph last week. I was told I reacted on one question on one of the two tests regarding my involvement with drugs. I tried marijuana once or twice at 14 or 15 and that's been my total involvement with drugs. After the examiner talked about that he said it wasn't a big deal and that I really needed to apply to two departments he recommended. I know that people fail even when telling the truth. My issue is how this polygraph was conducted compared to another I passed recently.

The examiner before this recent one was very thorough in the pre-exam questioning. We went over everything and clarified everything. The first examiner was very professional in how he conducted his business and made sure he made no noise or movements himself during the test. The most recent examiner barely covered anything before the exam other than a little off topic chitchat. He cursed multiple times and talked about how other testers that couldn't sit still or not sniff was BS and in general he wasn't entirely professional. During the test he kept moving in his noisy chair due to his back hurting and multiple time he would grab his travel coffee mug and shake it violently before drinking it. I feel that those distractions could have cause an issue with my exam.

I emailed the recruiter/background investigator about this, but I'm not holding my breath on getting a retest. I was told in my letter that I can apply again in a year and that doesn't make sense to me. If I was disqualified due to a polygraph then why allow me to apply again in a year. Either the polygraph matters or it doesn't.

So, was there a question?
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Sorry, I was typing that while working on smoking three turkeys for a high school booster club deal. Do I have any grounds to request a retest based on how my exam was conducted? Are there general rules on how an examiner should conduct themselves during the exam?

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
        Winter_Patriot commented
        Editing a comment
        If you’re inconclusive, they’ll likely retest you. If it’s considered a fail, then I don’t think you have much for remedies. I would move on and keep applying. I know current officers who have taken multiple polygraphs for different agencies, sometimes failing and sometimes passing.

I received an email back from the background investigator. They are requesting a recording of the examination. They will contact me after they review it.
      Last edited by AirborneJones; 11-16-2021, 05:58 PM.

Comment

My first question is, was this a polygraph or a CVSA? Background noise is much less of a factor in a poly than a CVSA, since the CVSA is based upon a voice analysis and therefore needs a clear voice recording to work property. A poly works based upon multiple biological factors, none of which are sound-related, so the effect of background noises would be limited to startling the candidate during a question that would cause an actual biological reaction.

There will be differences in examiners techniques. Because one examiner does things one way and another does things another way doesn't make it "wrong" per se. While there is baseline training for CVSA and poly operators, variations in technique do exist. Your evaluation of his professionalism and problems with his coffee mug and chair are not grounds for an appeal. Truth verification results are almost always blind reviewed by a second operator, so major discrepancies in results would almost certainly have been noticed.
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

It's entirely possible that his actions were intentional.

The poly interview is a head game and the actual machine is a prop.

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post

There will be differences in examiners techniques. Because one examiner does things one way and another does things another way doesn't make it "wrong" per se. While there is baseline training for CVSA and poly operators, variations in technique do exist. Your evaluation of his professionalism and problems with his coffee mug and chair are not grounds for an appeal. Truth verification results are almost always blind reviewed by a second operator, so major discrepancies in results would almost certainly have been noticed.
            ^^^^^ This
            My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by AirborneJones View Post
              I received an email back from the background investigator. They are requesting a recording of the examination. They will contact me after they review it.
              This action of the BI already puts you way ahead of anything I've ever experienced or hear. I can't imagine why he's getting involved, seems odd.

I'm assuming that this poly was done by an independent source, and not with Dept personnel?

Please keep us updated.

Comment

It was done by an independent security company. I assumed when they said they were requesting a recording that they meant video, but the only camera I saw in there was busted and was hanging by the wires pointing at the floor. Maybe there is audio?

Comment

You may actually be in luck. The BI apparently likes you, and your background, since he's looking into this for you.

I'd assume they're requesting the specific results, not a recording.

I've worked with two large Depts who handle Everything inhouse using Dept personnel; there isn't any recourse or appeal, as they fully trust their process.

Comment

Polys and CVSAs are unscientific garbage about as reliable as a coin flip. You may land on tails a couple times before you get heads. Don't sweat it and just shotgun your application out to every agency you think you could tolerate working for (avoid anywhere with a really bad reputation you don't want to get caught up in). You'll get hired eventually.

Comment

Polygraphs are incredibly unpredictable... there is no significant scientific basis for polygraph validity. The examiners themselves play more of a role in the outcome than the machine itself.

My polygrapher told me I failed, and right now I'm wearing blue. Stand your ground and be assertive. Those two qualities alone may overpower the digitized line graph, and tilt the examiner's favor towards you.

Comment

• AirborneJones
                        AirborneJones commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I’m being as assertive as I can right now without pushing past professionalism. I don’t like a 100 year old machine that is no more accurate than a coin flip deciding my fate. I also refuse to accept that it is being used to question my integrity. It doesn’t make sense that they will let me apply again in a year and that that new polygraph cancels out the first failed one. That just proves that they essentially mean nothing in my opinion.

I’m still waiting on the department to get back to me. The last thing I heard was that they were requesting the recording and would let me know what they find. I’m happy that they are willing to do what they are.

I just got an email from the department. They will be contacting me next week to setup a polygraph with a new examiner. They thanked me for bringing this to their attention and they will be addressing my concerns with the contractor. I know this is pretty rare and I’m extremely appreciative of their willingness to even look into this to begin with.
                      Last edited by AirborneJones; 12-04-2021, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Good luck, very rare outcome indeed.

Comment

Wow.......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2300 users online. 125 members and 2175 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X