300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd's of getting hired into state patrol

I really want to go into the Wisconsin State Patrol but I'm scared to apply and not get accepted as it will show if I look for other departments. I have a bachelor's right now and a clean record. I've heard 1,000 apply and only 20 get in. Is there any way of increasing my chances or will I need a master's to have a chance?

EDIT: I also well exceed the PT test
    Last edited by Pandorox120; 07-15-2021, 07:20 PM.

Originally posted by Pandorox120 View Post
    I really want to go into the Wisconsin State Patrol but I'm scared to apply and not get accepted as it will show if I look for other departments. I have a bachelor's right now and a clean record. I've heard 1,000 apply and only 20 get in. Is there any way of increasing my chances or will I need a master's to have a chance?

Every agency will know of every other agency that you have applied to, but they're not gonna judge you poorly just because you applied somewhere else first.

A lot of people apply for law enforcement positions, but few have what it takes.

You don't need a masters degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
      A lot of people apply for law enforcement positions, but few have what it takes.
      When you say this what do you mean by it? Do people usually lack, mentally, scholarly, physically? It's been my dream to become a state trooper, I just want to be as qualified as possible when I apply. I've also heard it's easier to go into a local department first, then once I get some experience under my belt I should apply for a state position.

Comment

When you say this what do you mean by it? Do people usually lack, mentally, scholarly, physically?
        Some people can pass a written exam. Some of those that pass the written, can pass the physical agility test. A few of those that pass the written and physical agility, can pass the oral board interview. And so on, and so on, and so on, through the drug screening, credit check, polygraph, psych, vision test, blood test, urine test, medical examination, driving history check, and a very thorough background investigation.

And that's just to get to the first day of academy. Not all that start an academy will graduate.

And not all that graduate academy will make it through FTO.

And even after graduating FTO and going solo, new officers are still probationary "at will" employees that can be fired at any time, for any reason or for no reason.

IF you were to make it through all that, you would then have earned the title of "rookie", where for the next 3-5 years, you are expected to instantly vacate any chair that I want, without making a peep. You would be expected to always take the crappiest patrol car, and you would be expected to volunteer to take all the crappiest cases, even if they've already been assigned by dispatch to someone senior to you.

I've also heard it's easier to go into a local department first, then once I get some experience under my belt I should apply for a state position.
        Just apply where you want to work. City and county police departments are not somehow lesser training grounds for state or federal law enforcement agencies.

Comment

Why would you prefer to work for a state police agency, as opposed to county or city?

Comment

We write for a living. A lot.

Punctuation and grammar matter. Do you see the problem with your thread title?

Comment

.......but I'm scared to apply and not get accepted as it will show if I look for other departments.........
              OMG (sigh)

Let's start by looking at the realities of life. If 100 people apply for 20 vacancies, 80 are not going to get hired. There's no shame in that for the 80 that didn't get picked up. It's simple mathematics. That's pretty much how it works in law enforcement. More people usually apply that there are vacancies, so there has to be a way of weeding them out. Back when I was working -

About half the folks that applied were screened ouit because based on a review of their application, the lacked the minimum qualifications for the position. No shame there, just go back and get the qualifications needed.

Of those that went on, about half failed the written exam because they lacked sufficient knowledge of the job they were seeking to correctly answer the minimum required number of questions to pass. No shame there, just go back and study more about the profession you want to enter.

Of those that went on, about half failed the oral exam because they lacked the life and work skills necessary to do the job. Again, no shame there, Just go back, take a few years and acquire these skills.

Of those that went on, about half failed the physical agility. Again, no shame there. Just go back and get in better shape.

Of those that went on, about half failed the background. This may or may not be a problem. Different agencies have different background standards. If you fail, you try to identify the issue to determine if the background folks made a mistake and clear it up, or if there is an issue in your personal history that is correctble with time, or that is permanently disqualifying.

Of those that went on, about half fail the medical. People have lots of conditions that can be made worse by
              law enforcement activity or impair your ability to be a police officer. Here is where you find out.

Of those that continue, a few fail the psych. Psych's are like shooting craps. I have seen an applicant fail a psych with Department A on Monday and pass the psych with Department B on Tuesday. It's only when you start failing psych after psych after psych that you have to start worrying.

But, let's say you pass everything and your name is placed on the eligible (hiring) list. Names are placed there and hired in the order of their score (highest first, next highest second, etc.). With thousands of people applying, scores may be only a Decimil point apart. So, let's say that puts you at #279 out of a hiring list of 500 people, they only fill 180 vacancies, the list dies and they throw it out before they can ever reach you and hold a new test. Will you still feel shamed then?

My agency used to do that. Once we hired everyone in the top 90% of the list, we threw the remaining list out and held a new test. There was no shame for those that didn't get hired, we just wanted the best scorers.

If you let your fears get the best of you, it will hold you back forever, no matter what you do. I used to work with guys who some how got hired as cops but were complete ineffectively and refused to ever take police action because they were overcome with fear as to what might happen if they did something. If this is your mindset, you should not be in this job.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Id suggest waiting, but not for the reasons you think.

You need time to mature snd gain perspective.

Most people apply to many, sometimes dozens, of departments before they are hired.

You think that every cop in the country got picked up on their first try?

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Not getting a job because you weren't selected is not going to hurt you with another agency.

A graduate degree is not necessarily going to help you. The best thing you can do is get the highest score you can on the written test and then interview well. As noted above, a passing score on the test is not going to be sufficient.

Comment

Don't let the possibility of a rejection stop you. Unless you're rejected due to a background/honesty issue, it's not going to affect you with another agency.

The only time it hurts to apply may be when you've over-applied. I got grilled about that on a panel interview once. The panel asked me how many places I'd applied. I told them it was about 30 places in a two year period. I explained that I wanted to get into federal law enforcement before I aged out, and they didn't seem to like that answer.

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                      You think that every cop in the country got picked up on their first try
                      I did. Twice.

Comment

I did. Twice.
                        You're special. Most of us have a nice stack of "thanks but no thanks" letters from throughout our careers (and, imho, are better for it).
                        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post

You're special. Most of us have a nice stack of "thanks but no thanks" letters from throughout our careers (and, imho, are better for it).
                          I'm not special. I'm just fortunate...

Comment

Why would you prefer to work for a state police agency, as opposed to county or city?
                            I'd want to work for a state police agency because I'd rather not be confined to one city or county.
                            To answer your punctuation and grammar comment I am not very formal when making a post as it's the internet and it's anonymous.

Comment

• Aidokea
                              Aidokea commented
                              Editing a comment
                              State police are not allowed to just roam wherever they want in the state- just like county and city cops, they are assigned a particular area to work, and the new guys always get the crappiest assignments.

• Aidokea
                              Aidokea commented
                              Editing a comment
                              And there is an old saying, that we fight how we train- that means that if you're sloppy here, you'd be sloppy documenting other stuff too.

Past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior.

Do you even know what's wrong with your thread title?

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

OMG (sigh)

Let's start by looking at the realities of life. If 100 people apply for 20 vacancies, 80 are not going to get hired. There's no shame in that for the 80 that didn't get picked up. It's simple mathematics. That's pretty much how it works in law enforcement. More people usually apply that there are vacancies, so there has to be a way of weeding them out. Back when I was working -

About half the folks that applied were screened ouit because based on a review of their application, the lacked the minimum qualifications for the position. No shame there, just go back and get the qualifications needed.

Of those that went on, about half failed the written exam because they lacked sufficient knowledge of the job they were seeking to correctly answer the minimum required number of questions to pass. No shame there, just go back and study more about the profession you want to enter.

Of those that went on, about half failed the oral exam because they lacked the life and work skills necessary to do the job. Again, no shame there, Just go back, take a few years and acquire these skills.

Of those that went on, about half failed the physical agility. Again, no shame there. Just go back and get in better shape.

Of those that went on, about half failed the background. This may or may not be a problem. Different agencies have different background standards. If you fail, you try to identify the issue to determine if the background folks made a mistake and clear it up, or if there is an issue in your personal history that is correctble with time, or that is permanently disqualifying.

Of those that went on, about half fail the medical. People have lots of conditions that can be made worse by
                            law enforcement activity or impair your ability to be a police officer. Here is where you find out.

Of those that continue, a few fail the psych. Psych's are like shooting craps. I have seen an applicant fail a psych with Department A on Monday and pass the psych with Department B on Tuesday. It's only when you start failing psych after psych after psych that you have to start worrying.

But, let's say you pass everything and your name is placed on the eligible (hiring) list. Names are placed there and hired in the order of their score (highest first, next highest second, etc.). With thousands of people applying, scores may be only a Decimil point apart. So, let's say that puts you at #279 out of a hiring list of 500 people, they only fill 180 vacancies, the list dies and they throw it out before they can ever reach you and hold a new test. Will you still feel shame then?

My agency used to do that. Once we hired everyone in the top 90% of the list, we threw the remaining list out and held a new test. There was no shame for those that didn't get hired, we just wanted the best scorers.

If you let your fears get the best of you, it will hold you back forever, no matter what you do. I used to work with guys who some how got hired as cops but were complete ineffectively and refused to ever take police action because they were overcome with fear as to what might happen if they did something. If this is your mindset, you should not be in this job.
                            Thanks this helps a lot. I'll apply for my first local department soon and when state patrol recruitment starts up again, I'll give it a shot.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3783 users online. 253 members and 3530 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X