• Show
Clear All

• Winter_Patriot
    commented on 's reply
    You may have dodged a bullet.
    Don’t give up.

• AirborneJones
    replied
    I got the news that they went with someone else two days ago. They did just swear in a lateral transfer though. Not sure why I wasn’t hired, but I had to send an email to get an update after my oral board. They basically forgot about me for a month and a half. I’ll chalk it up as a learning experience and move on.

I’m currently in the process with another department where I know a lieutenant and the department seems more interested in me. There’s a whole different feel there. They seem more positive and personable. I have some other tests lined up and I’ll shift my focus now. Thanks for the advice.

Leave a comment:

• Bing_Oh
    commented on 's reply
    It's certainly not a "gotcha" scenario. Deadly force is justified to protect yourself or another from the immediate threat of serious physical harm or death. No weapon is necessary to cause serious physical harm or death to another...a person could easily beat a person to death with their bare hands or grab their head and beat it into the pavement in a "top mount" position. The officer in your scenario clearly believed that he was in imminent risk of serious physical harm or death (as represented by his statement for you to shoot the suspect) and the suspect's actions support this conclusion.

The assumption that access to a weapon is required to justify deadly force is a fallacy common amongst those who have never seriously considered the scenario and/or have not been trained. It's also been reinforced by recent backlash against legitimate use of force by LE that has been misunderstood and misrepresented in the public. What we understand in LE is that use of force is never pretty and usually misunderstood by the public, even when it's totally justified.

• AirborneJones
    commented on 's reply
    I keep thinking about the scenario. If he’s on top beating my partner then he is likely in a top mount position. That’s how I see it in my mind. In that sort of position I would have been able to see if he had a gun or not. It just seems like a gotcha scenario in a way, but I guess that’s real life policing a lot of the time.

• AirborneJones
    commented on 's reply
    I really hate that I said taser because my first instinct was to shoot. In my mind I thought that the beating could have been deadly force and I second guessed because I wasn’t told there was a weapon. I guess that’s a lesson in not second guessing yourself.

• Winter_Patriot
    commented on 's reply
    I think in some very urban, left-leaning jurisdictions, your answer might have been the correct one. I've seen inquests against officers in similar situations.

• AirborneJones
    commented on 's reply
    Austin is definitely worse. That’s the only place I experienced hate towards the military while I was in. I was in my GSA and drove into protest that stopped traffic years ago. They were protesting something about the Gaza Strip and as soon as they saw my in my GSA and uniform they began pelting it with trash. I’ve only experienced things like that in Austin.

• AirborneJones
    commented on 's reply
    I was in the military 9 years. My older kids are definitely used to me being gone and my younger ones remember it a little. Even when I was recruiting I was barely home. It will be a change because I’ve been home for a while, but we’ve had the talk and they know what’s possibly coming.

• Aidokea
    commented on 's reply
    Well I wish you the best on that.

Situations like that do not necessarily go from bad to good in one personnel rotation- a lot of times, there can be some aftershocks...

• Aidokea
    commented on 's reply
    We assume that everyone is armed, until proven otherwise...

• Aidokea
    replied
    It's not a difficult scenario for anyone that has bothered to learn the justification for the use of deadly force.

The thing about deadly force, is that cops need to have already made the decision to use deadly force BEFORE they face the scenario, because when they are faced with a deadly force situation, there isn't time to hem and haw about whether to use deadly force or not. So when we are faced with a deadly force scenario, there is no delay- we simply stop the threat.

That's why they gave you a deadly force scenario, and then required an answer without delay. Your answer, unfortunately, demonstrated to them that you're not there yet.

The first rule in law enforcement, is that we all go home at the end of our tours of duty.

And anyone that poses a threat to us being able to obey the first rule, is going to get what could most charitably be described as something less than the benefit of the doubt.

Leave a comment:

• Aidokea
    commented on 's reply
    Well, it could be worse, it could be in the Austin area. Since 1991, Austin has elected no Republican mayors.

Dallas has only elected one Republican mayor since 1991, and Fort Worth has only elected two Republican Mayors since 1991- that should be a clue to you.
    Last edited by Aidokea; 07-21-2021, 07:38 AM.

• Aidokea
    commented on 's reply
    If you get hired, you're gonna need to understand that your kids are gonna grow up largely without seeing you, because you're usually going to be working, working overtime, in court, or sleeping when they're awake, and that includes birthdays, holidays, school functions, and so on.

And they're going to need to learn to be absolutely silent when you're sleeping, which is an unnatural thing for people to do, and the younger they are, the more difficult it is.

• AirborneJones
    commented on 's reply
    It was a difficult scenario because a gun was never mentioned until after I chose to tase him. I don’t feel I can make an informed decision to shoot someone with the info given. I feel like I was slightly setup to fail that question.

• AirborneJones
    commented on 's reply
    I’m typing on an iPad and I was in a hurry. I promised my youngest kids I’d hit the pool and watch a movie with them after I got back. They were antsy. I’m usually pretty strict with spelling and grammar.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3960 users online. 246 members and 3714 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X