300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Info

Hello people, I’m wondering… do I need to list my co workers and supervisors physical address for the background information ? Some of those co workers I don’t even talk to anymore so if I were to ask that information, im sure they’d think it weird and say no. I’d ask the officer assigned to answer these questions but he isn’t responding to my calls or emails, options on what to do with this situation as well?

Thanks people.
    Last edited by Cisco912; 07-10-2021, 11:43 PM.

Originally posted by Cisco912 View Post
    Hello people, I’m wondering… do I need to list my co workers and supervisors physical address for the background information ? Some of those co workers I don’t even talk to anymore so if I were to ask that information, im sure they’d think it weird and say no. I’d ask the officer assigned to answer these questions but he isn’t responding to my calls or emails lol, options on what to do with this situation as well?

Thanks people.
    What do the instructions say?

Comment

Let's just stop and think about this for a minute. Why do you suppose your BI wants that contact information?

Really now. You want to be a cop, so let's apply what few investigative skills you might already have so far. Why do you think he wants this information? It's OK, we'll all wait for a minute why you think this one through.

OK, times up and no answer.

Your BI is going to either visit these people in person, phone them or mail them questionnaires, inquiring about your background and character. How is he going to do that if he has no contact information for them? Unlike on television, there is no room in the police station where they house computer geeks who can enter someone's name alone in their computer and pull out every address and phone number for them in half a second. If you list no information, your BI will have two choices. He can start calling every phone number he can find for a person with the name you gave them and ask if they ever know a Cisco 912, or instead, he can write in your background package -

Applicant was unable or unwilling to make the effort to obtain and provide the requested contact information for his supervisors, coworkers, etc., as part of the background investigation process As such, Applicant appears to lack the traits of dependability, industry, thoroughness, accuracy, good judgment, initiative, resourcefulness, and willingness and ability to assume the responsibilities and to conform to the conditions of work characteristic of employment, all of which are minimum requirements of the position he is seeking. I recommend he be disqualified from further consideration.

If I were your BI, I would (and have done) the latter.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Provide the required answers to the questions that are asked,....... I'm always amazed how often this SAME question is asked.

Comment

Answer the questions asked.

Provide the information requested.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I am mystified whenever this question comes up.

This kid is 20 years old, so he's only been out of high school for two years, and his entire life has occurred in a time where all the information in the world is available instantly on the phone in his pocket.

When I filled out my first SPH, I'd been out of high school for 10 years, and there was no internet. I had to do things like find the zip code for a kindergarten that ceased to exist prior to the introduction of zip codes. But the instructions asked for it, so I took the initiative, put in the work, and found it. I did a lot of driving around, knocking in doors, making phone calls, and searching physical records, but I got everything they asked for. And I got hired.

Comment

• Cisco912
              Cisco912 commented
              Editing a comment
              All due respect, people are different now and have issues giving out their physical address to former co workers, their reason? Not sure, but if they’re saying no, then it’s a no, I’m not going to start pulling finger nails out for an address. They’re not comfortable giving that type of information to someone they used to work with, totally understandable, I’ve received and filled out all the other information asked, besides the physical address.

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              "Cisco912 commented
              Today, 12:09 AM
              All due respect, people are different now and have issues giving out their physical address to former co workers, their reason? Not sure, but if they’re saying no, then it’s a no, I’m not going to start pulling finger nails out for an address. They’re not comfortable giving that type of information to someone they used to work with, totally understandable, I’ve received and filled out all the other information asked, besides the physical address."

Saved...

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              The challenge that stands between you and a career in law enforcement is not the year on the calendar. The contrast between "now" and then, is not an excuse for you being "unable or unwilling to make the effort to obtain and provide the requested contact information" as L-1 put it above.

The challenge that stands between you and a career in law enforcement, is you.

Cops need to be trustworthy people, people who are worthy of trust. Cops are trusted with a lot more than an address- cops are given a gun and a badge, and entrusted to go out into the community on their own, and make life and death decisions in difficult situations, in real time.

And past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior- that's why we need to talk to the people in your past.

So if the people who have known you, don't trust you enough to give you their addresses, there's no way we're going to give you a gun and a badge.

Why does the investigating officer not responding to your calls or texts make you "LOL?" Grown ups don't speak like that. In this career we type, speak and convey our questions in an adult manner.

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
              Why does the investigating officer not responding to your calls or texts make you "LOL?" Grown ups don't speak like that. In this career we type, speak and convey our questions in an adult manner.
              Being the senior guy on the watch, I used to run "The Word Of The Day" contest. After roll call, I would give the word of the day to the other officers in the parking lot. The first officer to get an official police report containing the word of the day approved by a supervisor, wins. I used words like "superfluous", "obsequious", and stuff like that. I would NEVER use the word "lol"- that would just be unprofessional...

Comment

• Cisco912
                Cisco912 commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks like you’ve used the word lol twice today alone actually … on several post, no hate, just thought it was hilarious.

Thanks for the responses guys.
              Last edited by Cisco912; 07-10-2021, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Looks like we have another deleter.

He was complaining that we were being too hard on him. I think he used the word "obliterated".

Comment

• Cisco912
                  Cisco912 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just didn’t want to keep this going, I’m new to the forums so forgive me if that’s something wrong to do here.

• Aidokea
                  Aidokea commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This job isn't for everyone.

Nobody "obliterated" you.

If you're having a hard time with our responses, there's no way you'd be able to deal with the way that people treat cops on the street.

You sound like you lack context. People who are immature, tend to lack context, because they lack life experiences. So everything they encounter in their life, is the most extreme thing they've ever experienced, because they've never experienced anything in the real world before. That's lack of context.

There is a certain level of maturity that is required, to be able to effectively function as a police officer.

So deleting in and of itself, is not the problem- it is the uncontrolled impulsiveness of posting a wall of text worthy of deletion, that is the problem.

So for example, you deleting the "lol" from your first post in this thread isn't the problem- the problem is that you posted it in the first place.

Comment

• Cisco912
                  Cisco912 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I apologize, one of the users said it was unprofessional, I just don’t want to be seen as that. Don’t think it’s immature, I’m just looking out for myself.

• Aidokea
                  Aidokea commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I appreciate that, but this isn't about us teaching you how to hide your incompatibilities with this profession.

Have you considered joining the military?

Aidokea I actually have! I’ve just been left and right with it, I told myself that if the hiring process doesn’t go well, I would join, I do believe I lack in life experiences, I just know I have what it takes to become an officer, so yes if I were to get denied, I might actually join. Just want to make my parents proud really.

Comment

• Aidokea
                  Aidokea commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Join the military.

Originally posted by Cisco912 View Post
                AidokeaI just know I have what it takes to become an officer,
                Actually NO ONE knows what it takes to become a peace officer until they have done it.

Every year thousands of people nationwide fail testing. Most of them were sure they had what it takes

THEN hundreds nationwide get hired (or go to the academy on their own dime) and fail to make it through the academy. They were sure they had what it takes

After that probably the same amount of people nationwide (hundreds) make it through the academy but are not kept on the job due to Field Training or other Probationary problems. Again, they were all sure.

Now after all that-------------------- about 40-50% of the officers that make it this far......................leave the profession within 5 yrs.

I have personally trained a good number officers who had what it takes to be a good officer.....................who ended up freezing during a critical incident or who were just involved in a critical incident and left the profession due to finding out they really didn't have what it takes to do this job..

I am not trying to be a smart *** but this is reality.
                My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Cisco912
                  Cisco912 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the insight, I guess no one really knows if they can become an officer. I’m up for the challenge!

• Cisco912
                  Cisco912 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lieutenant… I want to thank you for taking your time and responding to me. This was very well put together and I want to be better then those statistics. I’ll make you all proud some day.

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

Actually NO ONE knows what it takes to become a peace officer until they have done it.

Every year thousands of people nationwide fail testing. Most of them were sure they had what it takes

THEN hundreds nationwide get hired (or go to the academy on their own dime) and fail to make it through the academy. They were sure they had what it takes

After that probably the same amount of people nationwide (hundreds) make it through the academy but are not kept on the job due to Field Training or other Probationary problems. Again, they were all sure.

Now after all that-------------------- about 40-50% of the officers that make it this far......................leave the profession within 5 yrs.

I have personally trained a good number officers who had what it takes to be a good officer.....................who ended up freezing during a critical incident or who were just involved in a critical incident and left the profession due to finding out they really didn't have what it takes to do this job..

I am not trying to be a smart *** but this is reality.
                Yup.

Thanks for covering that.

He's 20 years old, so when he said he knows that he has what it takes to be a good officer, I figured he was confusing what he WANTS with what he "knows"...

Comment

• Cisco912
                  Cisco912 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not confused.

How bad do you want it?

Comment

• Cisco912
                  Cisco912 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very much. My former boss would never get out of his office, thus leading him to not trust me with his physical address. Can you blame the guy, I never even had a chance to actually talk to him. Doesn’t help that I only worked there for 4 months. Sorry, I guess I’m just ranting at this point. You all have motivated me seriously, I need to stop bs’ing and give it my 110%! I want this bad.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4479 users online. 304 members and 4175 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X