300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have a chance of getting hired?

I'm look for opinions of officers here about my chances of getting hired as a police officer.

Here is my background:
    • Was arrested at 16 years old for looking into a parked car and pulling on the door handle. I was also with a former friend if that matters. I was looking for loose change. The car was locked so we just continued walking away. Maybe 20 minutes later a police officer stopped us and questioned us about the car. I told the truth about what I did and was arrested.
    • At 18 years old I was fired from a local grocery store for stealing about $60 worth of items. I stole the items because I wanted to give most the items to my brother for his birthday coming up. I didn't have money to buy the items because I gave all my money to my aunt (who was taking care of me) because she said I had to start paying for stuff around the house because she can't pay for everything. I was caught at the door leaving the store. I didn't try to run or fight, I just went with loss prevention to the office. I was not arrested and I came back a few days later to make a payment plan to pay the store back.
    • I have 3 speeding tickets in my life and the last one was about 4 years ago.
    • I do not have a college degree but have a steady work history of 11 years and decent credit score. Also I am 30 years old now.
    hopefully this is enough information for you guys to give me a clue if I have a chance at this career. Also I live in michigan.

Originally posted by Chance? View Post
    I'm look for opinions of officers here about my chances of getting hired as a police officer.

Here is my background:
    • Was arrested at 16 years old for looking into a parked car and pulling on the door handle. I was also with a former friend if that matters. I was looking for loose change. The car was locked so we just continued walking away. Maybe 20 minutes later a police officer stopped us and questioned us about the car. I told the truth about what I did and was arrested.
    • At 18 years old I was fired from a local grocery store for stealing about $60 worth of items. I stole the items because I wanted to give most the items to my brother for his birthday coming up. I didn't have money to buy the items because I gave all my money to my aunt (who was taking care of me) because she said I had to start paying for stuff around the house because she can't pay for everything. I was caught at the door leaving the store. I didn't try to run or fight, I just went with loss prevention to the office. I was not arrested and I came back a few days later to make a payment plan to pay the store back.
    • I have 3 speeding tickets in my life and the last one was about 4 years ago.
    • I do not have a college degree but have a steady work history of 11 years and decent credit score. Also I am 30 years old now.
    hopefully this is enough information for you guys to give me a clue if I have a chance at this career. Also I live in michigan.
    Not having a college degree is no big deal with a lot of agencies.

3 speeding tickets is not a big deal for a 30 year old, especially since the last one was more than 3 years ago.

Getting fired is not good. Stealing is not good. Getting fired for stealing is not good.

But the car clout is a felony everywhere I've ever worked as a cop, and committing a felony would probably be a hard "no".
    Last edited by Aidokea; 07-06-2021, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Why would this be considered a felony? I was in jail for only 1 day and paid less than $500 in fines.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
        Winter_Patriot commented
        Editing a comment
        Depends on the state. I can think of one state where it's just a car prowl, misdemeanor unless multiple prior convictions for it.

Why would this be considered a felony? I was in jail for only 1 day and paid less than $500 in fines.
      What state did it occur in?

Comment

It was Michigan

Comment

It was Michigan
          In Michigan, a car clout can be either a misdemeanor or a felony, so depending on the circumstances, it may or may not have been a felony...in Michigan.

If you're applying in any other state(s), you'll need to look up their laws, to see if your offense is considered a felony to them.

In any case, it is not a good thing.

Comment

Ok thank you for the information

Comment

Criminal attempt entering an auto is a felony here.

The other theft certainly doesn't help anything.

Doesn't look good for you but who knows these days. I've heard some desperate departments holding on to some bad ones.

Comment

That's sad to hear. Wish my younger self wasn't so stupid. Thank you for your input. I appreciate your viewpoint.

Comment

]Was arrested at 16 years old for looking into a parked car and pulling on the door handle. I was also with a former friend if that matters. I was looking for loose change.
                  In Colorado attempted first degree criminal trespass is a class 6 felony. If you were convicted of that charge, or a similar charge elsewhere, you have no chance here,

Even if you pled to a lesser charge, you committed a felony. It wouldn’t be impossible but with your other history unlikely.

At 18 years old I was fired from a local grocery store for stealing about $60 worth of items. I stole the items because I wanted to give most the items to my brother for his birthday coming up.
                  Why is irrelevant. You were in a position of trust and violated that trust.

Are you going to steal from the evidence locker for his next birthday?

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I’m waiting for the inevitable “FU” coming soon…

Comment

Thank for your opinion. This was in the past when I was not making very smart decisions. I just wanted to see how my chances are now that I'm am older and more mature. There nothing I can do about the past but move forward and be honest. It does not mean I will steal in the future but I thank you for your view point. In your opinion should I just give up or continue to at least try?

Comment

I more mature then to say FU to experienced professionals. Got to have thick skin.

Comment

Thank for your opinion. This was in the past when I was not making very smart decisions. I just wanted to see how my chances are now that I'm am older and more mature. There nothing I can do about the past but move forward and be honest. It does not mean I will steal in the future but I thank you for your view point. In your opinion should I just give up or continue to at least try?
                          What evidence do we have that anything has changed?

You still are minimizing and avoiding responsibility.

You were looking for loose change? The cop caught you 20 minutes later? You jiggled the door handle but it was locked? So what?

It was your brother’s birthday? Your aunt expected you to help with household finances? You didn’t fight loss prevention? So what?

...and if you were “caught at the door” with everything you had ever stolen, why did you need to make a payment plan?

Being 30 is irrelevant. You’re just a child grown large. You may have learned not to do the stupid stuff that gets you caught, you may even have learned crime isn’t worth it.... but you haven’t learned to accept responsibility for your actions. Everything has an excuse, a mitigator or is someone else’s fault.

Forget tryst by to become a cop. Try to become an adult.

Got to have thick skin.
                          Why does the truth require thick skin?
                          Last edited by tanksoldier; 07-06-2021, 09:30 PM.
                          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Thank you for your opinion. Have a nice day.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4601 users online. 311 members and 4290 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X