300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odds of getting hired ?

Hello, I’m fairly new to this site, it’s been very useful to me so far and love the information I can get off it. Anyways my question is, once I passed the written and PAT, complete backgrounds, psych test, and everything else, is it a guarantee that I’ll get an invite to the academy ?

I've seen people pass the background, medical, poly/psych test and still not get hired by agencies in Washington state and also the USMS. I'm assuming that passing all those steps meant that those people were eligible for hire, but that the agencies hired people they thought were more qualified.

Comment

Nothing is guaranteed. At any point before or after hiring, all it takes is one bad decision to end a career in law enforcement.

Comment

But yes, close to the end you should get a conditional offer in writing.

Comment

Nothing is guaranteed. Part of it really depends on how the hiring agency does its processing and how long it keeps lists active. For example, you passed everything but did not make this year's academy cut, but you are in line for next year's academy. Covid hits, there is a hiring freeze, the civil service list expires, and you go from a slot at the academy to being washed out of the process along with everybody else.
          Last edited by just joe; 07-06-2021, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Thank you all for the responses, I now know that I may not get hired but of course, there’s a slight chance I will.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
              Winter_Patriot commented
              Editing a comment
              You should apply for multiple agencies, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Your chances might be more than slight, but definitely not guaranteed depending on the agency. Normally in employment law, "conditional offer" means that you will get hired on IF you complete the requirements, i.e. a very literal meaning of the word conditional. Some agencies add some language in there about conditional offer depending on the needs of the agency too.

Winter_Patriot interesting, thanks you, what would you say about the highway patrol ? Tough to get in compared to other agencies or where does it fall on the scale lol.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
              Winter_Patriot commented
              Editing a comment
              That's one of the only types of agencies I've never applied with, can't say. I imagine it's more competitive than municipal or county hiring though.

Bigger agencies, S/O's are usually always hiring, although you'll probably start as a CO until an academy starts or until there's an opening on the street.

**** off the Sheriff or Rank and you'll retire as a CO.

Make friends with everyone, keep out of tight groups, while floating freely among them all, and you'll be good.

Support the Sheriff and be available around election time.

Comment

Originally posted by Winter_Patriot View Post
              I'm assuming that passing all those steps meant that those people were eligible for hire, but that the agencies hired people they thought were more qualified.
              PASSING the basic requirements means nothing other than they qualify for employment.

Just because you meet the requirements does not mean you are going to get hired. IT still comes down to the fact that 99% of applicants do not actually get hired on to any specific agency. Only the ones the hiring authority feels will be the best employee are going to get hired. That takes all the testing into account as well as background AND interview phases.

I have seen people get hired just because the Sheriff was impressed with them at SOME point in the process.

A "tie" almost always goes to someone who made a favorable impression

My old sheriff came to the written and physical testing with sunglasses and a hat pulled down over his head wearing workout clothes to "observe". Boy did he observe
              Last edited by Iowa #1603; 07-06-2021, 04:49 PM.
              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Cisco912 View Post
                Anyways my question is, once I passed the written and PAT, complete backgrounds, psych test, and everything else, is it a guarantee that I’ll get an invite to the academy ?
                No.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4500 users online. 309 members and 4191 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X