Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

And some of us who have been doing it for decades
    And we generally get paid to get lied to. Getting lied to for free, is not nearly as much fun...

Comment

• Iowa #1603
      Iowa #1603 commented
      Editing a comment
      But is sooooo much more fun to be able to call them out as we wish rather then as the courts & admin demand when we are on the clock

Originally posted by Starks11 View Post
    You have what sounds like an awesome job. I actually take the test for Néw Orleans in early June. Awaiting to see if a get a conditional offer from DOC as well. My father made it thru but decided to stick to retirement (he was a judge). He didn’t find it too difficult a process. He actually had a pot arrest from college but was ok. Does New Orleans have a reputation for being difficult or less so? My background is in teaching, still have active license, two masters degrees, one 8 year old case that was nolle prossed.
    I can conclusively tell you that New Orleans has a VERY in-depth BG Investigation and strict hiring standards. If this was 25-30 years ago not so much, but in the last 10 years it has been shored up. If you are applying there with the thought they will overlook things or be willing to "take anybody" your logic is flawed. If you have been zapped in BG by other departments I can guarantee you are going to get zapped in New Orleans as well.

Comment

• Starks11
      Starks11 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have not been rejected else where. This will be my first department. I’m in the final stages with two corrections departments but expect law enforcement to be a far more grueling process. I’m ok with it not working out and going into corrections. Should be fun and interesting to experience the process though.

I'm right with you on one thing, Starks11. I applied to a department, went through their hiring process which included an initial in-depth application, a written test, a physical test, acquiring all of the documentation and filling out the in-depth personal history statement, an oral board, and an anal exam of a background check. I was on the home stretch after that with a job offer from the department, and all I had to do now was take and pass the medical and psychological screenings. To shorten the story, I didn't pass the color vision portion. The doctor flashed a bunch of colored dots with numbers hidden in them, and I wasn't able to list them all in the allotted time. (I am not color blind, but I do have a red/green deficiency. You can point at any color and I will accurately tell you what it is.)

I knew I had this 'problem' before putting all of the time, effort and money into the undertaking, but nowhere on their site did they list about color vision as a requirement. It was a major kick to the gut for me since I wasn't used to losing. I know being born with a color deficiency isn't a choice like illegal narcotics usage, but just not being up front with requirements is wrong for any hiring process.

Comment

• Starks11
      Starks11 commented
      Editing a comment
      This must have been devastating. So sorry you had to go through this.

Originally posted by angeredmgmt View Post

I knew I had this 'problem' before putting all of the time, effort and money into the undertaking, but nowhere on their site did they list about color vision as a requirement. It was a major kick to the gut for me since I wasn't used to losing. I know being born with a color deficiency isn't a choice like illegal narcotics usage, but just not being up front with requirements is wrong for any hiring process.
    I rarely see color vision being referenced in police job postings in Iowa. HOWEVER the ILEA administrative rules (Iowa Code) mandates a color vision standard AND lists the acceptable tests that can be used for meeting that standard AND all job postings mention meeting ILEA standards .
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I rarely see color vision being referenced in police job postings in Iowa. HOWEVER the ILEA administrative rules (Iowa Code) mandates a color vision standard AND lists the acceptable tests that can be used for meeting that standard AND all job postings mention meeting ILEA standards .
      I was in the interest phase with another department when the one I referred to previously put out their job listing first. (The one I had interest in wasn't able to put out a job listing due to their budget at the time.) After receiving the news I had been cut from consideration, I went back to the first department and spoke with the 2nd in charge. He still had my information, which he always made sure was still there after cleaning his desk.(He and a couple of his officers and I hit it off on our first meeting, and he said I'd make a good fit.) I told him what had happened, and he called county HR to confirm if the color vision was just limited to the department I had applied to or was it universal to all county LE departments. He told me that she told him it was universal, so he could no longer consider me because of that. However, he told me that his department didn't have that color vision standard, and he didn't remember that standard being in TCOLE standards.

Other than all of that happening, I had already done my enlistment in the USMC where color was very important in my day to day work with electronics and high explosives, and I had already retired from my LE career after 26.5 years. It was an immediate drop, and they didn't even allow the option of me correcting the color deficiency with available corrective lenses.

Again, I'm not color blind. I see most colors vividly and passionately as most. I can't remember which one, but the red and green cones in my eyes interfere with each other where one color oversaturates the other's cones. To add, I applied to the Texas DPS out of USMC, and because of my deficiency, I had to drive around with 2 troopers who would point out objects like cars, houses and signs, etc, which I had to correctly identify the color of. It was a breeze, and I passed with a 100%.

It has been since the late '80s so I don't remember now, but I think Texas DPS listed a color vision requirement, but I don't think the department I retired from did. During my time as a LEO, I never came close to having an issue with color. So again, listing many of the hard requirements should be listed in their postings' job descriptions so you can make major decisions before wasting precious time, effort, money, etc.

Comment

Well to the original question. The corrections department went over the the arrest stuff and simply asked I send the disposition. They told me the facility I’ll be hired for and should get a final decision in 2 weeks. Seems like dismissed charges from long ago are not deal breakers.

Comment

I remember being given a color vision test as part of my pre-employment phyical exam, and the specifics of the physical exam were specified by the hiring agency.

But then again, the listed qualifications for the position included having a valid driver's license, and I had to pass a color vision test as part of that process too.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
            Winter_Patriot commented
            Editing a comment
            I had a hell of a time getting hired being red-green colorblind. I gave up in my mid-20s. I started applying again in my mid-30s, when I found out I could pass an alternative test (Farnsworth D-15). It pays to be persistent.

Well to the original question. The corrections department went over the the arrest stuff and simply asked I send the disposition. They told me the facility I’ll be hired for and should get a final decision in 2 weeks. Seems like dismissed charges from long ago are not deal breakers.
          Different agencies have different standards. I have come across some smaller, rural, police and sheriff's offices who have backgrounds that entail little more than running applicants through NCIC, state and local databases. I have also seen agencies who will literally send a background investigator all over the country to physically visit an applicants previous and current employers, neighbors, etc. Never take it for granted that because you passed BG with one agency that you will pass it with another. I will also say (with some exceptions) corrections will often overlook some things which would disqualify one from a job as a police officer.

Comment

Originally posted by dream34 View Post
            I will also say (with some exceptions) corrections will often overlook some things which would disqualify one from a job as a police officer.
            After working in both Police and Corrections.......dor over 40 yrs ...............this is a BIG mistake

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
              I remember being given a color vision test as part of my pre-employment phyical exam, and the specifics of the physical exam were specified by the hiring agency.

But then again, the listed qualifications for the position included having a valid driver's license, and I had to pass a color vision test as part of that process too.
              Isn’t color vision testing a racist construct?

Comment

After working in both Police and Corrections.......dor over 40 yrs ...............this is a BIG mistake
                I agree completely. By far the biggest offenders of this (at least from what I have observed) are Juvenile Detention Centers and Corrections Deputies hired by Sheriff's Offices.

Comment

Originally posted by dream34 View Post

I agree completely. By far the biggest offenders of this (at least from what I have observed) are Juvenile Detention Centers and Corrections Deputies hired by Sheriff's Offices.
                  Actually MOST state Department of Corrections have MUCH lower standards than the peace officers in those states.

Juvi Detention centers aren't even close for the most part anywhere.

Comment

Just to update I have a final offer from one department and a conditional offer from my preferred dept. did the psych interview and some basic background questions and said nothing really needing addressing from the battery results

Once the final step of the conditional offer requirements is complete is a decision usually fast coming? In a difficult situation as I don’t want to turn down the final offer and for some reason the other doesn’t work out
                    Last edited by Starks11; 07-08-2021, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Congratulations!

Are these the CO positions you mentioned, or PD S/O offers?

Comment

• Starks11
                        Starks11 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hey, thanks! And yes the two corrections positions. The police department is doing my background but I may withdraw from that.
                        As far as the topics addressed here previously the police background officer said that pretty much any problems in my background can be addressed and overcome but the only thing that would forever disqualify someone is lying about any of it. Whether they say this so one will be forthcoming or not I do not know
                        Last edited by Starks11; 07-09-2021, 06:02 AM.

• Winter_Patriot
                        Winter_Patriot commented
                        Editing a comment
                        This is why honesty is always the best policy. You may need to wait a decade or more for time to pass, but that's better than starting your LE career on a lie. People have been caught and pulled out of the academy when they try to cover up things.

Just to update I have a final offer from one department and a conditional offer from my preferred dept. did the psych interview and some basic background questions and said nothing really needing addressing from the battery results

Once the final step of the conditional offer requirements is complete is a decision usually fast coming? In a difficult situation as I don’t want to turn down the final offer and for some reason the other doesn’t work out
                      If you get a FINAL offer....that means you are hired once you accept it.

Conditional offers are something totally different. Could take days, weeks or months for a final offer depending on when the agency is actually ready to hire

Comment

• Starks11
                        Starks11 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, I’m really not hopeful they move as quickly as I’d like. If I get a final offer and it’s too late to accept, do they hold that against you if you reapply? I’m assuming it happens all the time given people need to accept final offers and not risk losing them. Plus if I reapplied say a year later I’d presumably have a record of success in the field for a year.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3090 users online. 217 members and 2873 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X