300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrections job

Can a job in corrections consider an arrest from 8 years ago. Disposition was Nolle Prosequi? The FCRA has a 7 year rule but of course some exceptions for some jobs. The background check form only asks for conviction disclosure. This is the last step before I get a conditional job offer. They have moved my candidacy along pretty quick as I have multiple graduate degrees. Then just psych battery and drug screen

Originally posted by Starks11 View Post
    Can a job in corrections consider an arrest from 8 years ago. Disposition was Nolle Prosequi? The FCRA has a 7 year rule but of course some exceptions for some jobs. The background check form only asks for conviction disclosure. This is the last step before I get a conditional job offer. They have moved my candidacy along pretty quick as I have multiple graduate degrees. Then just psych battery and drug screen
    What was the arrest for?

Comment

Possession.

Comment

Possession.
        Possession of what?

Comment

Marihuana. But I’m curious if it will even be reported give the standard laws on background checks relating to non convictions

Comment

Marihuana. But I’m curious if it will even be reported give the standard laws on background checks relating to non convictions
            They can consider whatever they like when reviewing candidates for employment. What "standard laws on background checks relating to non convictions" are you referring to? I know of no "standard laws" that restrict an employer from obtaining or considering criminal prosecution in hiring.

If you're asking whether you should list this arrest in your background packet or if they won't be able to find it, I'd remind you that lying is a mortal sin in LE hiring, possession of pot is not. If they advise to list arrests, then you list it. If there's a doubt, you tell the BI.
            "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
            -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Possession.

Comment

They do not ask for arrest in the disclosure only convictions in last 10 years. And no employers cannot look at anything they want to. The laws may be different for law enforcment. But as far as corrections, I’m not sure that’s why I’m asking

Comment

They do not ask for arrest in the disclosure only convictions in last 10 years. And no employers cannot look at anything they want to. The laws may be different for law enforcment. But as far as corrections, I’m not sure that’s why I’m asking
                  I can assure you that law enforcement agencies (including corrections) can and do look at everything they want in your background. A competent BI can even get expunged records.

One of the standard forms you sign during pre-employment for a LE agency is a blanket record release form. There is nothing confidential in LE hiring.
                  Last edited by Bing_Oh; 05-08-2021, 07:58 AM.
                  "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Aidokea
                    Aidokea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This......

I figured as much, thanks!

Comment

Marihuana.
                    How much marijuana?

What were the circumstances?

Comment

I’m wondering why they only ask for convictions within the last 10 years (which is consistent with the general state laws for all positions)? Why not ask about all arrests and convictions and ask for dispositions? I’m in the process of applying to a large police department and they ask for all that info

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post

They can consider whatever they like when reviewing candidates for employment. What "standard laws on background checks relating to non convictions" are you referring to? I know of no "standard laws" that restrict an employer from obtaining or considering criminal prosecution in hiring.

If you're asking whether you should list this arrest in your background packet or if they won't be able to find it, I'd remind you that lying is a mortal sin in LE hiring, possession of pot is not. If they advise to list arrests, then you list it. If there's a doubt, you tell the BI.
                        Yep.......................they can CONSIDER anything they want. There might be time limits on AUTOMATIC disqualifiers but at the end of the process the hiring authority can consider anything in your background as being "not so good" and they can go with someone else

I’m wondering why they only ask for convictions within the last 10 years (which is consistent with the general state laws for all positions)? Why not ask about all arrests and convictions and ask for dispositions? I’m in the process of applying to a large police department and they ask for all that info
                        You do understand that when they request a COMPLETE CRIMINAL HISTORY on you through NCIC they will find EVERYTHING on your history.

It doesn't matter if the ASK for only 5, 7, 9, or 10 yrs on the application.........they will find it all
                        Last edited by Iowa #1603; 05-08-2021, 12:15 PM.
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

What standard laws?

I can find your arrest record. So can they.

...and if they ask for all arrests, and you fail to disclose, that isn’t ten years ago... that’s falsifying your application today.
                          Last edited by tanksoldier; 05-08-2021, 08:26 PM.
                          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I hope those multiple graduate degrees are in something useful. Just sayin...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2466 users online. 124 members and 2342 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X