300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I used the search button but I still have questions, help please

Well I searched the forums and tried to come up with answers before I asked the same old questions that every one else ask. I will make it short because I know people dont want to read my life story. First let me give some background on myself, I was in the Air Force for 4 years and I had 2 remaining years left on my contract before I was given a general discharge due to force shaping. I never had any dui's or big trouble just a problem with being late early in my career when I was 18 years old. To make a long story short they screwed me over and said that because I did that 3 years ago they wanted to get rid of me before it became a problem. So my plans were to try to become a police officer before all this force shaping happened and now I guess those plans are in limbo.

I received a General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions. So my question is what is my chance at getting into a police department? I already got a no from my dream job which was Atlanta Police Department so i'm really bummed about this. At this point I am willing to do what ever I have to, to prove myself and get my foot in the door. Does any one know what agencies will even consider a Admin discharged troop? I'm only 21, almost 22, and I just want to pursue some thing that I have worked for since I was a kid. Thanks for any responses.

General under Honerable Conditions usually is a DQ. I would petition the Air Force for an upgrade on your discharge, they can upgrade it to honerable. The reason you articulated sounds unreasonable, if it is true then you may be able to have the discharge upgraded. You would be required to report the upgrade to the hiring agency, they will check with DOD.
    Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

Originally posted by DetectorAz View Post
      The reason you articulated sounds unreasonable
      Yes it does. I know plenty of folks that got early outs and bonus's for leaving early in the 90s.....and they all got Honorable.......

The whole story isn't out there....and that's why you got zapped by APD......

Comment

General Discharges change to Honorable after 6 months, but you have to write congress or something to get it changed, look that up.

Of course you will have to meet alot of requirements, from why you got the general to what your doing now. My cousin did this so I know its possible.

In other words, you couldn't have got the general for something stupid IE: drugs, or disciplinary actions over a certain lvl. and you have to be someone who contributes to society now that you are a civilian.
        Last edited by airbornefergie; 06-11-2007, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by airbornefergie View Post
          General Discharges change to Honorable after 6 months, but you have to write congress or something to get it changed, look that up.
          Have to appeal to the VA (I believe) to get it upgraded....

Comment

Yeah that sounds right, the way I see it, if you didn't deserve an honorable when you got out, you probably dont later in life, discharges are for military service, not how you changed when you got out, (my cousin gets ****ed when I tell him this, lol)

Comment

Help Please

Originally posted by jayson544 View Post
              Well I searched the forums and tried to come up with answers before I asked the same old questions that every one else ask. I will make it short because I know people dont want to read my life story. First let me give some background on myself, I was in the Air Force for 4 years and I had 2 remaining years left on my contract before I was given a general discharge due to force shaping. I never had any dui's or big trouble just a problem with being late early in my career when I was 18 years old. To make a long story short they screwed me over and said that because I did that 3 years ago they wanted to get rid of me before it became a problem. So my plans were to try to become a police officer before all this force shaping happened and now I guess those plans are in limbo.

I received a General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions. So my question is what is my chance at getting into a police department? I already got a no from my dream job which was Atlanta Police Department so i'm really bummed about this. At this point I am willing to do what ever I have to, to prove myself and get my foot in the door. Does any one know what agencies will even consider a Admin discharged troop? I'm only 21, almost 22, and I just want to pursue some thing that I have worked for since I was a kid. Thanks for any responses.
              Only you and the Air Force know for certain, but I suspect there's more to the story than you're telling here. If that's the case, that's your call, and I respect that. What you have to keep in mind though, is that when you apply to a LE agency, your life becomes pretty much an open book. There are administrative procedures for having discharges upgraded. You might try contacting your Representative in Congress to see if he/she can be of assistance to you. Complete disclosure of all the facts relative to your case is going to be required. Simply saying "I was screwed over", even if true, isn't going to cut it. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Comment

No that really is the whole story. There isnt any more to it. The air force is going through a changing period and I happen to be one of those that got canned due to my record of "minor misconduct" 3 years ago. My career field is overmanned and they figured they could do without me. I guess I could apply to get upgraded but I am not within my window to do so as I have only been out for a month now. Atlanta Police Departments policy is they will only look at people with a Honorable discharge. Atleast thats what their recuriter told me.

Comment

Originally posted by jayson544 View Post
                  Atlanta Police Departments policy is they will only look at people with a Honorable discharge. Atleast thats what their recuriter told me.
                  I would suspect 99.9% of the Law Enforcement Agencies in the US take that same stand......

No Honorable Discharge.....no job.......

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                    I would suspect 99.9% of the Law Enforcement Agencies in the US take that same stand......

No Honorable Discharge.....no job.......
                    Thanks for the replies guys. I looked at a couple of law enforcement agencies and I might have a shot at getting one of them. Because my discharge isnt as "bad" it isnt hurting as much as if I got a other than honorable or dishonorable. I am already working on my discharge upgrade package so hopefully I can work hard at whichever agency picks me up and transfer to the Atlanta Police Department later on.

Comment

i served 15 years in the army and got an early out with 3 years left on my enlistment. my discharge was honorable. there has to be more to it. did you receive any kind of punishment while you were in? such as article 15s, confinement, extra duty, chaptered out, etc.. this has a lot to do with it when deciding if you get a general discharge or honorable. if it was serious enough for you to get a chapter, it will take 2 years to convert from general to honorable. your BI gets all your records from DOD and will know everything that happened to you while in the military.
                      Last edited by saintsfan71; 06-24-2007, 10:40 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5093 users online. 316 members and 4777 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X