300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polygraph cheating(?)

Good evening everyone. So...this may sound as a strange question, and hopefully I word it correctly. So I took the second polygraph of my life. The first one I took, I was honest but somehow failed. I know thats probably typically the story, but it is what it is.

So i'm taking this second one, and I tell the interviewer (who happens to be a police chief of a different city) everything that happened in the first one. I tell them exactly what the other person said, everything that happened; how I felt about polygraphs. I spend about 40 minutes word vomiting at this person.

So I take the test, and I try to keep my breathing steady, my body still; all the things that I think might've failed me last time. After the test, he says "so whats going on? We need to talk about this" which makes me internally think "there's no way." So he askes me what I looked up about polygraphs. And I told him, that I mainly looked up there success rates. So he goes on to ask what I was doing during the test...which confuses me for a moment. He says that he knows what I was doing, and that I fell for a trap during the test that he set up. So I tell him that I was trying to keep my breathing even, so that my heart beat doesn't fly off the charts. He nods and asks why I did that. I tell him that my first failure made me lose 100% faith in the polygraph system, and I was just trying to keep my body as even as possible.

he nods his head, and said that he's glad that I told him. He said that he can't pass me on this one, but he'd give a good word to the department I was hiring for; to try to do a retest. Whether he was honest or just trying to get me out the door...i'm not sure. Was this really seen as cheating?? I was just trying not to give any false positives. The fact that I failed the first one made me feel that i'd be pinned a liar...now this will make me be pinned a cheater? Do you guys consider this cheating?

Originally posted by C_Saul View Post
    Good evening everyone. So...this may sound as a strange question, and hopefully I word it correctly. So I took the second polygraph of my life. The first one I took, I was honest but somehow failed. I know thats probably typically the story, but it is what it is.

So i'm taking this second one, and I tell the interviewer (who happens to be a police chief of a different city) everything that happened in the first one. I tell them exactly what the other person said, everything that happened; how I felt about polygraphs. I spend about 40 minutes word vomiting at this person.

So I take the test, and I try to keep my breathing steady, my body still; all the things that I think might've failed me last time. After the test, he says "so whats going on? We need to talk about this" which makes me internally think "there's no way." So he askes me what I looked up about polygraphs. And I told him, that I mainly looked up there success rates. So he goes on to ask what I was doing during the test...which confuses me for a moment. He says that he knows what I was doing, and that I fell for a trap during the test that he set up. So I tell him that I was trying to keep my breathing even, so that my heart beat doesn't fly off the charts. He nods and asks why I did that. I tell him that my first failure made me lose 100% faith in the polygraph system, and I was just trying to keep my body as even as possible.

he nods his head, and said that he's glad that I told him. He said that he can't pass me on this one, but he'd give a good word to the department I was hiring for; to try to do a retest. Whether he was honest or just trying to get me out the door...i'm not sure. Was this really seen as cheating?? I was just trying not to give any false positives. The fact that I failed the first one made me feel that i'd be pinned a liar...now this will make me be pinned a cheater? Do you guys consider this cheating?
    Yep. You tried to beat the box. Shows dishonesty.

Comment

Lying causes stress. Stress causes certain biological fluctuations (changes in heart rate, breathing, etc). The polygraph monitors those biological functions to determine if someone is lying. Now, you said that you attempted to alter your biological functions and "keep your body as even as possible."

Considering the above, does it sound like you tried to cheat?
      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Huh fair enough. I wasn't doing it with the intent to cheat, I was just doing it to try to relax. Before we started, he told me to relax; i'm not blaming him at all, and I realize that its on my how I handled it. So I blame my interpretation of the orders and not clarifying them. Thanks for the answers guys
        Last edited by C_Saul; 05-06-2021, 05:46 AM. Reason: Spelling and info

Comment

The witchcraft and sorcery known as the polygraph is easily beatable.

Comment

That's what i've heard many times. But I feel that I don't have to 'beat' it. Like, if I wanted to I could've bitten my tongue given that I was wearing a mask the entire time. But I figure if I just relax like I was told it'd be fine. The first time I failed one, was due to the 'sexual history' part of the test, which due to reasons should have been completely impossible. Now this...guess just have to move onto the next and hope for better luck.

Comment

An EXPERIENCED polygraph operator is trained & has the ability to detect countermeasures.

You used countermeasures that attempted to change the natural rhythm of your bodys reaction to the questions and got caught.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

So should I not focus on my breathing next time? That's how i've always set myself to relax. Though trying to not focus on my breathing might make me focus on it more. Breathing while stressed is just something i've always practiced, so it just comes

Comment

I understand your challenge, but I also understand why they bounced you.

There are many steps to the vetting process, and sometimes certain steps seem to eliminate applicants for reasons that are more deeply rooted in other steps. For example, if you're that freaked out about the poly, then there may be psych issues that would have eliminated you anyway.

FWIW, I believe that both the poly and the psych are fake science, but I've never had any actual fear of them, and that probably contributed to me passing them.

Fear is an important thing- when we experience a fear reaction in response to things that we should be fearful of, the resulting adrenaline dump increases our strength and speeds up our brain, at the expense of a number of other things. If we do not experience a fear reaction to things that we should be fearful of, then we may not survive that long. But if we experience a fear reaction in response to things that we should not be fearful of, then we would be unable to function normally.
                  Last edited by Aidokea; 05-06-2021, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Oh wow, I super understand your point there. Thank you for the insight, thats something for me to think about if I try to go forward.

Comment

So should I not focus on my breathing next time? That's how i've always set myself to relax. Though trying to not focus on my breathing might make me focus on it more. Breathing while stressed is just something i've always practiced, so it just comes
                      You will always breathe. You are so hyper focused on trying to relax, you can’t. If you are THIS stressed out for such a minor issue, you will not be able to function in the street.

There is a reason all components of a testing program are evaluated. You have some issues that are popping up and it shows. Now you want a bunch of cops to tell you how to “beat the box”.

Nope.

Comment

I definately don't want a bunch of cops to tel me how to beat the box. I actually said that I don't want to beat it in my previous statements? My advice looking was on my breathing. In highschool I took anger management classes, which taught me whenever i'm feeling a thing that might be close to stress to begin controlling my breathing. So I was wondering if that would be a hinderance.

Please try not to put words in my mouth, officer

Though I appreciate the comment on hyperfocusing. I have been known to over think things.
                        Last edited by C_Saul; 05-06-2021, 11:17 AM.

Comment

I definately don't want a bunch of cops to tel me how to beat the box. I actually said that I don't want to beat it in my previous statements? My advice looking was on my breathing. In highschool I took anger management classes, which taught me whenever i'm feeling a thing that might be close to stress to begin controlling my breathing. So I was wondering if that would be a hinderance.

Please try not to put words in my mouth, officer

Though I appreciate the comment on hyperfocusing. I have been known to over think things.
                          Yeah I don't think this line of work is in your future, bud.

Comment

I personally do not like polygraphs. I have never "failed" one, and have taken maybe 5 in my life (all for employment purposes).

If there is a way to beat or cheat the polygraph, then that means they are prone and supsceptible to being wrong, IMO.
                            John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Saluki89 View Post

Yeah I don't think this line of work is in your future, bud.
                              Well, my retest is monday; so we'll see what happens. For those of you who care i'll post how I did here (and before the comments come, yes i'm aware that none of you have any reason to care. I'm just trying to be polite). I respect the view points of experience though.
                              Last edited by C_Saul; 05-06-2021, 12:51 PM. Reason: Spelling (again)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2694 users online. 168 members and 2526 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X