Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chances I’ll be considered for Hiring?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chances I’ll be considered for Hiring?

    Hello everyone, I’m currently serving on Active Duty, and I am looking to enter a Law Enforcement career upon separation. I submitted an application with the local PD in the town my wife and I will be moving to.

    Obviously the application asks for any previous arrests or charges, so I listed that I was arrested when I was 16 for minor theft, and that the charges were expunged. I understand that in some cases, theft can be considered a crime of moral turpitude, and may be disqualifying for an applicant. The department doesn’t have any publicly accessible information regarding what would disqualify an applicant during the hiring process, and the application only mentioned that lying on the application would result in disqualification.

    Other agencies in the area (such as the county sheriff’s office) have more specific guidelines. The sheriff’s office stated specifically that charges such as misdemeanor theft, would be considered if more than 5 years had passed since the offense.

    I feel somewhat confident that I will at least be granted an interview with the agency. I submitted a personal statement detailing the crime I committed, why I did it, and what I learned by making that mistake, as well as how it drove me to make better decisions in my life. I explained how the regret I felt, lead me to joining the Navy, with the goal of making my mother proud, and to learn the values of honor and pride.

    Does anyone have any opinions on what impact this all has on my chances at being offered a position with the department?

    I am considering applying with other agencies, however at this moment, the agency I already applied to, is the only one accepting applications.
    2
    Your chances are fair
    50.00%
    1
    Too hard to tell
    50.00%
    1
    You’re S.O.L.
    0%
    0

  • #2
    Originally posted by homad View Post
    Hello everyone, I’m currently serving on Active Duty, and I am looking to enter a Law Enforcement career upon separation. I submitted an application with the local PD in the town my wife and I will be moving to.

    Obviously the application asks for any previous arrests or charges, so I listed that I was arrested when I was 16 for minor theft, and that the charges were expunged. I understand that in some cases, theft can be considered a crime of moral turpitude, and may be disqualifying for an applicant. The department doesn’t have any publicly accessible information regarding what would disqualify an applicant during the hiring process, and the application only mentioned that lying on the application would result in disqualification.

    Other agencies in the area (such as the county sheriff’s office) have more specific guidelines. The sheriff’s office stated specifically that charges such as misdemeanor theft, would be considered if more than 5 years had passed since the offense.

    I feel somewhat confident that I will at least be granted an interview with the agency. I submitted a personal statement detailing the crime I committed, why I did it, and what I learned by making that mistake, as well as how it drove me to make better decisions in my life. I explained how the regret I felt, lead me to joining the Navy, with the goal of making my mother proud, and to learn the values of honor and pride.

    Does anyone have any opinions on what impact this all has on my chances at being offered a position with the department?

    I am considering applying with other agencies, however at this moment, the agency I already applied to, is the only one accepting applications.
    What were the facts regarding the theft?

    How old are you now?

    What type of separation from the military?

    Comment


    • #3
      I stole a cell phone from where I worked, and was subsequently terminated and charged with minor theft. I plead guilty and my sentence was suspended, then expunged when I turned 18.

      That occurred when I was 16, I’ll be 26 in a month, so it happened 9 almost 10 years ago.

      It’s an Honorable Discharge

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by homad View Post
        I stole a cell phone from where I worked, and was subsequently terminated and charged with minor theft. I plead guilty and my sentence was suspended, then expunged when I turned 18.
        Did you work at a cell phone store, or what? Was it a new phone? What was the retail value of the phone?

        That occurred when I was 16, I’ll be 26 in a month, so it happened 9 almost 10 years ago.
        10 years ago is not as bad as...less years ago...

        It’s an Honorable Discharge
        Good...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

          Did you work at a cell phone store, or what? Was it a new phone? What was the retail value of the phone?
          Yeah I worked at a phone store, as far as specifics, to be honest I don’t remember that much about it. The value was less than $300, otherwise I would have been charged with major theft according to the officers who interviewed me. It haven’t had much luck actually pulling up the record, I spoke with a court clerk in Illinois who told me that with it being expunged I would need to go in person to the district court I was charged at, or that I would need to have the agency conducting the background check provide me with whatever information they get on the background check.

          I remember being concerned when I wanted to join the navy, because they told me that the offense had to be greater than 3 years old, and it wasn’t at the time. However I was able to interview with the Commander for the recruiting district, who approved a waiver for me to join. I’ve never been in any trouble since then, and have the good conduct awards, commendations, and evaluations from my time in the service to show I take my job and my commitments seriously.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by homad View Post

            Yeah I worked at a phone store, as far as specifics, to be honest I don’t remember that much about it. The value was less than $300, otherwise I would have been charged with major theft according to the officers who interviewed me. It haven’t had much luck actually pulling up the record, I spoke with a court clerk in Illinois who told me that with it being expunged I would need to go in person to the district court I was charged at, or that I would need to have the agency conducting the background check provide me with whatever information they get on the background check.

            I remember being concerned when I wanted to join the navy, because they told me that the offense had to be greater than 3 years old, and it wasn’t at the time. However I was able to interview with the Commander for the recruiting district, who approved a waiver for me to join. I’ve never been in any trouble since then, and have the good conduct awards, commendations, and evaluations from my time in the service to show I take my job and my commitments seriously.
            Well, at the very least, you'll be competing against applicants that don't have that in their background, but in and of itself, it's probably not insurmountable...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

              Well, at the very least, you'll be competing against applicants that don't have that in their background, but in and of itself, it's probably not insurmountable...
              Right it’s definitely a blemish on my application.

              I’m hoping that my timing is good here. The department is opening up positions in anticipation of the city expanding over the next few years, but overall it’s a small department, and it would seem their Chief generally decides what flys and what doesn’t. On the plus side, my wife’s family knows the Chief well, so hopefully that will be helpful.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by homad View Post

                Right it’s definitely a blemish on my application.

                I’m hoping that my timing is good here. The department is opening up positions in anticipation of the city expanding over the next few years, but overall it’s a small department, and it would seem their Chief generally decides what flys and what doesn’t. On the plus side, my wife’s family knows the Chief well, so hopefully that will be helpful.
                I wish you the best...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Be honest regarding the circumstances of the arrest during the process...don't try to minimize or deflect. Some departments may pass on you based on it, but it's definitely not the most serious thing I've heard of in an eventually-successful applicant. Any "selling points" and your conduct since then will probably make a significant impact on how heavily the charge is considered.
                  "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                  -Friedrich Nietzsche

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The more time that passes between the conviction, the easier it will be to show that the risk is mitigated. You'll have to explain this and be able to articulate the steps you've taken to avoid re-offending and why you're more mature 10 years later. Might be able to tie it into your military service, which is a big plus. I think you still have a decent chance, but it would behoove you to apply broadly. You might not be considered suitable for hiring by one agency, but another might not care.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by homad View Post
                      Hello everyone, I’m currently serving on Active Duty, and I am looking to enter a Law Enforcement career upon separation. I submitted an application with the local PD in the town my wife and I will be moving to.

                      Obviously the application asks for any previous arrests or charges, so I listed that I was arrested when I was 16 for minor theft, and that the charges were expunged. I understand that in some cases, theft can be considered a crime of moral turpitude, and may be disqualifying for an applicant. The department doesn’t have any publicly accessible information regarding what would disqualify an applicant during the hiring process, and the application only mentioned that lying on the application would result in disqualification.

                      Other agencies in the area (such as the county sheriff’s office) have more specific guidelines. The sheriff’s office stated specifically that charges such as misdemeanor theft, would be considered if more than 5 years had passed since the offense.

                      I feel somewhat confident that I will at least be granted an interview with the agency. I submitted a personal statement detailing the crime I committed, why I did it, and what I learned by making that mistake, as well as how it drove me to make better decisions in my life. I explained how the regret I felt, lead me to joining the Navy, with the goal of making my mother proud, and to learn the values of honor and pride.

                      Does anyone have any opinions on what impact this all has on my chances at being offered a position with the department?

                      I am considering applying with other agencies, however at this moment, the agency I already applied to, is the only one accepting applications.
                      call them on the phone and talk to a real person who might know
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

                        call them on the phone and talk to a real person who might know
                        I spoke briefly with one of the patrol sergeants when I was asking some questions before I applied. I asked about disqualifiers as I couldn’t find any documentation which stated specific requirements or anything, and he said that outside of felony charges, or DV, that it was up to the Chief on what would be considered disqualifying, so I suppose it’s a waiting game now.
                        Last edited by homad; 04-22-2021, 08:58 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling mistake

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I like this guy- he proofreads his stuff and corrects his mistakes, however minor...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by homad View Post

                            I spoke briefly with one of the patrol sergeants when I was asking some questions before I applied. I asked about disqualifiers as I couldn’t find any documentation which stated specific requirements or anything, and he said that outside of felony charges, or DV, that it was up to the Chief on what would be considered disqualifying, so I suppose it’s a waiting game now.
                            Well...................he gave you an answer as to what would be considered and by whom.
                            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                            My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 3371 users online. 218 members and 3153 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X