Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Likelihood of Getting Hired

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Likelihood of Getting Hired

    Good morning,

    To make a long story I’m currently a four year police department civilian employee. My past is a little messed up, I dealt with some mental health issues and during high school asked for help since I was dealing with depressive thoughts. Long story short, the police transported me to the hospital where I stayed for five days before coming out. Since then I’ve gone on to get clearance from taking my meds, got my bachelors and now as stated before am working as a civilian in a department.

    Now I’m approaching my goal of self sponsoring myself through the academy. I know that the spot on my record is a big one, and I’m not defaulting any responsibility. Just the idea of pouring money into an academy and not getting a job in the end is nerve wracking.

    Does any one have any insight on this? Any tips or words would be helpful.

    Appreciate anything shed on this matter.

    stay safe!

  • #2

    ETA: Your previous posts indicate you were in BI with a department. What happened to that?

    Right now it depends on the specific diagnosis problem, the requirements of the state and department you’re applying to and the results of your psych exam. Hiring someone with a history of psych problems opens the department up to liability... but often juvenile problems aren’t seen as automatically disqualifying because kids go thru a lot of chemical and mental issues as a natural part of maturing.

    Five years from now if you have a pulse you’ll be in, so if they say no now just wait a bit.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 03-29-2021, 01:45 AM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

    "With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

    Comment


    • barcelonafan
      barcelonafan commented
      Editing a comment
      That department didn’t pan out, however I have been with another department for about four years now and moved into a few different civilian road positions while I’ve been there. Originally I did speak to our admin about sponsorships, which they seemed inclined to sponsor me but because of budget cuts I haven’t heard anything else.

      I’m in the process of a job with a federal agency and have cleared their medical/ psych evaluation which gave me so hope since Michigan states that “emotional and mental stability can be assessed by a licensed psychologist” so was looking for some extra pointers.

    • barcelonafan
      barcelonafan commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s been about 9 years or so since I’ve had that stay, and since then I’ve had a clean slate. Not sure if that accounts for much, but like I said before I put the time and money in I don’t want to not receive a return investment.

  • #3
    Apply to departments that send cadets to the academy.

    Comment


    • #4
      Originally posted by barcelonafan View Post
      Good morning,

      To make a long story I’m currently a four year police department civilian employee. My past is a little messed up, I dealt with some mental health issues and during high school asked for help since I was dealing with depressive thoughts. Long story short, the police transported me to the hospital where I stayed for five days before coming out. Since then I’ve gone on to get clearance from taking my meds, got my bachelors and now as stated before am working as a civilian in a department.

      Now I’m approaching my goal of self sponsoring myself through the academy. I know that the spot on my record is a big one, and I’m not defaulting any responsibility. Just the idea of pouring money into an academy and not getting a job in the end is nerve wracking.

      Does any one have any insight on this? Any tips or words would be helpful.

      Appreciate anything shed on this matter.

      stay safe!
      That's gonna be a tough one.

      Asking a law enforcement agency to take on the potential liability of hiring someone with a history of mental health problems, especially mental health problems requiring anti-psych medications and being transported by the police for a 5-day stay in a mental health institution, and then giving them guns and sending them out into the public largely unsupervised, is asking a LOT.

      Think about how that would look in the news if you were involved in a questionable use of force and/or harmed yourself using department-issued equipment.

      There's too many other applicants that don't have that baggage.

      I certainly wouldn't recommend that you expend the time and money to put yourself through an academy...
      Last edited by Aidokea; 03-30-2021, 07:16 AM.

      Comment


      • barcelonafan
        barcelonafan commented
        Editing a comment
        I completely understand. Just out of curiosity, does it work in my favor to have been hired by a department for a civilian position and then receive letters of recommendation for the Academy? They know about my background since that came up, from police reports surrounding child abuse and domestic violence at my house, with me being the victim in those.

      • Iowa #1603
        Iowa #1603 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nope Apples vs Oranges

    • #5
      Originally posted by barcelonafan View Post
      Good morning,

      To make a long story I’m currently a four year police department civilian employee. My past is a little messed up, I dealt with some mental health issues and during high school asked for help since I was dealing with depressive thoughts. Long story short, the police transported me to the hospital where I stayed for five days before coming out. Since then I’ve gone on to get clearance from taking my meds, got my bachelors and now as stated before am working as a civilian in a department.

      Now I’m approaching my goal of self sponsoring myself through the academy. I know that the spot on my record is a big one, and I’m not defaulting any responsibility. Just the idea of pouring money into an academy and not getting a job in the end is nerve wracking.

      Does any one have any insight on this? Any tips or words would be helpful.

      Appreciate anything shed on this matter.

      stay safe!
      I agree with just joe . Do NOT self-sponsor.

      IF an agency deems you unhirable due to your history and background, then they're not going to hire you just because you put yourself through an academy.

      No administrator in their right mind is going to say "Well, Barcelonafan seems like a huge liability, but at least we don't have to pay to train him, so let's just roll the dice."

      Comment


      • #6
        Letters mean nothing. It’s just feel good.
        Your psych history will follow you, as it should.
        A civilian is just that: civilian.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

        Comment


        • #7
          There's probably 25 police academies in Michigan and only three are in-house (DPD, MSP, and DNR). The rest are at community colleges, where nearly anyone who can fog a mirror can attend an academy, as long as their $5,995 check passes. It's a huge cash cow for these little colleges, and a nice part-time or retirement gig for cops. I'm not hating on the gravy train; hell, I'd love to have a job that makes $37/hour and doesn't involve driving dope and dope money around (aka what several of my retired pals are doing).

          The low dirty truth is a large percentage (half?) of the graduates never work in LE, or not for very long. Many end up in private security as account managers, making $32K to supervise a group of minimum wage employees with constant attrition and constant discipline issues. It's a job in the truest sense of the word.

          My free advice- go through the hiring process and see what happens. If it's meant to be, it will happen but If not, move on to something else. Don't spend $6K so you can get a job in private security, unless you're cool with that outcome.
          If it is all beautiful you can’t believe it. Things aren’t that way.

          -Ernest Hemingway

          Comment


          • #8
            Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
            There's probably 25 police academies in Michigan and only three are in-house (DPD, MSP, and DNR). The rest are at community colleges, where nearly anyone who can fog a mirror can attend an academy, as long as their $5,995 check passes. It's a huge cash cow for these little colleges, and a nice part-time or retirement gig for cops. I'm not hating on the gravy train; hell, I'd love to have a job that makes $37/hour and doesn't involve driving dope and dope money around (aka what several of my retired pals are doing).

            The low dirty truth is a large percentage (half?) of the graduates never work in LE, or not for very long. Many end up in private security as account managers, making $32K to supervise a group of minimum wage employees with constant attrition and constant discipline issues. It's a job in the truest sense of the word.

            My free advice- go through the hiring process and see what happens. If it's meant to be, it will happen but If not, move on to something else. Don't spend $6K so you can get a job in private security, unless you're cool with that outcome.
            There's significant truth in this. I graduated from a pay-to-play academy 20+ years ago (back when the smallest agencies could get 200 applicants for a test and nobody got hired outside of a major metropolitan PD in my state without certification). As I now creep up on retirement, I'm aware of only one other person in my academy who is still in LE...most never made it past 5 years, assuming they ever got hired at all.
            "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
            -Friedrich Nietzsche

            Comment


            • Ratatatat
              Ratatatat commented
              Editing a comment
              My first academy (1990) was pay-your-way at a community college. Eight weeks long, and cost $800. Everybody passed everything with flying colors, even the guy who could barely put together a complete sentence.

              A couple years ago, I found the class roster buried in some old files. Out of curiosity, I googled the names to see where my classmates ended up. Out of 24, I could only find four who made a career out of it. The rest did something else with their lives, either by choice or by failure.

            • Iowa #1603
              Iowa #1603 commented
              Editing a comment
              I went through a sponsored academy at the state level...........the only kind there is in Iowa.
              Out of 34 in the class I can only find 10 that retired from some form of Law Enforcement

          • #9
            Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
            Letters mean nothing. It’s just feel good.
            Your psych history will follow you, as it should.
            A civilian is just that: civilian.
            A former community service officer with our department is finding this out right now.

            She was an outstanding CSO and did probably 85% of the commissioned job with just a taser on her hip... but is finding out that other 15% that requires the gun is no joke. It isn’t the same job, even the 85% she did before is different now.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

            "With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

            Comment

            MR300x250 Tablet

            Collapse

            What's Going On

            Collapse

            There are currently 6287 users online. 359 members and 5928 guests.

            Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

            Welcome Ad

            Collapse
            Working...
            X