300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview with a BI

If a BI tells you a couple reasons such as age...that you may not be hired, is it best to say "yes sir, ok, I understand" and go along with it or is it better to argue for yourself and say why you think that won't be a problem?

I have the same question. I meet with my BI on Sunday and wouldn't be surprised if I hear the same sort of remark.
    APD

POST- Passed
    ORPAT- Passed
    Oral Board- Passed
    Command Staff Interview- Passed
    Background- Working on it
    Psych- ??
    Physical- ??

Comment

Interview with a BI

Originally posted by BP03 View Post
      If a BI tells you a couple reasons such as age...that you may not be hired, is it best to say "yes sir, ok, I understand" and go along with it or is it better to argue for yourself and say why you think that won't be a problem?
      If you meet an agency's age requirements, I don't see why the BI would ask such a question. Basically, his/her job is to determine whether or not your Background, consisting of multiple factors, qualifies you for employment.

Comment

I would say something along the lines of:

"Audie Murphy was turned away from military service when he applied at 17. He reapplied at 18 and went on to become the most decorated soldier of WW2. It wasn't his age that made the difference, but his character. Age doesn't make a good LEO, character does."

Comment

Originally posted by IlonBlue View Post
          I would say something along the lines of:

"Audie Murphy was turned away from military service when he applied at 17. He reapplied at 18 and went on to become the most decorated soldier of WW2. It wasn't his age that made the difference, but his character. Age doesn't make a good LEO, character does."
          IMHO, this sounds really good. I wouldn't conclude with the "Age doesn't make a good LEO..." line specifically but would make it more generally applicable (so it doesn't sound like you're telling him that you know more about what makes a good LEO than he does). Something like, "Age isn't what always makes a qualified candidate qualified, but I believe more weight should be given to the sum of my integrity and motivation." Doesn't help to throw in another Audie Murphy-like, but non-military example if it is a well known person. Maybe Bill Gates at X age (18-21 or something) when he refused IBM's offer to buy his DOS operating system, but insisted instead on leasing it to them, and thereby concreting his success and that of his company for decades to come.

Anyhow, just random thoughts. Good luck to you!

EDJ
          "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5134 users online. 318 members and 4816 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X