300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old is too old to apply

Sorry if this has been discussed before.. If so could someone please post the link as a reply?

As the subject says I am curious to know at what age (if any) departments not consider you for the application process.

I will be 34 this fall. Reason why I started applying towards my late 20's was the fact I could not meet the uncorrected vision standards of most agencies. So when I had the opportunity to correct my vision through LASIK I did. Which brings me to where I am today.

Also I thought in reading through some departments applications I thought I saw a few lines about them not taking applications from people if they were over a certain age. I am curious to know if that is even legal to do?

I would appreciate anyone's wisdom and insight on this issue I am concerned with.

Thanks.

Had guys in their 50s in arizona go thru the academy. some make it.. some leave on a fire rescue...

Depends on your personal fitness really

if the idea of going toe to toe with a 25 year old does not concern you and you are in shape i dont see your age being a factor, not out here anyways i dont know what the midwest wants since they have many fewer openings then we have.

even at 34 you can retire by 55 /shrug you may need to move away from iowa to get a job though

Comment

Go for it!!

Some departments in this area have an age limit of 36. Some do, some dont. I know of an officer who started when he was 44 at the town next to me. Absolutly go for it. Best real answer youre going to get is from the individual departments you would like to apply with. Call them up, ask to speak to recruiter, and they'll be able to give you a more directed answer. Good luck!

Comment

I entered the police academy at 38 (been in the business world all my life). I survived and am now 39 and 1/3 of the way through "field training". I am having fun. Don't let your age hold you back!

Comment

Thanks all for your replies.. I do appreciate it.

Comment

In Illinois, 35 is typically the upper-limit unless you have prior experience. University Police Departments will often go outside of that, though.
            "The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

Comment

I was 35 years old when I went thru the academy. Had one girl who was 42 at the same time. We teased her about being an old lady. Until we found out that a few years earlier a 73 year old man went thru the academy. Not sure why he did. I've never seen him on the street.
              John 3:16

Comment

I turned 36yo in the academy and never had issues keeping up
                Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Too Old

Some agencies have thirty five, thirty seven as a maximim age at which you can apply. Others are considerably more lenient. As a practical matter, I would suggest that if a person is approaching his/her late thirties, start applying. Agency Retirement Programs are often a consideration in establishing maximum hiring ages. The list goes on. Bottom line. If you're interested in LE, go for it. You can do a lot of research on line that used to take ages doing it by "snail-mail". By all means, apply.

Comment

I'm 34, finished the academy in May and started working as a LEO a couple of weeks after graduation. A lot of it depends on your mental attitude. If this is something you want to do, make sure you express that. I think some of my success was due to the fact I had a good paying job in a very different field that I left to pursue law enforcement. People thought I was nuts but also saw how serious I was. You have maturity going for you (hopefully) and life experience that some of the younger recruits will not have.

Just make sure you are in good shape in the academy and you should have no problems. Good luck!

Comment

You are too old to apply when they bury you 6' under. Until then everything is optional. We have a 70 year old officer on our department. I knew a Texas Ranger that was 71 years old and retired at 72. I would have never challenged him or I would have been 6' under. (Ranger Leo Hickman)
                      Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

Originally posted by Super View Post
                        I'm 34, finished the academy in May and started working as a LEO a couple of weeks after graduation. A lot of it depends on your mental attitude. If this is something you want to do, make sure you express that. I think some of my success was due to the fact I had a good paying job in a very different field that I left to pursue law enforcement. People thought I was nuts but also saw how serious I was. You have maturity going for you (hopefully) and life experience that some of the younger recruits will not have.

Just make sure you are in good shape in the academy and you should have no problems. Good luck!
                        Thanks for your reply Super.. I agree 100% with you on what you said. That is what I feel like is my major asset (life and work experience) when I do go out and apply versus the crowd of men and women who have youth on their side. Drawing upon that does keep me motivated during the whole process.

Comment

I turn 41 on Friday-and I start Academy at the end of June! If it's your dream-go for it!

Comment

There are plenty of 30-40 year olds in our academies. We've even had early 50's. So go for it!

Good Luck!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2483 users online. 166 members and 2317 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X