300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does "processing" mean?

Last edited by ihope; 02-11-2021, 07:44 AM.

It’s still in process. Just wait.

Comment

Before I even start let me say I DO NOT work for Baltimore so I cannot answer specific questions about their process; however I do know something about the process of agencies whom they have consulted and/or modeled their current process after.

1) JUST BE PATIENT - Please don't be the applicant that equates the impression of "desperate for people" to them either cutting corners and/or diminishing standards. If anything the amount of oversight (see Consent Decree) means they are MORE stringent than they were prior. One problem places like Baltimore or other consent decree departments have when trying to process applicants is that they seem to get even more "garbage" than others. For whatever reason there are large numbers of applicants who think that they are willing to overlook problems that DQ'ed them with other agencies. My advice to anyone applying is that "if it was a problem that kept you from getting hired elsewhere then it's probably an issue here, so don't be surprised when you don't pass BG.

2) You are likely in a phase of their process where you are prescreened to see if you are even worth conducting a full BG on. If during that process they find something that would automatically DQ you they don't even bother to do a full BG and just cut you loose. If there are no such issues then they send your file out for a full BG. Remember they are contracting this out and as such likely have budget constraints. With that in mind they are not going to pay a contract investigator to conduct a full investigation on an applicant who will likely (or definitely) not pass BG.

3) As far as the entire process taking 2-3 months I would be very curious to know where you heard that. While I'm sure that it may be the time line for some folks I'm sure that is a "typical" or "best case" scenario.

4) With regard to your references, see number 2. If you are in prescreening and/or they found something in that phase that is a DQ then they will not contact your previous employers or references as a) they can do nothing to negate the DQ and b) There is no need to continue your investigation.

5) Above all quit hounding them for an update, they are not going to tell you. They aren't going to tell you how far along you are, they aren't going to tell you if you are likely to pass, and if you don't pass BG they aren't going to tell you why.

Now my questions for you are these:

1) How many agencies have you applied with and why didn't you make the cut?

2)If you were rejected by multiple agencies because of BG what makes you think Baltimore will take you?

Comment

Originally posted by ihope View Post
        I submitted my background packet to a local agency and got an initial email from my background investigator saying that she would be in contact with me shortly. It's been over a week, I haven't heard anything, so I emailed her and she said that I'm still being "processed" and they would let me know when there was an update. What does that mean? I ask because this particular agency uses a third-party company called Kentech to do the actual background investigation, so I'm not sure what the actual BI even does. But the way the email was worded made it sound like whatever is going on now isn't her call. And before you say "just be patient it takes time", this is Baltimore City PD - their whole process usually takes about 2-3 months to complete the whole thing because they're desperate for people. It's already been about a month. Is this a bad sign? What could they be doing by "processing" me? To my knowledge, none of my references or employment places have been contacted. Thanks for any help.
        Paragraphs dude (or dudette)...paragraphs...

Comment

Probably why it’s still processing...paragraphs...

Comment

I submitted my background packet to a local agency and got an initial email from my background investigator saying that she would be in contact with me shortly. It's been over a week, I haven't heard anything, so I emailed her and she said that I'm still being "processed" and they would let me know when there was an update. What does that mean? I ask because this particular agency uses a third-party company called Kentech to do the actual background investigation, so I'm not sure what the actual BI even does. But the way the email was worded made it sound like whatever is going on now isn't her call. And before you say "just be patient it takes time", this is Baltimore City PD - their whole process usually takes about 2-3 months to complete the whole thing because they're desperate for people. It's already been about a month. Is this a bad sign? What could they be doing by "processing" me? To my knowledge, none of my references or employment places have been contacted. Thanks for any help.
            OMG, you've been waiting for over an entire week? And they farmed backgrounds out to a contractor to expedite things and you're still waiting? Unacceptable! Someone's head need to roll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The department has to sort though all the background packages submitted by many, many candidates, determine who will do them (In house or contract out) divide them up and send them out. Then, each assigned investigator will need the time to go through each packet, painstakingly, one by one. Among other things, he will need to look for errors, omissions, conflicts, whether there are any automatic DQs, whether the applicant has indicated they lack the minimum qualifications for the position, etc. - the list is too long for me to put here. Then he needs start preparing background letters to go out to contacts - neighbors, relatives, employers, coworkers, etc. Then he needs to go over the background package once again and start mapping out all the places he needs to visit in person as part of the investigation and figure out a route that will let him make maxim use of his time and minimize his travels. If he is good at multitasking, he will coordinate his travel plans with multiple applicant investigations and kill several birds with one stone. Only after accomplishing this will he call you for a preliminary screening.

And you think he will accomplish all these tasks for the multiple background packets piled on his desk and get to you in a week?

Dream on gentle snowflake. You've been watching too many cop shows on TV where cases are closed, gone to trial and the offender is sent to prison in 60 minutes.
            Last edited by L-1; 02-10-2021, 10:07 PM.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

That's a great way to make a terrible impression.

And aren't you the same poster who couldn't wait to become a tactical med (despite having neither law enforcement nor medical experience)? Slow your roll!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4700 users online. 316 members and 4384 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X