Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Student Seeking Advice Regarding Past History

Hello!
    I am currently a student studying Criminal Justice and Psychology. I will graduate in May of 2022 with a Bachelor's degree in both and most likely an overall GPA above 3.5. I have a couple of things in my past history that I fear may disqualify me entirely from consideration. In high school, I experimented with a few drugs, specifically, LSD (2 times), Psilocybin (3 times), and frequent marijuana usage. I graduated in 2017 so by the time I apply it will have been 4-5 years since. All of this is in my past and I cannot make excuses for this other than that I was a naive teenager unsure of what my future career would be, which isn't a great excuse. Besides these things, my background is essentially perfectly clean. I've never stolen and only have one speeding ticket from when I was 17. I am wondering if this will entirely disqualify me? I hope that the changes I made over the last few years can help to overlook the mistakes made, however, I recognize that there are consequences to these actions. I realize these are serious issues when it comes to being hired and I am unsure of what I can do to become a more appealing candidate. I've had steady job history, going on 5 years at my current one. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by CRJstudent7 View Post
    Hello!
    I am currently a student studying Criminal Justice and Psychology. I will graduate in May of 2022 with a Bachelor's degree in both and most likely an overall GPA above 3.5. I have a couple of things in my past history that I fear may disqualify me entirely from consideration. In high school, I experimented with a few drugs, specifically, LSD (2 times), Psilocybin (3 times), and frequent marijuana usage. I graduated in 2017 so by the time I apply it will have been 4-5 years since. All of this is in my past and I cannot make excuses for this other than that I was a naive teenager unsure of what my future career would be, which isn't a great excuse. Besides these things, my background is essentially perfectly clean. I've never stolen and only have one speeding ticket from when I was 17. I am wondering if this will entirely disqualify me? I hope that the changes I made over the last few years can help to overlook the mistakes made, however, I recognize that there are consequences to these actions. I realize these are serious issues when it comes to being hired and I am unsure of what I can do to become a more appealing candidate. I've had steady job history, going on 5 years at my current one. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
    Paragraphs, dude...paragraphs...

Comment

LSD and Shrooms are a PDQ at most agencies. Chronic MJ will also be an issue.

Comment

You should be a psychiatrist or psychologist. Law enforcement may not be in your future

Comment

Change your major- a Criminal Justice degree will be of no use to you...

Comment

Hello!
            You asked a similar question 10 months ago..

https://forum.officer.com/forum/publ...rj-psych-major

You were less than candid with us back then despite several members asking you for specifics. The fact that you went back today to delete that post raises some additional concerns regarding your integrity. Also, your recollection seems to have changed from "in high school and early college" to just "in high school". Which is it?

FWIW, at my agency you'd be automatically and permanently disqualified for 1) one-time use of hallucinogens (you're admitting to five times), and 2) more than "experimental" MJ use (you're admitting to frequent use). There is no "cure" for these disqualifiers, so there is no way for you to make yourself a "more appealing candidate".

That being said, there are all sorts of LE agencies with all sorts of different hiring standards, so you might have luck elsewhere.

Comment

Hello!
              I am currently a student studying Criminal Justice and Psychology. I will graduate in May of 2022 with a Bachelor's degree in both and most likely an overall GPA above 3.5. I have a couple of things in my past history that I fear may disqualify me entirely from consideration. In high school, I experimented with a few drugs, specifically, LSD (2 times), Psilocybin (3 times), and frequent marijuana usage. I graduated in 2017 so by the time I apply it will have been 4-5 years since. All of this is in my past and I cannot make excuses for this other than that I was a naive teenager unsure of what my future career would be, which isn't a great excuse. Besides these things, my background is essentially perfectly clean. I've never stolen and only have one speeding an ticket from when I was 17. I am wondering if this will entirely disqualify me? I hope that the changes I made over the last few years can help to overlook the mistakes made, however, I recognize that there are consequences to these actions. I realize these are serious issues when it comes to being hired and I am unsure of what I can do to become a more appealing candidate. I've had steady job history, going on 5 years at my current one. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
              Total and permanent disqualifying behaviors for 99% of the agencies out there.

And you don't want to work for the others
              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Absolutely zero chance

Comment

specifically, LSD (2 times),

LSD use will DQ you for 99.9% of agencies, due to permanent chemical changes it makes in the brain.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Yeah, I don't know of any agency in the U.S. that would be willing to accept the potential liability of hiring anyone with your history of felony drug possession and illegal hallucinogenic/psychotropic drug use...ever...

Comment

I'm not going to say never, but the chances of you ending up at an agency that anyone thinks is credible is about zero. There are a few departments out there whose staff comes from The Island of Misfit Toys, so there is that.

Some non-sworn jobs may be less forgiving, like the folks who do pre-sentence investigations for the court, but I don't know.

Comment

Zero chance with my agency. Zero chance with my previous agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4718 users online. 319 members and 4399 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X