300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed Polygraph...Devastated!

Just had my first poly I was coming from out of state. I dont have to much more money to be flying to a different state, but I really wanted this job. I told these guys every bad thing I have ever done including drugs. My background is super clean Im ex military. The detective was my best friend at first, after the test he left the room came back in yelling I was a liar! Said I lied about how many times Ive done drugs... now I told them how many times I think I have done drugs and Im never gonna change my story because its the truth! This is really horrible I knew I couldn't beat a lie detector thats why I told them everything. Not sure what to do now, I have two other applications processing right now, and I have to tell them I failed a polygraph Im ****ed off.

Did he tell you that you failed? Maybe he was just trying to get you to divulge more information.
    R.I.P. Officer Wayne McLaughlin

Comment

He showed me the graph and said how am I suppose to present this to your BI. Oh ya he also said (after the test) " by the way those breathing techniques you read about dont help you" I was like what are you talking about haha. Im not sure if I failed or what he just said you would have been one of the best canidates for the job, but I have to present this to the BI, so basically I failed.
      Last edited by blackwaterops; 06-05-2007, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Devastated

I feel that I'm missing something here, but don't want to speculate. That won't help you. What happens in most cases involving a "questionable" response, is that the examiner will give you an opportunity to explain the answer. I'm hoping that Detector AZ might pick up on your post, and offer you some more insights into your situation.

Comment

He really didn't explain anything man, he was really cold after the test. I know he is suppose to be friendly at first to get me to relax because its nerv raking to take on of these things for the first time. Especially when you have to get a job! I wanted this more than anything. I basically pleaded with this guy, I wanted to take another one right there. After sittin in my hotel room for awhile Im exausted and I reall feel like goin home and gettin a normal job. It was a pretty bad experience, yellin at me sayin Im lying and to tell the truth about how many time Ive done drugs. I never really kept a journal when I was in high school, but I do have a good idea.

Comment

If he didn't expressly tell you that you failed he may have just been trying screw with your head and see if you would either divulge more information or change your story. I've taken 2 polygraphs and just recently a CVSA (similar to polygraph). Immediately after the CVSA the officer who administered the test asked me how I did. When I told him I was sure I did fine he said it didn't look too good. He also asked how I had done on my previous polygraphs. Again, I told him I passed just fine. He then asked AGAIN how I thought I did on the CVSA and I AGAIN told him just fine. Then he started laughing, told me I passed and said he was just playing mind games with me. I know waiting sucks, but I wouldn't give up on that agency just yet unless they officially DQ you. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Don't get too freaked out...many polygraphers use different techniques to try to get you to divulge information. Some will act like your friend, some will get in your face...it all depends. If the investigator didn't tell you straight out that you failed, I would hold out for an actual rejection notice/letter. Just relax and realize it isn't the end of the world if you do fail, and if you didn't fail, just think how much you over-reacted. My advice is to wait for official word of how you fared before you get all bent out of shape. Good luck to you
              I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

That sounds straight out of the Houston Police Department handbook. When I took the polygraph there I had never failed one. The dude left the room and came back in yelling at me that I was lying. That I had tried Marijuana when in fact I have never tried that drug in my life. He kept pushing and telling me I was a liar and I had wasted his time. I politely told him that either he didn't know how to read the machine or that his machine was messed up as I had not ever tried MJ and wasn't going to sit there and tell him I had because he was calling me a liar.

I think this is how they are testing you to see if you come clean with new info so that they CAN flunk you out.

Let us know how it turns out.
                Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Thank you everyone I guess Ill just roll with the punches. When I look back at that moment when he left an reentered the room like a maniac I have to laugh. Im not knocking how they conduct business just kinda funny. Anyhow thanks for the replies I wish to never take one of dreadful tests ever again. Like Ford123 put it " If I ever have to take another polygraph again I will thrust my middle finger in the air and tell em to eat it!" haha just playin.
                  Last edited by blackwaterops; 06-05-2007, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Well, just like many other facets of the application process and training (if hired) the polygraph isn't pleasant. Many of the faint of heart and those who don't really want the job are winnowed out during the application process and then the academy. You have to really want the job If you want it, don't give up and don't let it get to you. Good luck!
                    I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

Don't sweat it bro, I failed one in Florida too, but I'm convinced the examiner was a wack-o. He did the same thing to me. I went out-of-state to Carolina, and love it here. The way I see it, that dept in Florida lost out on a good Officer, probably so did the one you tested at. Drive on and don't worry.
                      -Battleax

Comment

Definately do not sweat the poly! Just keep getting applications in while you wait for a response from your #1 choice and see what happens! Good Luck!
                        The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Comment

Blackwaterops. PM sent

Comment

blackwaterops,

I'm not sure what happened to you. Your second post mentioned "Breathing Techniques" taught on the internet don't work. It would sound like the examiner thought you were attempting to use countermeasures on the examination. I would discuss this with the BI and ask for a retest with a different examiner. The hollering and yelling is not normal conduct for a polygraph examiner. Let us know what happens. You can also PM me and let me know what has happened.

Wish you best of luck and I offer my apolagazies for this happening.
                            Last edited by DetectorAz; 06-06-2007, 03:17 AM. Reason: add text
                            Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

The hollering and yelling is not normal conduct for an examiner? Mine was very very very rude and actually ******ed off (see Integrity Doesnt Pay). Mine told me that I lied and showed deception on EVERY question and answer. EVERY is the key word as I questioned his term EVERY and he confirmed. He yelled at me and told me to sit in the corner with a pen and paper and write down everything that I was ashamed of. He told me to write down every date for which I had smoked mj. He told me not to move until I was done. Like I was his kid in "time-out" or something.
                              The friend-to-angry-to-yelling is a common practice. Once finished, he removed the equipment and like a light switch, he reverted back to friendly SA Examer Guy and wished me good luck with the rest of the process. It's a test and he followed the script. I look forward to taking the next one. When I pass, I'm really going to be mad that I missed a shot with a great agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2591 users online. 172 members and 2419 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X