300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Questions

My primary concern is: Is there any weight given to your family history as a whole?

I ask because my older brothers have extensive histories of problems with the law. My oldest brother (24) is currently in prison for Burglary and a number of other charges. My next oldest brother (21) has been in an out of jail for a number of drug convictions.

I was always coined as the "good" kid in the family. My 24-year-old brother barely finished high school and my 21-year-old brother dropped out. Not only did I graduate high school, I'm the first in my family to attend college.

My juvenile record was spotless, but I regret to say I made two mistakes last year (I was 19 then, I'm 20 now).

I worked a local convenience store and last March I was working alone during an evening shift. A rush of customers came in and I made the mistake of not carding someone who purchased a pack of cigarettes.

Unfortunately, this was a compliance check and an officer came into the store and issued me a citation. It was extremely embarrassing, because he had to literally wait for me to sign the ticket while I finished ringing the 15-20 some customers that were still in the store. I had no manager available at the time in the store, I was completely alone.

At any rate, I called my manager's cellphone to inform her of what happened, as well as a coworker to cover the shift. I quit right on the spot.

The end result was I was fined for Sale of Tobacco to a Minor. I paid the fine and that was the end of it.

Later that summer a friend of mine had gotten me a job at a department store in New Jersey (I live in Pennsylvania, so it was about an hour drive). I was having difficulty finding work, so I was happy for the opportunity.

One morning I was assigned to unload freight before the store opened. Unfortunately I was behind and I was rushing to make it. An officer pulled me over about a block away from work and issued me a ticket for speeding.

I resolved the ticket a few months later and it was reduced to a Careless Driving Charge. I paid a fine and that was the end of that.

--

If any LEO could offer their opinions, do you believe these mistakes will hurt me? Also, would seeking expungements help any? (I'm not sure if I would qualify or not, just a thought).

Would these mistakes harm my chances of being employed with local or State Police? Or a federal agency, such as the FBI?

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers help.

The issue with your brothers being in trouble with the law isn't your issue. You can't choose your family. However, be careful how you associate with them (even though they're your brothers). Gathering at Christmas when they're out of jail wouldn't be totally frowned upon, but hanging out with them and their friends would be a DQ issue.

The issue with your selling to a minor is a problem if it's a misdemeanor in your state. If it is then you'd probably need some distance between the offense and your application.

The speeding ticket shouldn't be a problem as long as your driving history is relatively clean.

I don't know the rest of your background, but the issues your mentioned aren't big DQ problems. I'm just not sure about the citation in your state is all.
    Last edited by LA_Backgrounds; 06-04-2007, 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling
    Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
    http://www.policebackground.net
    Facebook page: The Police Applicant Group (North America)

Comment

Originally posted by LA_Backgrounds View Post
      The issue with your brothers being in trouble with the law isn't your issue. You can't choose your family. However, be careful how you associate with them (even though they're your brothers). Gathering at Christmas when they're out of jail wouldn't be totally frowned upon, but hanging out with them and their friends would be a DQ issue.

The issue with your selling to a minor is a problem if it's a misdemeanor in your state. If it is then you'd probably need some distance between the offense and your application.

The speeding ticket shouldn't be a problem as long as your driving history is relatively clean.

I don't know the rest of your background, but the issues your mentioned aren't big DQ problems. I'm just not sure about the citation in your state is all.
      I agree with LA Backgrounds. He does this for a living. I think the key thing to remember is "full/complete disclosure". Different agencies might put a varying emphasis on the Sale to Minors charge, considering the circumstances. Be completely honest concerning the situation.

Comment

As always, PhilipCal busts out a super response! Just make sure to tell everything in your background and if my experiences have any justification you should hear from your BI about any additional questions they may have while the investigation is progressing. Good luck!
        The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2553 users online. 164 members and 2389 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X