300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Majors/Minors for Getting Hired In Federal Law Enforcement

I am currently a college sophomore getting my bachelor's degree in Homeland Security with a minor in Criminal Justice. I would like to eventually work for ICE HSI after graduation. I do not have military experience. Super clean background, tons of volunteer work, very experienced with firearms, and I currently work in the banking industry. I am looking for other things to add to my resume. I was told that adding another minor could help with this. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could minor in that would be beneficial to a law enforcement career? Any suggestions on what I could do to further add to my resume?

Journalism or literature. Writing effectively and accurately will put you head and shoulders above most of the college graduates applying these days. It's a skill you'll use your entire career.
    183 FBINA

Comment

Accounting and to a lesser extent finance. Your banking experience will be helpful.

Comment

A language skill couldn’t hurt.
        “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
        DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

Originally posted by Exbpa340 View Post
          A language skill couldn’t hurt.
          Do you have a particular language you'd recommend? In order to get my degree I have to be proficient in Spanish so I'd really consider a language other than spanish but I'd want it to be one that I would use.

Comment

I will quote the instructor who taught me during Parole training who was a former cop. "Get experience, then apply to the Feds because they are always hiring". The two who are in the federal system that posted already in your thread will tell you that your experience is going to weigh much more heavily than your education.

Comment

If your goal is HSI then there is a very high likelihood of being stationed on or near the South Western Border. A very strong foundation in Spanish would be beneficial plus there is the chance to earn additional pay for that skill. Trying to learn 2 languages in the last couple years in college would probably result in not learning either very well.
              “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

Comment

• Levithane
                Levithane commented
                Editing a comment
                Isn't the SWB assignment going to go for every agency across the board? Just asking because I signed a mobility agreement not long ago, knowing full well theres a chance Id be living in trailer/mobile home for 2-5 years if offered the job in that particular location.

Whatever you like.

Comment

If for whatever reason you are not able to get hired, how useful is a degree in Homeland Security with a minor in Criminal Justice going to be in the private sector? Zero.

If you're going to get a college degree, get it in something that is useful, just in case you can't get hired...

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
                  If for whatever reason you are not able to get hired, how useful is a degree in Homeland Security with a minor in Criminal Justice going to be in the private sector? Zero.

If you're going to get a college degree, get it in something that is useful, just in case you can't get hired...
                  I had this same conversation with my eldest son. At the end of the day he still pursued a CJ degree earning both an AS and BS in CJ. It would have been a better decision to get it in something else but the most important thing was for him to graduate and it kept his interest over his college years. It ended up working out for him as he started with my agency last year after doing a short stint in a different federal LEA..

Comment

Spanish is the language that you will most likely use. If you want another minor, I'd go with that.

Comment

Get a degree in what you find interesting because the truth is... it doesn't matter what your major is.

Hypothetical SAC office of 100 agents:

Half will have CJ degrees.

Half will have degrees in whatever... history, sociology, business, 17th century British Literature...

Some will have masters degrees and a couple will have law degrees.

And a handful never went to college but graduated from the University of Hard Knocks (military, PDs, etc.)

NO ONE will care or ask what your major or minor was or about your GPA. Only assessment: do you have the fundamental skills to be effective (critical thinking, ability to communicate, ability to make determinations, ability to analyze facts and information).

Here's an idea: get a minor in art history. Study the works of Monet, Picasso, Van Gogh, Cezanne, and Norman Rockwell. You'll be the office SME when it comes to Stolen Cultural Property investigations.
                      Instinct is something which transcends knowledge.

-Nikola Tesla

Comment

Gender studies.
                        Last edited by Saluki89; 01-05-2021, 02:45 PM.

Comment

There are a lot of private sector jobs that don't care what your degree is in, they just want a degree.

I worked as a DBA for years on a CJ degree.

I always advise people to study what they are interested in, so the grades will be good.
                          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by Saluki89 View Post
                            Gender studies.
                            Lol- I said something USEFUL. Now some college is going to brainwash him into not knowing which bathroom to use...
                            Last edited by Aidokea; 01-06-2021, 08:25 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4329 users online. 228 members and 4101 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X