300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Marine needs some advice

I have a bit of a situation and I wanted to find out what a few of you in the Law Enforcement field think. I am a former Marine Sergeant with ten years of honorable service, active and reserve, under my belt. Six months of that is combat in Iraq. I was honorably discharged from the reserve in 2006. My problem is that I received a psych DQ from the NYPD, also in 2006. After leaving active duty in 1998, I had some trouble adjusting to civilian life and floated around for a couple of years so I spoke to someone at the hospital employee assistance program where my mother worked at . As part of this program I was required to consult with a psychiatrist, who prescribed me a weeks worth of anti-depressant, which I took, and recommended I speak with a social worker, just to blow off some steam. All of this was completely voluntary; at no time was I required to proceed with this. I spoke with this counselor once a week for about three months until I started feeling like myself again, then discontinued the counseling with the counselors blessing. I then started college again before returning to active duty in the Corps after 9/11. Now, I'm not much of a scholar but I assume this situation of mine had a lot to do with my being DQ'd. Aside from this and having 2 short periods of unemployment I have nothing in my record, not so much as a traffic ticket, that I believe would be a DQ condition.

Now, finally, to my question. I'm applying to two other departments and I'm wondering if I should just keep my mouth shut about this and about the NYPD DQ. I know because of HIPPAA laws this info is protected and that nobody can look at it without my say-so, but my instinct is to be honest. At the same time, I want nothing but a career in law enforcement and I don't want to hurt my chances by talking too much like I did with the NYPD. Anybody got any advice on how to proceed? Thanks in advance.

Need Advice

I feel you need to mention the NYPD DQ. Reason is, the agency you're now applying to will probably find out. If you haven't disclosed the DQ, they'll wonder why. It's hard for me to pass on the merits/demerits of your post, except to say, keep applying. NYPD's loss could very well be another agency's gain. Good Luck-Semper Fi.

Comment

Agreed

I concur. I have a tough time believing a BI wouldn't be able to dig up the DQ. However, I know for certain no law enforcement anywhere can get a hold of protected medical or psychoogical info unless a crime is involved. Hell, the psychologist who interviewed me had to give me a release form to sign before he could get a hold of it. This leads me to think if I don't mention it it won't come up. But if I mention the DQ, I'll have to explain myself. It's a pickle. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it.

Comment

Your application to NYPD will show up on your credit report under pre-employment inquiries. Any agency you apply to will see you've applied at NYPD. So, not disclosing the NYPD application won't work. Although no agency can delve into your medical history, NYPD will disclose the nature of the DQ being psych.

The med or psych is not a part of the BG, but it is a part of the hiring process. Once you receive a CJO and submit to another psych, the doctors can request your medical records. That information is never divulged to anyone other than psych, but the DQ is available during the BI.

The other issue is whether you'll be honest during the hiring process. Anything other than disclosing the truth to those who are privy to certain information (such a doctors or psych) would indicate that you would hedge on being honest in the process.

(This is the information I've be given and welcome anyone with correction if needed, except for the honesty and credit history part. )
        Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
        http://www.policebackground.net
        Facebook page: The Police Applicant Group (North America)

Comment

agreed 2

Thanks for the info. I agree and if my initial post sounded like I was asking anyone for an endorsement on lying to a psychologist, that's not how I intended it. As I said, I am inclined to be truthful about the whole thing. Which brings me to another question: Is this an automatic disqualifier? Should I even bother with trying to become a cop or find something else?

Comment

Noooooooooooooo...just because one psych said you should be a DQ doesn't mean you'll be DQ'd somewhere else. Pursue your dream of being a police officer until you decide it's not for you. Never let anyone one else make that decision for you. Show them they were wrong about you.
            Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
            http://www.policebackground.net
            Facebook page: The Police Applicant Group (North America)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6159 users online. 332 members and 5827 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X