300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does regular federal government time transfer into 6c

Does it transfer over as time served or can you buy it back like the military or neither?

Thanks

It probably depends on the specific retirement system you're going into, but it's unlikely. Most retirement systems only permit limited, if any, transfer from other state retirement systems, so I suspect that the same goes for federal.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

It doesn't transfer in the sense it doesn't add to the 20 years 6c required, but it is factored in your overall retirement. You still have to put in 20 in a covered position to get the enhanced retirement. It's just counted as any years you would put in more than 20 in a covered position.

I have about 4.5 years FERS in a non covered position that adds to the time I will put in with my LE position. On top of that I am buying in my military time which doesn't count toward retirement eligiblity but factors into my FERS defined benefit annuity. So I'll retire with about 28-29 years federal time and an annuity factor of about 42-43%. 20 special = 34 % + 8-9 years regular FERS and eligible mil time = 8-9%.

You could still do like 10 years regular FERS, get in a covered position intending to do 20 more, do another 15 and bail then you would have 25 years creditable service but you wouldn't be able to retire till your regular FERS retirement age and none of you 1.7x factor counts even though you pay in the higher out toward that retirement. Not sure if that would be refunded in the event you didn't put in the full 20.

Comment

The fed LE retirement system really fries my brains.

Comment

Non-6c time only counts towards annual leave markers and the start date on your retirement plaque.

The fed LE retirement system really fries my brains.
          It really is an enigma wrapped in a mystery cloaked in a fog that only the government could've created...

BUT-- it's actually improved over the past 25 years. There used to be numerous fed LE job series that weren't 6c and there's tens of thousands of retirees who wore a gun and badge everyday but worked for Customs, US Mint, GSA, NPS, FWS, on and on who didn't get to retire at age 50 while nearly identical positions in other agencies did. The non-6c list is much shorter these days, but there are still plenty of people out there getting the shaft. No legitimate reason... inequity is simply how the G rolls.

No one likes change but a wet baby.

Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks for the info. Guess I have to do all 20. Yea!
            Can't be a beach bum until later.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4487 users online. 304 members and 4183 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X