300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight/Size question

First off I want to say that all you LEO's do an amazing job and that I have the utmost respect for you and what you do, which is why I want to become a LEO as well.

I currently am working through the application process with the Colorado State Patrol and have had this question in the back of my mind for a while now.

Most of the threads I've seen about this topic are from people fearing that they are too big for the job. I'm having the exact opposite problem. I'm 23 years old but only stand at 5ft 8 and 145-150 lbs. I've been a distance runner since high school and have always taken pride in my sub 18 minute 5K times, but now that I have chosen LE as the path I want to take I am wondering if I am physically big enough for the job. I have always felt its the size of the fight in the dog, not the dog in the fight and I'm currently on a strict workout regimen, trying to bulk up, but most of the LEO I see around have at least a good 3 or 4 inches and 30-50 lbs on me.

Will being more oriented towards stamina instead of strength hurt my chances at becoming a LEO?

Also, how much does size and physicality come into play in your everyday role as a LEO?

Your size will not hinder you in the application process.

Personally I would prefer to have a partner with stamina than size and strength. Most of the people I wrestle around with are not beligerent drunks but emotionally disturbed persons who require a gentler touch, but stuggle with you for longer...

I personally run 20-30 miles a week, but I am 6' and 200Ilbs...

Comment

"The bigger they are the harder they fall" is a saying from the OLD DAYS, but in reality, the smaller officers are quicker, and do just as good as the BIG OFFICERS.

How you use what you have is the key to controlling situations that require physical confrontation. Also use your mind more than your body to control situations that may become confrontational. Most of the time you will win.

Just an opinion from another "small" officer with a bit of experience.
      Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

Dont put on to much weight. Having a cop that can run 3 or so miles in 18 minutes is great.

There are plenty of cops who can help you clean what you catch and the tool youll be carrying with you will add 30 pounds of muscle. A taser will turn a 300 lbs man into a bigger bowl of jelly than he already is, pepper spray will blind and run a muscle head out of gas in a matter of minutes and if all else fail youll have you service weapon given a valid reason to use it.

Put on 15 pounds of muscle and enjoy your career, granted you can get the job.
        It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Originally posted by run151 View Post
          First off I want to say that all you LEO's do an amazing job and that I have the utmost respect for you and what you do, which is why I want to become a LEO as well.

I currently am working through the application process with the Colorado State Patrol and have had this question in the back of my mind for a while now.

Most of the threads I've seen about this topic are from people fearing that they are too big for the job. I'm having the exact opposite problem. I'm 23 years old but only stand at 5ft 8 and 145-150 lbs. I've been a distance runner since high school and have always taken pride in my sub 18 minute 5K times, but now that I have chosen LE as the path I want to take I am wondering if I am physically big enough for the job. I have always felt its the size of the fight in the dog, not the dog in the fight and I'm currently on a strict workout regimen, trying to bulk up, but most of the LEO I see around have at least a good 3 or 4 inches and 30-50 lbs on me.

Will being more oriented towards stamina instead of strength hurt my chances at becoming a LEO?

Also, how much does size and physicality come into play in your everyday role as a LEO?
          Can only concur with the replies you've recieved already. Good luck.

Comment

I had the same question as you being 5'9 and 150lbs. Through my observance and research it seems like size does not hinder you at all. I was on a ride along with my father a few weeks ago and I asked him this question. He told me the experienced officers love to have a smaller guy around who wants to run. He told me about a time when he was an FTO for a guy smaller than me, about 5'7 140lbs. He said it was nice to just be able to say, "Okay, go get em, we'll all be there in a bit." I responded with a, "Kind of like your own dog huh?" He replied with, "Yep, he chased a dog all over the place one night." Point being, it really won't hurt you, with all the tools you get and tricks you learn, you don't have to be a big guy. Being my stature would worry me a little more if I were to become a trooper of sheriff though, around here you don't have much help unless you're near a city and can use them for backup.
            APD

POST- Passed
            ORPAT- Passed
            Oral Board- Passed
            Command Staff Interview- Passed
            Background- Working on it
            Psych- ??
            Physical- ??

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3712 users online. 217 members and 3495 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X