300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accepted into Police Academy

I was recently accepted into a police academy in pittsburgh and was wondering if there is a way to get departmental sponsorship to pay for it. Would it be appropriate to just call around different departments and ask if they have a program like that, or is there another way I should go about this? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
    ~Keith
    "The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible."
    Arthur C. Clarke

Police Academy

Originally posted by pittman169 View Post
    I was recently accepted into a police academy in pittsburgh and was wondering if there is a way to get departmental sponsorship to pay for it. Would it be appropriate to just call around different departments and ask if they have a program like that, or is there another way I should go about this? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
    ~Keith
    Keith, on the theory that the worst thing a department can say is "no",call around. You're probably not going to get any takers, but then, I've been wrong before. What you're doing is essentially, self sponsoring. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's pretty much a crap shoot. What I mean is this. You complete the Academy. You get a POST Certificate. What you don't get is a guarantee of a job. Where the self-sponsorship might come in handy is when you apply to an agency, and you're already certified. Good luck.

Comment

and you'll probably have to go through the whole application process which will take time.

Comment

Question: I thought once you completed an academy, that was it, you were in with that department. So what am I missing here, how does it really work?

Comment

Well it depends on if you get hired by a department. I am in a private academy. and once you are finished, you are on your own to find a job. I believe the academy Im at does placement, but we shall see
          "The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible."
          Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Accepted into Police Academy

Originally posted by centralTMC View Post
            Question: I thought once you completed an academy, that was it, you were in with that department. So what am I missing here, how does it really work?
            Well, not always. Let me expand on Keith's situation a little. What he is doing is essentially self sponsoring. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's a throw of the dice. You may, or may not be picked up by a department. Now to your thought. Let's say you self-sponsor,and get hired by an agency. You later apply for, and are accepted by the State Police. You will attend the Academy again. The State Police Academy. Why? Because they require it. The major difference here is that in this case, you'll be paid to attend the Academy, and have a job waiting when you graduate. That's all provided you successfully complete the Academy. The same scenario will apply in the case of many large city/county agencies. The reason is, they simply want recruits to attend "their: academies.

Comment

I recently had a co-worker put himself through an academy in northern califonia who didn't get picked up by an agency, He was very discouraged and said that many did not get picked up, now he is out over 3 grand. I have recently been going through the hiring process with a sheriff's dept. and only have medical and psyc. testing which are coming up this weekend. If I get through that and the poly they will put me through their academy. I think this would be the way to go because they have already invested in you during the hiring process, that way you have assurance that you have a job at the end of the academy and money in your pocket. I know there are many departments who are hiring for trainee's... just something you might want to look into.
              My flesh and my heart fail... but God is the strength of my life and my portion forever!

Comment

Well I decided to attend a different academy at an accredited university so that I can get student financial aid. So I suggest that those of you looking for a good academy, to go search community colleges and the such. Its just alot less hassle since you can get a loan that you wont have to worry about paying until you get out.
                Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

and smaller agencies might like at people who are academy trained to save money...however the best way is to get sponsored, get paid, have benefits, and get that badge on graduation. and usually some agencies go to the academy to try and recruit...and you can usually skip the written and physical...

I did self sponsored... and yes it's expensive .. in CA, your post certificate is good for 3 years and then you have to re-cert.. i met lots of people who could not get picked up.. i don't know why.. most people think if they go self-sponsored it'll be easier to get picked up.. not true.. i was lucky to get hired halfway through my academy. I got paid, sponsored, etc... so lucky me. so did like 5 others in my class of 20

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6150 users online. 344 members and 5806 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X