300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditional Offer

I apologize if this has been covered before, but I have spent the last hour searching google and officer.com without answering my exact question.

Are the chances vey high that a Conditional Offer of Employment (COE) will turn into a Final Offer if the conditions are passed? In my case it is the 2nd level psych eval and medical/drug check.
    What comes to mind is, I would imagine that if there are say 10 open positions that the Dept wouldn't only send out 10 COEs.
    So what happens if to cover their bases, the Dept sends out 15 COEs, and all 15 people pass the 2nd level psych and Med/Drug test?
    How are the 10 candidates chosen? Or do they only send out 10 COEs, with time to send out more if a candidate is dropped?

Thank you

A conditional offer is a bona fide offer of employment, provided you do whatever they require of you. This usually involves passing the background, medical and psych. Whether you are able to do so is beyond the abilities of our crystal balls.

If there are 10 openings, 10 conditional offers will be sent out. If they send out 15 and all 15 pass, they will be in the position of having to employ 15 people when they have only been budgeted for 10. That won't work. Understand that working for the government is not like at the gas station. Each agency is budgeted to employ a fixed number of people. You can't hire a new employee until an old one leaves. Even when the old one leaves, you still have to pay off all their unused vacation and certain other leave credits. Only when they have been paid off out of the budget may you hire a replacement employee.

If of the 10, only 8 pass, they will send out two more offers to the next folks on the list.

As to how folks are chosen, you are scored on how well you do on your written and oral exams. In most civil service agencies, people are hired in the order of their scores - highest first, next highest second, etc. In my state we have something called the Rule of Three, which allows the hiring agency to fill a vacancy taking anyone in the highest three scores. This allows them to fill a vacancy taking anyone in ranks 1, 2 or 3. Some agencies in other states have a Rule of 5 or a Rule of 10. This will vary depending on local or state law. In any case, they will hire by going down the list in numerical order until the list is exhausted.

It would be a great help to your mental well being if you took the time to learn the civil service hiring rules for your locality. Knowing how the game is played lowers your stress levels and lets you navigate the ins and outs of the testing process.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

A conditional offer is a qualified offer. Satisfy the conditions, and an offer will be made.

Comment

Thank you both for your time and answers.

Comment

A conditional offer is kind of like getting engaged. They ask you if you want to get married and if you say yes then they move on preparing for the marriage. But at any time if something comes up you both can call off the marriage. If you say no then they go to the next girl they're dating.
          183 FBINA

Comment

• L-1
            L-1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Kind of like sex?

Chances are Midnight Garage is THE ONE tho right ISPCAPT ?! Haha. Good way to put it. You're in a good spot OP if you satisfy the rest of those conditions. Good luck.

Comment

the chances vey high that a Conditional Offer of Employment (COE) will turn into a Final Offer if the conditions are passed?]
            By definition a conditional offer must become a final offer if the conditions are met.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by Former12
              A conditional offer in my neck of woods is sent out to everyone because in order to be polygraphed you have to have a signed conditional offer on file. So basically some departments will have you sign it just so they can polygraph you, not because they actually intend on hiring you. This seems strange but even hiring agencies bend the rules a bit.
              That would be grounds for both an arrest warrant and a lawsuit if it could ever be proven that a department was issuing conditional offers with no intent of hiring. Acquiring people ‘s medical info fraudulently is a crime.

However, a conditional offer isn’t required to give a poly. That isn’t a medical or psychological exam.
              Last edited by tanksoldier; 12-06-2020, 06:07 PM.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• Aidokea
                Aidokea commented
                Editing a comment
                Former 12 isn't a cop, so he shouldn't even be posting in this section. I suspect that's what he was banned for.

• Aidokea
                Aidokea commented
                Editing a comment
                Problem solved...again...

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6691 users online. 351 members and 6340 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X