300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Command Staff Interview?

I have a Command Staff Interview on Monday. How does this compare to what you experience during the Oral Boards? What type of questions are common? This is my first time going through the process so I am not quite sure what to expect. If you've gone through one, or if you have sat on one, please give me an idea.
    APD

POST- Passed
    ORPAT- Passed
    Oral Board- Passed
    Command Staff Interview- Passed
    Background- Working on it
    Psych- ??
    Physical- ??

Command Staff Interview

Originally posted by mpitcher View Post
    I have a Command Staff Interview on Monday. How does this compare to what you experience during the Oral Boards? What type of questions are common? This is my first time going through the process so I am not quite sure what to expect. If you've gone through one, or if you have sat on one, please give me an idea.
    Obviously, I can't address your question specifically. In general, a Command Staff interview will be much the same as an Oral Board. Like an Oral Board, it will serve two essential purposes. Provide you with an opportunity to sell yourself to the Department. Give the Department an opportunity to take a look at you. You will want to put your best foot forward. That means suit and tie, clean shaven, neat haircut, shoes shined, nails trimmed and clean. You'll probably be asked why you're interested in being a Police Officer. What are your most positive traits?, and the list goes on. Answer confidently, but not arrogantly. Look you questioner in the eye, and when you reply, make eye contact with each member of the board. Good luck.

Comment

In the oral board I almost felt like the "arrogantly" part got me. Two of the questions, "What would you rate your spelling" and "What experience do you have with computers?" made me feel slightly like an *** afterwards. Thinking about it I thought my answers of, "10. That is if I'm rating it on a scale of 1-10," and "I've had a lot of experience with computers and there really isn't much I can't do. I've built computers from scratch, can format computers and form partitions, and I have worked with most common programs," made me come off slightly arrogantly.

Thank you for your help.
      APD

POST- Passed
      ORPAT- Passed
      Oral Board- Passed
      Psych- ??
      Physical- ??

Comment

Command Staff

Originally posted by mpitcher View Post
        In the oral board I almost felt like the "arrogantly" part got me. Two of the questions, "What would you rate your spelling" and "What experience do you have with computers?" made me feel slightly like an *** afterwards. Thinking about it I thought my answers of, "10. That is if I'm rating it on a scale of 1-10," and "I've had a lot of experience with computers and there really isn't much I can't do. I've built computers from scratch, can format computers and form partitions, and I have worked with most common programs," made me come off slightly arrogantly.

Thank you for your help.
        Have you ever heard Nolan Ryan quote Dizzy Dean? It's the Olsham building commercial. Dizzy Dean did say this, back in the 1930's. "It ain't braggin if you can do it". So, if you can build computers from scratch, saying you're good at computers, ain't braggin. The trick is to appear confident, not arrogant. Let us know how you do. Good luck.

Comment

Well I had the command staff interview today. It was almost identical to the oral board, nearly the same questions. When I left I felt like it went better than the oral board. About an hour later I received a call from the Chiefs secretary asking if I'd like to move on to the background check phase, "Yes, absolutely." So now I'm working on the background packet. Woohoo! Thanks for your help!
          APD

POST- Passed
          ORPAT- Passed
          Oral Board- Passed
          Psych- ??
          Physical- ??

Comment

When I was hired in the 70's, the last step was a "chief's interview", which became a Command Staff interview. I walked in thinking it was gonna be a, "Welcome aboard, son. Nice to have you", kind of thing. After all, EVERYTHING else was done. The only thing I didn't have was my badge and ID. Wrong-o.. They actually asked me QUESTIONS! I was totally unprepared and thought I'd completely blown it. About an hour later I got a call saying I started the academy the following Monday. Point is, you can never relax.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5554 users online. 347 members and 5207 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X