300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Carolina Law Enforcement

Whats up brothers/sisters, Married with two kids making the move to have a better life for my wife and children.. 12 years OTJ with FD, Emergency Management

Took my first ever polygraph for a South Carolina LE department and I failed the drug question. I dont do drugs and never been around anyone who uses. I passed all the remaining questions like being truthful on application and passed the question for not being deceptive on any of the questions

I believe I failed the test because I live in NYC and not in South Carolina. Are agencies biased towards out of state applicants? Is this North and South Rivalry still going on as I got called a yankee by the Detective?

Stay safe all

You don’t fail a polygraph.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• 276k-1under
      276k-1under commented
      Editing a comment
      ummm lolol they said I did, and I haven't even received any DQ letters in mail.

• tanksoldier
      tanksoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL yourself. You don’t fail a poly. Sometimes the operator tells you that you failed to see what you say. You’d be amazed how many spontaneous confessions of untruthfulness they get. You don’t fail a poly, even if the operator thinks you’re lying thru your teeth the result goes up and is considered with everything else. There’s a reason ploy results aren’t allowed in court. LOL that.
      Last edited by tanksoldier; 10-15-2020, 12:02 AM.

Yes. Obviously biased. You should sue.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by 276k-1under View Post
      I believe I failed the test because I live in NYC and not in South Carolina. Are agencies biased towards out of state applicants? Is this North and South Rivalry still going on as I got called a yankee by the Detective?
      Or maybe you showed deception on the poly...

I'm from Ohio and interviewed at an agency in SC in my younger years...I had an offer on my voicemail before I got home, so apparently there isn't TOO much of a bias against "yankees." In regards to bias against out of state applicants, I suppose anything's possible, but any answer you get here is going to be nothing more than speculation, conjecture, and WAG (exactly what you're doing right now without our help).
      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• 276k-1under
        276k-1under commented
        Editing a comment
        According to the Detective, I passed the question regarding deception and I passed about telling the truth, but somehow failed the question about drugs. if I was lying about drugs, then I would of failed the deception and truth questions, right? because the question asked if I told the truth on my application and another question was about omitting and intentionally being deceptive, and I passed those questions..

• Bing_Oh
        Bing_Oh commented
        Editing a comment
        I've done numerous poly/cvsa's in my career and observed many others (both pre-hire and investigatory). So, I'm always confused when someone comes on here and says that they "failed" a specific question on a pre-hire poly and wonder exactly what they mean.

The thing is, in 20 years in LE, I've never seen an applicant actually get told that he/she failed any part of the process immediately after they did the testing. I've especially never seen a poly operator tell an applicant that they failed the poly AND tell them what question in particular they "failed" on...the operator forwards their results to someone up the food chain and the decision it made there, not by the operator themselves (that's generally above their pay grade). For the vast majority of departments, this simply isn't done...it opens the department up to hiring appeals and (potentially) lawsuits, which is time and money that no PD wants to spend.

So, I wonder if the applicant is reading too much into the process (especially since, as you said, you have not received a formal DQ). Part of the voodoo science of the poly/cvsa is to do followup questions regarding any "questionable" responses.

The other thing is, in the end, it really doesn't matter. If this department DQ's you, and you have a suspicion it was because you weren't a good ole boy, are you planning on appealing it and fighting to get a job at a department where you're not wanted? If you're DQ'ed, accept it and move on to the next opening...Nearly every LEO has their personal stack of rejection letters and some sting more than others. Don't got emotionally invested in the process.

Is this North and South Rivalry still going on as I got called a yankee by the Detective?

In a nutshell, yes. Especially outside large metropolitan areas (which is, of course, most of SC).

Bumper sticker you might see in Horry County, SC:

GIVE A YANKEE DIRECTIONS. POINT HIM NORTH

Some of it, perhaps, is lingering generational resentment about Civil War I, aka The War of Northern Aggression. More likely it has to do with resentment about changing demographics and culture, which has only been accelerated by the influx of retirees and young families immigrating from the colder states to the mid south in the last few years, bringing their disdain of Confederate statues and boiled peanuts.

Did someone intentionally hamstring your poly to keep out a yankee? That seems to be a stretch but I've seen worse shenanigans. Whatever happened, rest assured there are plenty of people who'd prefer New Yorkers just stay in New York....
      Last edited by Ratatatat; 10-11-2020, 10:21 AM.
      What does not kill you will likely try again.

Comment

Bing_Oh commented

The thing is, in 20 years in LE, I've never seen an applicant actually get told that he/she failed any part of the process immediately after they did the testing. I've especially never seen a poly operator tell an applicant that they failed the poly AND tell them what question in particular they "failed" on...the operator forwards their results to someone up the food chain and the decision it made there, not by the operator themselves (that's generally above their pay grade).

About 40 yrs or so ago my polygraph examiner not only told me I passed but went through the entire 30 question graph and explained how I answered each question
        He explained the 3 questions (one question on each set of three tests )he asked that were designed to "make" me lie so he could see how a deceptive answer looked on my graph. Then he showed me that none of the other answers even came close

He couldn't tell me if I was going to get hired as he wasn't a member of the department (he was a detective from the city police in the county I was applying for )

But that was a LONG time ago

Our current Civil Service tests (written and PT) are graded immediately. If the person doesn't pass they are sent home immediately
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3053 users online. 209 members and 2844 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X