Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are you a police officer?

Hey everyone,

I am currently writing a paper on police officers for my college writing class.

I'll get straight to the point. The first line of my essay is this: Have you ever wondered why someone would enter into a profession where there is always the risk of not knowing whether you will still be alive at the end of your shift?
    That's not the "final offical" first sentence of my essay, but it will be something similar.

So, I'd like to ask:

Why are you a police officer? Or is that a retarted question?

Is the answer as obvious as "to protect and serve" or is there more to it? Why would someone risk their life every day, and along the way, having to deal with the fools of society on a daily basis for $35K a year?

What made you become a police officer--despite the risk of knowing you might not come home one day?

Your answers would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for taking time to help me out.

Some of society is born to do the right thing some aren't. Those that are commit themselves to protect those that can not protect themselves.

I do it because it's the right thing to do.
    Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
    I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
    Originally posted by weinerdog2000
    as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

I'm really not sure. I always thought it would be an enjoyable job. It's my third career, and I'm only 25. I'm just searching for something to do that I'll like. So far so good.

Asking why we're cops isn't a stupid question any more than asking why are you taking a college writing class? Granted, I took the same class too back in college so...because you have to is the answer, lol.

We all have different reasons for being cops. Some people do it because they can't find anything else. Some do it purely altruistically. Some do it because it looks cool to them. I enjoy the mind game part of it mostly, i.e. interviewing people, out thinking suspects, applying law and criminal procedure, sorting things out and figuring out the 5 W's, writing a thorough report (yes, I like writing reports),etc. I really could care less about making arrests, giving tickets, beating people up, etc although some cops get off on that. If the need be then I'll do it, obviously, but I'd rather help out in a positive way. Just last night I woke up most of a neighborhood, interviewed them all, sorted through a time line, and found a missing 12 year old girl that didn't want to be found. That stuff is fun and no one got hurt or went to jail in the process (even though I had some liars which I could have charged with "obstructing gov't operations as some of my colleagues would have done). I like that. Granted, the excitement can be enjoyable too, but like I say the mind game is my favorite part. Most of the guys on the department my age want to get into SWAT and maybe narcotics task forces neither of which I care beans about. They're a necessary part of police work, but it's not for me. Maybe I'm just boring, but I like what I like. As far as the salary goes, well, it's about the same as I was making when I was a public school science teacher so it isn't a big deal. The only downside is promotion level salary. The money won't get that much better as I move up unlike it would have if I'd moved from teacher to principal to asst. superintendent, and the like. I was working on that when I got out of education by getting a masters in school administration. Now I'm looking for a new masters program. Any suggestions, lol ??

Why are you interested in the police? Obviously, you are or you wouldn't be writing about it.

Comment

Points to both of you for your great responses!! Thanks!

Yes, I am most definintely interested in a career as a police officer but more along the lines of a state trooper. Sure, the pay isn't that great, but I'm not in it for the money. It's something that I can see myself doing for a long time and I think I'll be happy doing it. I just hope to find a wife who'll go along with me. I think being a cop definitely looks cool.

A saying I once heard sums it up for me: "Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life!"

Comment

deleted...
          Last edited by GrayPatriot; 06-03-2007, 12:59 AM.

Comment

only legal profession I can use handcuffs?
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

My main reasons are - to crush my enemies. See them driven before me; and to hear the lamentations of the women.

Why else?

Comment

I got into this profession because:

1) Every day is different, offering new challenges, potential hazards, but the reward of knowing you've overcome sometimes great obsticles to accomplish something.

2) Excellent pay, benefits, retirement (where I work anyway).

3) The ability to (almost daily) leave work with the knowledge that I've accomplished something I can be proud of.

4) The ability to satisfy my curiosity about what's happening around me and why.
                "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

The two biggest things that stick out in my mind is, first when I was about 10 years old seeing a man stop his car in the middle of a busy street in front of a fire station during rush hour. The man got out of his car went to the passenger side and just about beat his wife to death. At that time I'm guessing it was acceptable because no one lifted a hand to help the woman not even the firefighters. It was scary everyone passing by this car like nothing was happening, crowds of people standing around while this man beat his wife with a belt.

The second incident would have to be a friend of mine was standing in his back yard. He was waiting for us to come over to hangout and while waiting for us he encountered a guy was walking down the street. Thinking it was us he looked at the guy evidently upsetting him and the guy shot him in the chest with a shotgun.

Every since then I knew this was something I wanted to do. I knew I wanted to help people and try to stop things like this from happening. I know I'm not going to save the world, but every little bit helps.
                  Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

So I can drive fast and carry a gun. Or maybe it sounded good when I was younger and then I woke up one day too close to retirement to actually leave. On top of that, it is still (sometimes) interesting and fun. Finally, I will throw out there, is a satisfaction in actually doing the right thing. Most of my friends are not cops, and they almost always start off the conversation asking about my work. As much as I dislike it at times, I still find it interesting (and I still get new, funny stories to tell).

Comment

Originally posted by cst.sb View Post
                      My main reasons are - to crush my enemies. See them driven before me; and to hear the lamentations of the women.

Why else?

GREAT MOVIE! conan

Comment

because....
                        Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3020 users online. 133 members and 2887 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X