Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The strengths that oral board members want to hear...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The strengths that oral board members want to hear...


    Here is my question for everyone. I was told by a deputy friend of mine to be prepared to answer "What are your strengths and weaknesses?" Now I already have the weaknesses down (go figure, lol) but I need to know what "strengths" are they wanting to hear? I know that they don't want to hear hardworking and motivated.

    Thank you so much for your help!

    ~Kristin
    "Concentrate on what cannot lie.....the evidence."

  • #2
    Strengths

    Originally posted by patten2002 View Post

    Here is my question for everyone. I was told by a deputy friend of mine to be prepared to answer "What are your strengths and weaknesses?" Now I already have the weaknesses down (go figure, lol) but I need to know what "strengths" are they wanting to hear? I know that they don't want to hear hardworking and motivated.

    Thank you so much for your help!

    ~Kristin
    Kristen, Perhaps you have a strong desire to be of service. Perhaps you enjoy a challenge. Maybe you're at your best in challenging situations. The list goes on. You know Kristen better than anyone of us. I've posted this before, but once more, isn't going to hurt. I've long felt that an Oral Board serves two basic purposes.

    1). It's an opportunity to "sell yourself"
    2). It's an opportunity for the department to take a look at you.

    Know, as far as selling yourself is concerned, it is possible to over do that. Most cops have built-in B.S. Detectors, and Oral Board members are no exception. Be honest. Answer questions fully, but don't editorialize. Look the Officer who questions you in the eye. When you reply, make eye contact with each member of the board.

    Comment


    • #3
      Now we're gettin' somewhere....

      Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
      Kristen, Perhaps you have a strong desire to be of service. Perhaps you enjoy a challenge. Maybe you're at your best in challenging situations. The list goes on. You know Kristen better than anyone of us. I've posted this before, but once more, isn't going to hurt. I've long felt that an Oral Board serves two basic purposes.

      1). It's an opportunity to "sell yourself"
      2). It's an opportunity for the department to take a look at you.

      Know, as far as selling yourself is concerned, it is possible to over do that. Most cops have built-in B.S. Detectors, and Oral Board members are no exception. Be honest. Answer questions fully, but don't editorialize. Look the Officer who questions you in the eye. When you reply, make eye contact with each member of the board.

      I think the first two are what really say it for me. I do love something that is challenging, but I just have a strong desire to provide public service. I am the type of person who puts others first and cares about the general welfare of someone, even if I've only known them for a few minutes. I love being around people, which is a great quality to have because as an officer about 90% of their time is spent dealing with the public and being in the public eye.

      I'll have to practice looking at everyone else b/c I usually have just looked at the person who has just asked me the question.
      "Concentrate on what cannot lie.....the evidence."

      Comment


      • #4
        When you do give answers to the questions that refer to "your" etc. Make sure your answers are from the heart. Usually it's the weaknesses that candidates have trouble pinpointing. You have that already, so your in a good position. How about honesty or trustworthy? Those are good personal strengths as well.

        Comment


        • #5
          The strengths they want to hear about usually revolve around good character, honesty, and the ability to get along with people of other genders, races, cultures, etc.
          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

          Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

          Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

          Comment


          • #6
            be careful on the weakness part. make sure it has nothing to do with LE work if you know what I mean. you don't want to say " my weakness is I'm quiet and shy or i'm scared of guns or big people, etc"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
              The strengths they want to hear about usually revolve around good character, honesty, and the ability to get along with people of other genders, races, cultures, etc.
              Kieth,

              I'm wondering how I can make a sentence about honesty being a strength? Speaking from the heart, I have a big conscience. I believe in telling the truth the first time because in LE, if you lie, you die. Plus, if you get asked follow up questions after forking over a white lie and you can't answer them, your credibility just goes down the tube.

              But i dunno if that answer is suffice....
              "Concentrate on what cannot lie.....the evidence."

              Comment

              MR300x250 Tablet

              Collapse

              What's Going On

              Collapse

              There are currently 6037 users online. 341 members and 5696 guests.

              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

              Welcome Ad

              Collapse
              Working...
              X