300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here had a job when they were applying for LEO

If you had a job when applying for an LEO positions when did you tell your boss that you were applying for a job as a LEO, and how did he/she take it?

Sad to see me go, but she knew its what I wanted to do for a career. I got an awesome reference. I didnt leave a real "serious" job, I was a valet at a hotel for 3 years before I became a cop.

Comment

I worked for a department store in loss prevention. My boss knew I wanted to be a police officer and I told him when I was applying. He was happy for me and I gave the proper notifications when I was hired, that I would be leaving the store.

Comment

My boss is very supportive. She knows it's what I went to school for, and what I want to do as a career. She even says she can picture me as a police officer and will go to my academy graduation too. I also work very hard too, so maybe this is why she is so supportive.

Comment

I worked as a journeyman clerk for Ralph's. Gave my two week notice "after" I was hired. No one cared either way
          "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Yeah i have a pretty serious job. I work for an engineering company and only recently made the decision that this wasnt for me and a law enforcement career is what i wanted. I am having a difficult time deciding on how and when i want to tell my boss what my plans are. He is really happy with the job I'm doing so i don't think he will take it well loosing me. However i don't want the first word that I'm leaving coming from the background investigator either. Any advice on how and when i should tell my boss the news?

Comment

Wait. I believe I know what agency you are applying to and if you are taking the test in June, your background won't even start for a few months after that IF you score high enough on the B-pad. I wouldn't tell your boss until after the poly.

Comment

Yeah I'm taking the Columbus test, it's tomorrow. I just didn't know how soon after you take the test do they start in on backgrounds. Is there an interview before they start doing background checks, or how does that usually work? I'm sure it's different with every department.

Comment

Having just gone through this, I'll weigh in. At my company (a moderate sized insurance agency) I've seen some people who seemed like decent employees mysteriously disappear, never to be seen again. I've noticed a weird vibe there since the day I started. I waited to tell my manager until the BI told me he would contact my present employer. Luckily I have great relationship with my manager (who agrees about the weird vibe) and she discouraged me from telling anyone else unless it was absolutely necessary. I've been in the hunt for a couple of LE jobs for almost 2 years now and am awaiting final approval from the chief's office at a metro Atlanta agency. My boss seems happy for me, but doesn't want to see me go.

Comment

I'd suggest you not say anything until your background investigator talks to you employer. At that time, indicate that you're considering a change of career. Anytime sooner might be premature, due to the extensive selection process.
                    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

One thing i noticed, my manager wants to make me a supervisor, however... i'm sure in the back of her mind, I could be getting hired soon...

kind of a catch 22 for my situation. As a supervisory position would look good on the resume, but my manager has to look out for her business, and possibly invest her time with someone who is going to be there long term. (and for all I know I could be there another year or two)

so, it's really up to you if you want to share with your employer.

Comment

So your employer will know you're looking for another job prior to being hired?

Comment

Well i wouldn't think my employer would have any idea i am looking for a new job until the BI calls for my background check. I just wasn't sure if the BI would tell me prior to calling my current boss. I also think it is best to wait until the background begins, i would hate to loose my job and then find out that i wasn't selected.

Comment

Well I applied, and some of my associates knew but i didnt tell the boss. I went through all the testing and started the BI, well a few days later my boss calls me in and says so and so from SO called as part of your background process. Im like ohh crap i wanted to tell them first but didnt really have a chance, so she found out what i was doing from the BI. Kinda suprised but supportive. She made sure it was what i wanted to do, and was concerned when I would leave, i told her it would be some time still and i would let her know as soon as I know more info. That was like 3 months ago and im still waiting to be hired.

If it makes a difference this is a very serious/professional position as an account executive.

Comment

so how soon after you filled out your BI information packet did the BI contact your current employer? That is what i don't want to have happen, i don't want the first information that i might be possibly leaving come from the BI.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6388 users online. 366 members and 6022 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X