300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SFPD, I passed the POST written but..

In the letter given by HR, it states that the responses I gave for the PHQ show signs that it "is very unlikely that I would pass the background investigation" and that further I have not been completely eliminated from further consideration. I am scheduled for the Department Interview and Physical in late June and I plan to complete these steps. I really want to be a Police Officer. Can anyone give me advice? Should I be discouraged in my endeavors to join SFPD?

About Me: 22 year old female, ability to understand Spanish and Tagalog (can speak both languages with limited use of vocabulary). Once I figured out I wanted to obtain a career directed towards serving the community I changed my lifestyle – I cut ends with friends/acquaintances that had bad habits or would potentially put me in a bad situation. I’ve been conscious of my actions and have tried to stay clear of things that would jeopardize my background investigation.

The "Good":

*EMT-1 Certified through NREMT, SF County Clearance/Certification pending
    *SFFD NERT (Neighborhood Emergency Response Team) Registered Volunteer until 12/08
    *SFPD Community Police Academy Completed
    *Guard Card and Baton Card cleared with BSIS
    *A.A. in Psychology in progress (3/4 completed)
    *A.S. in Fire Science Technology in progress (1/2 completed)
    *IFPO Certified Protection Officer
    *Currently employed with a Security Department, with para-military values and procedures, currently a Supervisor (job title Sergeant, will get promoted as a Lieutenant in the next month or so)
    *Had 3 full time jobs in lifetime, promoted quickly due to strong work ethics and attitude

The "Bad":

*2 moving violations – 2 years ago for failure to yield to a pedestrian, 1 year speeding
    *1 misdemeanor – PC 484a Petty Theft, resulted in termination at job. This incident occurred when I was 18 (October 2003). First offense, I was advised by my appointed county attorney that if I completed the required community service with the Sheriff’s Work Program the misdemeanor would not be on record. I completed the 72 hours and just found out that it’s on my record.
    *Experimented with marijuana 3 times in lifetime, last tried 2 years ago
    *Unknowingly smoked meth about 4 years ago
    *Dated a minor (17) when I was 20.

Advice and comments are greatly appreciated. Thank You.
    San Francisco Police Department
    Written Test = passed
    Oral Board = passed
    Physical Agility = passed
    Background Packet = turned in July 13th
    Call from BI = December 26, 2007

*fingers crossed*

*1 misdemeanor – PC 484a Petty Theft, resulted in termination at job. This incident occurred when I was 18

all of these incident mentioned by you will give you a hard time being picked up by a department....especially smoking meth and dating the minor...i see that you said unknowingly smoking meth but how is that possible please explain????

also if the department you are trying for does look away or is lenient towards these incidents like the meth and petty theft which i really doubt, you will need more time between those incidents and your application process due to the recency (if thats a word) of these incidents.....
    My goals are simple, I will always be painfully honest,
    Work as hard as I can, learn as much as I can and
    Hopefully make a difference in people’s lives.

Deputy David W. March EOW April 29, 2002

Comment

I wish you luck, but you must keep in mind that although you've listed numerous positive attributes, all it takes is a single negative outside a department's standard to make it all go away.

Although a crime is "not on record" it really is, always, somewhere. And it's not only a conviction of a crime that can disqualify, the conduct itself can be disqualifying. Whether it was reported, you were caught, arrrested, or convicted, makes no difference, it still impacts the background.
      Last edited by The Challenger; 05-30-2007, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Meth issue - At 18 I was very nieve about drugs, outside of weed, cocaine, speed, and prescribed medicince I didn't know much about drugs. My cousin told me that what he was smoking was no worse than smoking weed or shrooms. He convinced me to try and regretfully I took two hits. I know I was in the wrong for even considering experimenting with drugs but at the time my cousin and I were really close and I "trusted" him. Since the whole ordeal, we fell apart because he got addicted to it. He didn't tell me that it was meth until I felt really sick and started vomitting.

Dating a minor - A high school friendship (best-friends type situation) turned into a romantic relationship. We never really had a title, we just hung out a lot. Once I seriously considered law enforcement the relationship ended. It was a real bad break and we basically moved on from the relationship. At this time we do not keep in contact.

"if the department you are trying for does look away or is lenient towards these incidents like the meth and petty theft which i really doubt, you will need more time between those incidents"

- I understand that I have to put time between these incidents and where I am at today. Since these incidents I have steered clear from trouble, focused on continuing my education, and worked on gaining skills and knowledge that can be applied towards a civil service type job . I am hopeful in proving my growth, maturity, and seriousness in becoming a police officer.

Thank you for your response.
        San Francisco Police Department
        Written Test = passed
        Oral Board = passed
        Physical Agility = passed
        Background Packet = turned in July 13th
        Call from BI = December 26, 2007

*fingers crossed*

Comment

With the Meth use...inadvertant or not you will probably never be a LEO...I know where I am at anything other than pot is auto DQ for ever...

Sorry it is harsh but a reality...

Cer

Comment

Sorry but I hate to say it too, but the Meth along with the theft charge is going to get you. If you ever tried Meth or any other drug, even if you thought it was something else is pretty much grounds for an automatic DQ. Especially since Meth has created so many problems for LE.

Comment

Sfpd

Originally posted by kolohe View Post
              Meth issue - At 18 I was very nieve about drugs, outside of weed, cocaine, speed, and prescribed medicince I didn't know much about drugs. My cousin told me that what he was smoking was no worse than smoking weed or shrooms. He convinced me to try and regretfully I took two hits. I know I was in the wrong for even considering experimenting with drugs but at the time my cousin and I were really close and I "trusted" him. Since the whole ordeal, we fell apart because he got addicted to it. He didn't tell me that it was meth until I felt really sick and started vomitting.

Dating a minor - A high school friendship (best-friends type situation) turned into a romantic relationship. We never really had a title, we just hung out a lot. Once I seriously considered law enforcement the relationship ended. It was a real bad break and we basically moved on from the relationship. At this time we do not keep in contact.

"if the department you are trying for does look away or is lenient towards these incidents like the meth and petty theft which i really doubt, you will need more time between those incidents"

- I understand that I have to put time between these incidents and where I am at today. Since these incidents I have steered clear from trouble, focused on continuing my education, and worked on gaining skills and knowledge that can be applied towards a civil service type job . I am hopeful in proving my growth, maturity, and seriousness in becoming a police officer.

Thank you for your response.
              I recommend you read your posts again. The meth use, "inadvertant or otherwise" is going to be a major problem. I also noted considerable "rationalization" surrounding the illegal activities you noted. Rationalization is a fancy word for excuse. You can argue that I don't really know you, and that would be true. Neither does the SFPD. What they do know,is that your background has some problems. Keep in mind too, that in a police Background Investigation, there is no such thing as an expungement, or a sealed record. They can all be, and are, accessed by the Background Investigator. You can go ahead and report for the next phase(s) of the exam, if the department allows that. Realistically, you are probably going to DQ. As difficult as that might be, please don't let it stop you in leading the responsible life you seem to have embarked on.

Comment

You're 22 now. not a lot of time has passed with some of the things you brought up. maybe with some time in between and continued "good" and responsible behavior, you may get a better chance.

The Meth use is a biggie in SF (and most other departments). SF has tightened up a lot on their hiring standards.

Insofar as your petty theft, you have to petition the court to expunge the record. It does not happen by itself. Any conviction, i.e. connected by fingerprinting, will show up. Best to reveal this information on your PHS and explain it away rather than hide it. It will be found by the BI.

Perhaps, you may wish to continue for the experience of it all. It may be helpful in the future. SF has appeals processes for each step of the process - should you not agree with whatever the initial finding(s) are.

It's going to be tough to get on now - IMO. Good luck
                ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
                -- John Wayne

Comment

Your transgressions are a bit recent. That will be your major obstacle right now. But, no need to be discouraged to the point of giving up on your LE endeavors. Your shortcomings will dissipate in time, provided you keep your nose clean. Your best ally at the moment is time. You age is a factor as well both good and bad. (Bad)-Regardless of what your maturity level is right now, a good background investigator will err on the side of caution. At 22 yrs old and considering the recent choices you've made, a BI will assume the maturity level is not there yet. (Good)-You're young. You have plenty of time to build a solid background/resume. Good luck..

Comment

Originally posted by kolohe View Post
                    In the letter given by HR, it states that the responses I gave for the PHQ show signs that it "is very unlikely that I would pass the background investigation" and that further I have not been completely eliminated from further consideration. I am scheduled for the Department Interview and Physical in late June and I plan to complete these steps. I really want to be a Police Officer. Can anyone give me advice? Should I be discouraged in my endeavors to join SFPD?

About Me: 22 year old female, ability to understand Spanish and Tagalog (can speak both languages with limited use of vocabulary). Once I figured out I wanted to obtain a career directed towards serving the community I changed my lifestyle – I cut ends with friends/acquaintances that had bad habits or would potentially put me in a bad situation. I’ve been conscious of my actions and have tried to stay clear of things that would jeopardize my background investigation.

The "Good":

*EMT-1 Certified through NREMT, SF County Clearance/Certification pending
                    *SFFD NERT (Neighborhood Emergency Response Team) Registered Volunteer until 12/08
                    *SFPD Community Police Academy Completed
                    *Guard Card and Baton Card cleared with BSIS
                    *A.A. in Psychology in progress (3/4 completed)
                    *A.S. in Fire Science Technology in progress (1/2 completed)
                    *IFPO Certified Protection Officer
                    *Currently employed with a Security Department, with para-military values and procedures, currently a Supervisor (job title Sergeant, will get promoted as a Lieutenant in the next month or so)
                    *Had 3 full time jobs in lifetime, promoted quickly due to strong work ethics and attitude

The "Bad":

*2 moving violations – 2 years ago for failure to yield to a pedestrian, 1 year speeding
                    *1 misdemeanor – PC 484a Petty Theft, resulted in termination at job. This incident occurred when I was 18 (October 2003). First offense, I was advised by my appointed county attorney that if I completed the required community service with the Sheriff’s Work Program the misdemeanor would not be on record. I completed the 72 hours and just found out that it’s on my record.

Advice and comments are greatly appreciated. Thank You.
                    Hey, I just received the letter from SFPD (HR) and was fortunate to have passed the PHQ as I am also scheduled for interview and physical in June. The use of meth and a misdemeanor charge might have hurt you a bit. You might be right on the bubble therefore you are not yet totally screened out of the hiring process. Take this opportunity and shine during the oral board etc. and prove yourself as a worthy candidate despite all the odds and negativities. Good Luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3137 users online. 143 members and 2994 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X