Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appealing polygraph result

Hello,

I recently completed my oral board interview and ranked 5 out of 75 applicants. I completed my polygraph test today. In short, I was told by the examiner I failed.

To be clear, I did not lie and know that honesty and integrity is one of the most valuable characteristics of being a law enforcement officer. I currently work in child protective services and I live by that virtue period. I’m also not stupid enough to jeopardize my future by lying and was 100 percent honest on my PHQ which they reviewed prior to the oral board. Not to mention, I’m early in the process with 2 other departments and realize lying would screw those opportunities if things don’t work out with this department. Here’s what I’m confused about and was wondering if someone might have some suggestions.

1. I didn’t lie at any point yet that’s the reason why I failed. The examiner was not able to point to any part of the exam where he thought I was being dishonest.
    2. I felt very calm and do not think my nerves could have contributed to it.
    3. After completing all the questions, the examiner took off all the gear strapped on to me and said he’s 100 percent sure I was being dishonest on one of the questions. I know this is a method used to get people to feel false guilt and try to get you to change your answer. I told him I have been 100 percent honest, and did not lie about anything. At least 5 or 6 times he said I believe in 2nd chances so I want to give you one, no ones perfect, just come clean, etc. I held firm to the truth which was that I didn’t lie.
    4. I asked if I could speak to HR and appeal since I do not feel like the results were accurate. He told me that I don’t think need to because I’m not disqualified from the process (the next steps are extensive background check, chief interview, conditional offer- academy). I asked how that was possible since he communicated I failed. He said that’s just what we do.
    5. My recommendations and parents were sent letters of questionnaires to fill out for me about my character from the department yesterday.
    6. The government job site that indicates what step we’re on in the process said Polygraph this morning, and background investigation a little after the polygraph.

A family friend in SWAT in another department told me to appeal since it seems shady. Any thoughts? Thanks.

It’s not shady. Your “friend” is talking out his ***.They’ll take the info into consideration among other factors.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Appeal to your heart's content. A polygraph examination consists of a (hopefully) competent, trained, and experienced operator utilizing scientific equipment to record biometric responses to stimuli during the examination, and render the examiner's opinion regarding the level of truthfulness in the examinee's responses. Polygraph experts like to treat all of this like rocket science or brain surgery, but in the final analysis the process is subjective to some degree (depending on testing conditions and the examiner involved). There is a very valid reason why polygraph results are not allowed as evidence in any court in the country.

You may be successful in attacking the specifics of your polygraph examination. You may be successful in challenging the science involved, or the equipment utilized. You may be successful in challenging the examiner's techniques or qualifications. Regardless, you will end up with a red circle around your name on the list of applicants.

Having a red circle around your name on the list is not likely to help you gain employment with any department. There are too many other applicants to choose from.

Comment

Until you are formally notified in writing that you have been disqualified or otherwise removed from the hiring process, there is nothing to appeal. Keep your mouth shut and move on. If you try to appeal something that has not happened, you will only look like a whiner.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Mrmoore614
          Mrmoore614 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. I received an email from the background investigator the next day so I guess I’m just a little perplexed. This is my first time going through the process.

• L-1
          L-1 commented
          Editing a comment
          And what, pray tell, did your BI say in his email?

• Mrmoore614
          Mrmoore614 commented
          Editing a comment
          He asked if I could notify my references and previous supervisors that he sent out a questionnaire, and for them to check their spam folder.

• L-1
          L-1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Stop and think for a moment. Departments do not send out questionnaires on applicants who failed the poly. They ask youeself why the poly operator may havve said what he did.

Learn not to knee jerk and to refrain from taking action until there is a legitimate basis for doing so. Otherwise, you will be a PITA officer no one wants to work with. With your mindset, I'm wondering how you will do on the psych.

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        Until you are formally notified in writing that you have been disqualified or otherwise removed from the hiring process, there is nothing to appeal. Keep your mouth shut and move on. If you try to appeal something that has not happened, you will only look like a whiner.

This.

Comment

Based on the OP's comment to L-1, it sounds like they were NOT disqualified if their BI is sending out background questionaires.
          Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. An all expenses paid trip with travel, meals, and accommodations included!

Comment

In short, I was told by the examiner I failed.
            This in itself is doubtful, unless the operator was trying to provoke a confession. You'd be amazed what people blurt out when confronted with a "lie".

Most examiners will tell you a poly isn't something you pass or fail. A poly gives indications, it isn't absolute... and frankly, a good interviewer can do the same thing as a poly without the machine.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

L1- Thank you for your feedback sir. I greatly appreciate it. As I said previously, this is my first time going through the process. I have never been through a background investigation or taken a polygraph before. When I sent this post, it was the day I took the polygraph, and before I received an email from the BI. My main concern was being stamped with a failed polygraph for lying because I’m in the process with 2 other departments. That was the reason why I inquired about reaching out to HR, which I haven’t done. I understand why you might think that’s a knee jerk reaction, but hopefully you see where I’m coming from. I have worked hard during this process and don’t want to be eliminated because of someone’s subjective interpretation. In terms of the psych, I respectfully disagree. I have been a intake investigator in child protective services for the past 5 years. The only form of protection I have is my ability to de-escalate with my words, and I experience situations on a daily basis that require restraint.

tank soldier: Thank you for your response sir. He did not communicate any of that. On the contrary, he said he was 100 percent sure I was lying during a portion of the test.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmoore614 View Post
                He did not communicate any of that. On the contrary, he said he was 100 percent sure I was lying during a portion of the test.
                That's the whole point of the polygraph, to check your integrity and stability when there's a bit of pressure on you.

Like 90% of my Academy classmates had the polygrapher tell them they were lying and that they failed the polygraph. Mine didn't, but I had a different tester who, I assume, was running with a different tactic.
                "Don't do that." - DT Instructor

Comment

tank soldier: Thank you for your response sir. He did not communicate any of that. On the contrary, he said he was 100 percent sure I was lying during a portion of the test.
                  Of course he didn't tell YOU that. I mean, when poly examiners talk to other LE types about what they can do and can't do. The machine's main usefulness is that it's THERE, not what it tells the examiner.

I've taken 3 polys, and been told I was lying each time. It's a tactic... like keeping two suspects separate and telling each what the other said.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I don't think the poly is your biggest challenge- I think the psych is...

Comment

Aidokea- What do you mean?

Comment

L-1 covered it above- you're getting all wrapped around the axle and wanting to appeal something that hasn't even happened.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4110 users online. 207 members and 3903 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X